Our strikers situation and looking forward into the future

Mouri_Matic

I think Carlo has this one spot on, the brief interlude being Carlo's own time here.

We could have Luis Edison Falcao playing for us and he'd have trouble getting 20 goals a season in the PL for us because of this style.

Drogba was exceptional, now he's gone, there's a Drogba sized hole - that won't get filled. There truly was 'one Didier Drogba' and we've not found a solution to the situation since he went.

If we had Ronaldo here now I am sure he would still bang in 30 goals for us min

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had Ronaldo here now I am sure he would still bang in 30 goals for us min

He might, although it's no certainty for us. I'd have money with you he wouldn't get 50+ like he does in Spain.

Our goals, and for a good few seasons get shared around. That's why when the midfield doesn't score we struggle a bit.

He might, although it's no certainty for us. I'd have money with you he wouldn't get 50+ like he does in Spain.

Our goals, and for a good few seasons get shared around. That's why when the midfield doesn't score we struggle a bit.

I guess it's no coincidence our strikers have started struggling ever since Drogba got malaria; Anelka got old and we signed Torres and started playing him up top

No one can actually tell me that 17 goals in 94 matches over three years is normal even if we were bloody Stoke pumping the ball up for Crouch I'd expect him to score more League goals than that in 94 matches(Just checked Crouch has 26 goals in 93 matches for bloody Stoke). Torres has been holding us back and the strikers we have signed since he came are only decent backups for a club with our aspirations.

Had Lukaku or Sturridge had actually been played as much as Torres they would have been developed by CFC and would comfortably dwarf his contribution to us in the League

I guess it's no coincidence our strikers have started struggling ever since Drogba got malaria; Anelka got old and we signed Torres and started playing him up top

Had Lukaku or Sturridge had actually been played as much as Torres they would have been developed by CFC and would comfortably dwarf his contribution to us in the League

The point I was making was Drogba in him pomp and at his best was a beast, it was like having two men up there. We've done nothing to replace him or create a style where a striker, any striker will flourish.

It's not Torres's fault or any single player, it's the short-term ism that's been created by the club.

Sturridge was not and Lukaku may not be the answer. Sturridge, in my opinion will crash and burn at Liverpool, just an opinion I have of him and his persona. Lukaku wants space to run into, we don't play like that. Liverpool built their attacking style around Torres and won knob-all because of that.

Things have to change, systems and personnel, for us to see a 20/30 goal a season man - or find another Didier.

Drogba played the last 4 seasons for us managing a knee condition, makes him that bit more remarkable really.

The thing is our mid might have scored enough goals for us to remain competitive, but they are never going to make that 'WOW' moments that only top class strikers do. For example Suarez against Spurs, Messi a few years ago against Arsenal when he scored 4, Ronaldo like he did for Portugal, Falcao against ourselves in that Super Cup, RVP through so many games last season and so on...

Yes Hazard, Schurrle, Oscar...etc will/just score enough goals for us to beat the likes of Hull, Fulham and sometime just about like against Man City, but when we really need inspiration are they really going to be able to deliver? That Hazard performance against Sunderland was a 1 off rather than signs of things to come imo. We need a striker that put that sort of performance in weekly.

The point I was making was Drogba in him pomp and at his best was a beast, it was like having two men up there. We've done nothing to replace him or create a style where a striker, any striker will flourish.

It's not Torres's fault or any single player, it's the short-term ism that's been created by the club.

Sturridge was not and Lukaku may not be the answer. Sturridge, in my opinion will crash and burn at Liverpool, just an opinion I have of him and his persona. Lukaku wants space to run into, we don't play like that. Liverpool built their attacking style around Torres and won knob-all because of that.

Things have to change, systems and personnel, for us to see a 20/30 goal a season man - or find another Didier.

Drogba played the last 4 seasons for us managing a knee condition, makes him that bit more remarkable really.

Drogba was World Class; same as RvP; Kun; Suarez; Falcao; Cavani; Zlatan etc - declined because of age and illnesses and couldn't be an automatic first team player in all of our matches, but he still had enough in the tank to drag us to a CL Win and FA Cup Triumph.

Torres with those numbers is lucky to be playing in the EPL, when you get outscored by Crouch over a 3 year period there is serious questions that the Board and Torres should be asking of his performances. It's unacceptable and I'm tired of people making excuses for his pathetic form in the EPL. Torres 17 goals in 94 matches are a tally which is more suited for a player who is in a relegation bound team each season.

Sturridge has already scored more match changing goals in a year than Torres has done so in three; took a pay cut to join Pool and has far exceeded the expectations bestowed upon him. It's no coincidence that Pools form has put them into the CL spots after Sturridge and Coutinho were signed.

You're making it sound like there is no space for our forwards to run into - yet time and time again our forwards are too slow to outrun defenders - we score plenty of goals on the counter attack but Torres/Ba are so immobile they are rarely in a position for an easy tap in inside the box.

We don't need to change anything - just sign a Class striker that our midfielders can have confidence in as opposed to strikers that are either past their best by dates or colossal flops who can't hit the target from 6 yards out.

Drogba was World Class, our strikers cannot even be classified as playing the same sport as him.

Try to suggest realistic target buddy, or just mention the obvious one:Messi or Ronaldo :ph34r:

Maybe Lewa is unrealistic because he is connected to Bayern long ago .But if he is connected to Bayern Mandzukic will leave cause he doesn't want to be second choice.

However,if Lewa don't sign for Bayern is free player at summer,and I do not see reason why is he unrealistic then.

So,buddy,One player opens up the door of another player for us :rolleyes:

Maybe Lewa is unrealistic because he is connected to Bayern long ago .But if he is connected to Bayern Mandzukic will leave cause he doesn't want to be second choice.

However,if Lewa don't sign for Bayern is free player at summer,and I do not see reason why is he unrealistic then.

So,buddy,One player opens up the door of another player for us :rolleyes:

Or you know, they might just keep him and sign Lewan...After all they only have 1 good striker there atm don't they. When Sanchez signed Pedro didn't leave Barca. It is the same with us this summer that is why Mata, Kevin is still here for now. Just that we have too much depth

Or you know, they might just keep him and sign Lewan...After all they only have 1 good striker there atm don't they. When Sanchez signed Pedro didn't leave Barca. It is the same with us this summer that is why Mata, Kevin is still here for now. Just that we have too much depth

You can't compare Lewa and Mandzukic with Pedro and Sanchez.Mandzukic is player who wants to play every single match,you saw this september his angry after 2 or 3 match that Guardila benched him.

And even if they keep both players,Mandzukic and Lewa and if they both play together they will need to change whole tactic they played this season,so,Mandzukic or Lewa,you'll see.

We should have bid on Mario Gomez, always in the right place. Budget wise, Jackson Martinez might cut it or a long shot the untested Mitroglu. Diego Costa would be perfect for us, give us the intimidating physical edge we have been lacking for along time. Champions league would be the problem and the best players are in it, so they are ineligible.

Just reading through Topics here...

People saying Eto'o did well tonight, and Ba put himself about

1. Eto'o good have sat on the goal line tonight and we wouldn't have noticed any difference

and 2. BA seems to like lying on the grass a lot.

What planet are you on if you think these players are good let alone chelsea quality?