Our strikers situation and looking forward into the future

Mouri_Matic

So as we know, Suarez just fucked those Spuds hard and is unplayable atm, yesterday City strikers also made Arsenal look like mugs so it makes me wonder about our striker situation. In January, I don't think we will sign any striker, partly because hardly any good ones are available and especially not at reasonable prices, so summer will be the time.

Assume we make the CL, we won't win the title based on current team, simple as that. So we need a striker. By then Eto'o would probably/most likely have left the club, Ba maybe out too. Torres will stay because no one wants him and he is improving his richness here. Lukaku will come back but again we don't know how trustful Jose is of him. So my question is do you guys think we should so big on a TOP CLASS striker or settle for good/decent ones like BA before and hope he makes it big?

Now assume we will have at least £50-£60m to spend, maybe even more depends on who we will sell(Luiz,Mata possibly) we could have nearly £100m. Do you guys think it will be worth it if we spend the majority or all of that on a top class striker?

Suarez-£70-£100m

Diego Costa-£50m

Rooney(if he wants out)-£25-£35m and HUGE WAGES

Falcao(if he wants out)- £45-£60m and HUGE WAGES

Cavani(really unlikely but he might want out some how)-£50-£60m

Is this worth it to spend this much on 1 world class player or sign a few decent ones like Yilmaz for £10m and hope he turns world class some how. I know we need another CB and a CDM but you can all see what a difference a world class striker can make to a team. Ronaldo/Bale, Messi/Neymar, Suarez, Falcao, Cavani/Ibra, Rooney/RVP

It could be the difference between winning the league and becoming title challengers, which we are atm. So opinions please

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know If our problem is just strikers.

The linkup between defense and attack is worse. Too slow

It's either a sideways/backwards pass until someone from attack drops deep to receive the ball, or a hoof from Luiz to a striker that can't hold up the ball.

We still suck in front of goal though

Our strikers situation and looking forward into the future

Strikers situation is bad (Though there are loads of other factors as well)

The future is Lukaku who is out on loan and he is one that should be looked for the present & the foreseeable future.

The thing is like I said are JOSE going to give him chances? Or decide to ditch him like he is doing to Kevin. And is he ever going to become world class, Suarez/Falcao/Cavani like esque.

diego costa and giuseppe rossi

diego costa has a release clause worth 38 m euros. rossi would be another 20 if not more. would be 58 million alone on strikers. futhermore, we arent playing with 2 strikers (at least atm) and Rossi surely wont come here to play the 2nd gear. I think one top-class striker is enough, hold on Lukaku and than maybe sign one older striker (like pizarro), who can still score some goals. that woudl be a good mixture. but I think Torres will stay, so we only will probably buy one striker.

futhermore we need one LB, maybe one CB and also one or two CMs/DMs. so we need to spend huge amounts of money in the next summer, and I dont know if it is worth to spend 40 m on 1 player. its also questionable if Diego Costa can play as a lone striker because at Atletico they often play with 2 strikers or even put Costa as an RW.

Rooney would be the PERFECT player, but I dont think United will sell him. DailyMail reported today that they will offer him a 5-year contract :/

I know what you're saying but even then an elite striker would be able to make things happen for himself and the players behind him. Not every goal is going to be a tap-in from two yards. Elite strikers do amazing things, it's why they're paid the big money. So whilst what you're saying has merit we still do have a problem with our strikers, especially for a club of our stature and aspirations.

Carlo on why our strikers don't score

"Chelsea's style of play is essentially false 9, You never see them whipping in crosses, or putting through balls for the striker. Neither do their three attacking midfielders play around the striker.

They play among themselves, Their only problem is that instead of deploying a player to protect the defense and playing outright false 9, they use that player as a striker who is essentially useless.

They could put Falcao, Cavani, Lewandowski, Messi, Rooney, Van Persie, absolutely anyone as a no.9, their striker will never score 30 odd goals a season or bang hat-tricks with this system. And also they will keep losing games because while playing false 9, one player is required to protect the defense. Instead that one player (striker) is doing nothing on the field."

Out of the strikers you mentioned:

Suarez - ZERO chance he would leave Liverpool for us.

Diego Costa - Possible. But not before summer.

Rooney - According to the media, he does seem to want out. According to commonsense, he HAS to want out of that sinking boat. That said, I don't believe he would leave United for Chelsea. The United fans would hate him forever and he doesn't strike me as a player who would want to go through that. When he leaves, he will go to PSG. I'm sure of it.

Falcao - Would come overpriced.

Cavani - Would come overpriced.

--------

Personally, I think Diego Costa is the only realistic option we have.

Diego Costa, Lukaku and Torres, and the striker debate will be over in Chelsea.

"Chelsea's style of play is essentially false 9, You never see them whipping in crosses, or putting through balls for the striker. Neither do their three attacking midfielders play around the striker.

They play among themselves, Their only problem is that instead of deploying a player to protect the defense and playing outright false 9, they use that player as a striker who is essentially useless.

They could put Falcao, Cavani, Lewandowski, Messi, Rooney, Van Persie, absolutely anyone as a no.9, their striker will never score 30 odd goals a season or bang hat-tricks with this system. And also they will keep losing games because while playing false 9, one player is required to protect the defense. Instead that one player (striker) is doing nothing on the field."

Sort of true back then but now with all these attacking mid we got I think that can change, and even then Drogba managed 30 goals, the only time in the last 10-15 years for us in the league?

Our Strikers have a total of 8 goals in the EPL for the Year 2013 swoon.gif

It's definitely not the only problem we have in the team but it's the most glaring problem we have had over the last 3 years. If we had a World Class striker it would have made a World of difference and I think we would have won the title a few times, currently we have a bunch of strikers who would not be first choice in any top club in the continent.

Also supposedly Torres is a player who links up well with our midfield and plays a lot of our most important matches is the worst passer in the team. There is a myth that he holds up the ball and links up play with our creative midfielders better than the rest of our strikers(including the lad we send on loan). Yet this myth is disapproved by how bad his passing is, only half of dozen outfield players(with over 5 starts in the EPL) have worse passing percentage in the EPL this season:

Libor Kozák 55%

Cameron Jerome 56%

Christian Benteke 57%

Modibo Maiga 58%

Steven Fletcher 59%

Shane Long 62%

Peter Crouch 63%

Théophile-Catherine 64%

Torres 64%

Demba Ba 71%

Eto'o 76%

So it's not only finishing that appears to a problem for our strikers, they also have difficulty keeping the ball and combining with their teammates in the final third. It's no coincidence that we usually pressure teams much better with Eto'o in the team. Because he doesn't needlessly lose the ball thus we keep possession in dangerous areas instead of allowing opportunities for opposition to counter attack.

None of our strikers are able to constantly score; but also they are by far our worst players in the final third. None of them are match winners and we continue relying for midfielders and defenders to bail us out - it puts extra pressure on our players to get goals and they end up taking the wrong decision. A cable striker can make a huge difference - it's a confidence booster for the whole team when you have a striker banging goals in and all you need to do when he is in form is get the ball into his feet. I remember that season Drogba was unplayable virtually he would take the ball on the halfway line and opposition defenders would shit their pants.

I think Carlo has this one spot on, the brief interlude being Carlo's own time here.

We could have Luis Edison Falcao playing for us and he'd have trouble getting 20 goals a season in the PL for us because of this style.

Drogba was exceptional, now he's gone, there's a Drogba sized hole - that won't get filled. There truly was 'one Didier Drogba' and we've not found a solution to the situation since he went.