Our strikers situation and looking forward into the future

Mouri_Matic

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any player in their prime? Didier Drogba because he's a club legend and provides value in every part of the pitch whether it be defensively, wing play, holding up the ball, or scoring goals.

Any current player? CR7. He's absolutely deadly on the counter, brilliant in the air, and proven in multiple leagues including the one we're in. I don't think Messi would be nearly as effective in our current squad.

Also Drogba was a big game player. Henry played in about 15 finals and never scored a single goal. :Goober:

Henry was a great player though and one of the best strikers of all time. If he led the line now we'd be leading the league by 10+ points.

We are having a quite of a problem with scoring this year.

It's not that the team lacks of quality or good chances, it's just there is some problem of converting those good chances into goals and winning games.

Let's just hope that Mourihno's ability will help settle down those nerves, and we will soon be going on a winning streak to climb to the top of the table and reach the final of the Champion's League.

I dont regret signing Torres as much I regret we missed on Aguero. Absolutely wonderful player, young and would fit this team perfectly.

Anyway, we have Lukaku but I feel we need a leader in attack, somene who has enough experience and skill to win a match when the rest cant do it.

Costa is good striker, but I have doubts abouth him; character, new league and how much can he improve his game? Im afraid there are not many other options...and he is still best one.

3-4 years ago did anyone imagine we'd be slating Torres AND Eto'o in our team? Two signings that were made too late, though their regression from being the best in the world to this is pretty amazing to think about. A footballer's career really is short.

Eto'o's career as world's best began in 2003 and ended in 2011; call it short...

Torres, on the other hand, while being 3 years younger than Eto'o, in late 2008 was already finished.

Assuming we don't sign a forward this January, it's time to choose one that will play every game unless they are suspended or injured.

Torres is a no-no for me, he has had this chance already, he started 27 of our first 29 games last season and if im not mistaken only got subbed off in two of those (QPR and West Brom), so that's 25 full 90 minutes he had in 29 games, and was poor in most of them.

Now do i believe Eto'o or Ba will do better if they got that amount of game time? i am almost certain.

Eto'o has only started more than 1 in a row 3 times when he first came in against Everton, Basle and Fulham then against Schalke, West Brom and West Ham and he scored 3 in 3, now against against Swansea and Liverpool and he got the winner in one of them.

As for Ba, i don't think he has started 2 in a row that often, let alone more than that.

So if we don't sign a forward next month, we should choose Eto'o or Ba to lead the line and stick with them until May, Torres we know will blow the chance because he has had it before, Eto'o or Ba might not take the chance either, but we won't know until we try.