Whether we were seriously going for the title or not, 10 games left and top of the league (for now). The team needs to bring their A-game for the remaining matches.

City imo are still favorites but we're so, so close to the finishing line. It would be a big shame for us slip up now. If it's true that Mourinho didn't say anything to team during half time then that's very reassuring because it shows that the team has the tactical maturity to turn around a poor first half and go on to win a game convincingly without Mourinho's intervention. That second half performance against Fulham and the late winner against Everton are comforting signs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether we were seriously going for the title or not, 10 games left and top of the league (for now). The team needs to bring their A-game for the remaining matches.

City imo are still favorites but we're so, so close to the finishing line. It would be a big shame for us slip up now. If it's true that Mourinho didn't say anything to team during half time then that's very reassuring because it shows that the team has the tactical maturity to turn around a poor first half and go on to win a game convincingly without Mourinho's intervention. That second half performance against Fulham and the late winner against Everton are comforting signs.

Why was the first half poor?

Against Fulham? I'm not sure, but it was a very poor performance by the team.

Well I understand why you would say that and I do respect it a lot. But we pretty much dominated the first half as far as I remember. I think it was only Dempsy's header that posed some threat ( but still of target). Their midfield and defense were just a mess.We constantly put presssure on therm, forced them to lose the ball quickly and create nearly no chances. Torres should have scored at least once. I just think that after we scored our first goal, Fulham was forced to open up because of their critical position in the league table and with their weak defense we were able to exploit the gaps they left behind as they tried ti move forward yet failed. I think the only player who improved in the second half significantly was Schurrle, not because he scored three times, but because he made great runs and created space for himself. I don't recall any great difference in performance from any of the players. I am not saying they were bad. I am just trying to say that they were good tactically from the first half but it all payed off in the second. I might be wrong but that is how I kind saw it.

Although unlikely, hope Sunderland can cause an upset today and beat City. That could be a potentially damaging psychological blow to them if they were to lose. Would increase the pressure on them and especially when Pellegrini himself hasn't won any trophies in his career so far. Might not know how to handle the issue if it happens.

Well Sunderland scored :). Maybe it could happen mate

Why was the first half poor?

It was very disjointed all round. Clattenberg didn't let the game run, there were a couple of breaks early on for injuries and no-one was setting the tempo.

In the second-half Hazard seemed to come central a lot more and take a bit of responsibility.

Ultimately though, we're still a team without a decent striker and increasingly looking a little lost in midfield. Jose's right in what he says that our position is false.

It was very disjointed all round. Clattenberg didn't let the game run, there were a couple of breaks early on for injuries and no-one was setting the tempo.

In the second-half Hazard seemed to come central a lot more and take a bit of responsibility.

Ultimately though, we're still a team without a decent striker and increasingly looking a little lost in midfield. Jose's right in what he says that our position is false.

But do you think there was a significant change in the players' performance or was it because the game changed tactically after we scored our first goal?

But do you think there was a significant change in the players' performance or was it because the game changed tactically after we scored our first goal?

Fulham did seem to push up a little in the second-half which is why Schurrle could get behind them, but he couldn't buy a first touch in the first-half whereas that cushioned ball to Hazard was perfect. Then you have to say that Hazard seemed to come inside a bit more to be there for that pass.

I just think we're very lucky to have people in the squad who have been there and got the t-shirt and probably had a few words to say in the half-time break. Everything seemed to just slot into place better in that second-half. Completely speculating but I also think not having the sun right in our eyes might've helped too.

The difference between the first half and the second, imo, is just the runs. In the first half, our front four did not make runs, did not move right and create space. We also lost most of the aerial duels and second balls.

The difference between the first half and the second, imo, is just the runs. In the first half, our front four did not make runs, did not move right and create space. We also lost most of the aerial duels and second balls.

But it was only Schurrle who made the runs in the second half, unless I am mistaken? Oscar was more defensive

Well I understand why you would say that and I do respect it a lot. But we pretty much dominated the first half as far as I remember. I think it was only Dempsy's header that posed some threat ( but still of target). Their midfield and defense were just a mess.We constantly put presssure on therm, forced them to lose the ball quickly and create nearly no chances. Torres should have scored at least once. I just think that after we scored our first goal, Fulham was forced to open up because of their critical position in the league table and with their weak defense we were able to exploit the gaps they left behind as they tried ti move forward yet failed. I think the only player who improved in the second half significantly was Schurrle, not because he scored three times, but because he made great runs and created space for himself. I don't recall any great difference in performance from any of the players. I am not saying they were bad. I am just trying to say that they were good tactically from the first half but it all payed off in the second. I might be wrong but that is how I kind saw it.

I think Hazard improved significantly and so did Schurrle. I also don't think the runs Schurrle made were accidental. In second half there was a deliberate effort at getting in behind the fulham defence, whether that was Mourinho's or Steve Holland's instructions or not, I don't know. But imo there were definitely some tactical adjustments in the 2nd half.

It also helped that Scott and Sidwell (who were very lively in the first half) began to tire and that allowed us to impose our game some more. Everything actually just fell into place in the second half. weird game.

But it was only Schurrle who made the runs in the second half, unless I am mistaken? Oscar was more defensive

Not just runs behind the defense, those are the easiest to make, but general runs to create spaces for teammates, like Torres making diagonal runs to create space centrally for Eden to attack, or diagonal runs from Hazard and Schurrle to the center to create spaces down the flanks or put Torres 1-vs1 with a defender and even over lapping runs from full backs or Oscar down flank to get rid of double markings and most importantly runs or just general movement from the three behind the striker to pick up the ball from deep.

Every game a cup final etc.One draw/loss and could be the difference.City and Arsenal look likely to be out of Europe but never know could turn it around.We're not exactly through yet so all this they have less distraction in that sense may not come into play

City game in hands,pressure for them just depends how they respond to it...nervey times ahead