• Torres
    • Schurrle(sub)
    • Lukaku(sub)
    • Marco van Ginkel(sub)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy with that, what we need to remember is we have Villa on Wednesday, we could have gone gun hoe and hit 6, but then we would be knackered for Villa. That was our problem under Carlo, when went gun hoe for 90 minutes and battered teams it was great, but if we had a game a few days later we would pay the price, rather two 2-0's than an 8-0 and 1-1.

Happy with that, what we need to remember is we have Villa on Wednesday, we could have gone gun hoe and hit 6, but then we would be knackered for Villa. That was our problem under Carlo, when went gun hoe for 90 minutes and battered teams it was great, but if we had a game a few days later we would pay the price, rather two 2-0's than an 8-0 and 1-1.

I don't think we went gung-ho in those matches when we battered teams 7/8-0 under Ancelotti. It's just that we played at a good tempo consistently from start to finish, just probably not as intense like today, and more importantly, we were efficient in converting the chances. Not the case now and anyway, when we did mess up matches after thrashing a team, it's more gotta do with the attitude and mentality if anything rather than tiredness.

With Jose's decision to start Lampard im afraid we're about to get to another season without a proper solution for the pivot.. i hope MVG would step it up and be that man besides Ramires, if not its going to be a hugh problem. I hope Jose havent meant that Lampard will be our first choise for the all season.

A bit disappointed with the second half performance after the way we totally battered Hull in the first. The movement, the passing, the intensity, tempo were all extremely brilliant! That being said, it's perhaps understandable why we eased off in the second half given the players just played international friendlies few days ago and with Villa coming up on Wednesday, it was probably wise to conserve the energy for then.

It's just that not being clinical enough and getting that 3rd goal to totally kill Hull off played in the mind and nerves after what happened last season against the lesser sides. We had like around 23-24 shots all game but only 6-7 were on the target. A reflection of the problem from last season. Hope it improves as the season progresses.

All in all, can't ask for more in the first game I guess. A win. 2-0. A clean sheet. And seeing the players performing brilliantly to cap it off as well. A joy to watch.

What I was going to say.

If we can win against Hull and Villa within the first 30mins and relax for the rest of the game considering we didn't have big guns like Mata & Luiz, not to mention the niggles with Moses and Mikel, then I'm very happy. It means we can go all out against United.

grea 3 points and a scintillating 1st half performance.

2nd half should have been better. We lost control of the game, which we shouldnt have.

I understand the importance of closing down the game, but we gave them too much possession and control in the game for comfort.

Hope this can be worked on....

We could have closed the game down in a better fashion IMHO.

Never the less, glad the season is back on. And Mourinho of course.

I don't think it's about being relentlessness but rather how to conserve a lead and reduce the chances of conceding with the least effort. Jose proved that to be a very effective tactic in the PL in his first stint here. Whether or not we'll see that often this time around, we'll just have to wait and see.

Here to back me up.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/match/index.html?event=28;team=381

There were 72 matches in the last two seasons (didn't use his first there because he was still figuring out the best formation, tactics, etc).

Those are the stats (Excel calculation). Out of those 71 matches, they won 58. Out of those 58 this is how they scored in the second half:

3+ goals: 18 matches - 31%

2 goals: 19 matches - 33%

1 goal: 12 matches - 21 %

0 goals: 9 matches. - 15%

(they lost 4 and drew 9 - and the SOBs don't recognize how much he did for the club, I want to slap some bitches for being ungrateful, that's TWO seasons)

It means they scored 2+ goals in the 2H 64% of the matches they played. That's more than half! And that's considering scoring more than 2 goals. If you add the matches they scored another goal then it's 85%.

Also, they were leading the scoreline in HT in 28 of those matches, meaning 48% of those times they scored in the second half they were already winning and chose not to conserve a lead and reduce chances of conceding. There might be small flaws in the calculation because I didn't write the IF functions on Excel because I'm lazy (was watching tennis and now I'm hungry). But point is, Mourinho isn't the guy who sits in the advantage anymore. Hasn't been for a long time.

This is a new Mourinho that some may not know.

I have no reason to believe he won't be the same here. This team has almost as much of an attacking vocation as Madrid has.

edit: tomorrow when I'm not so tired, I'll cross the results and give a more precise result. 52% of those matches RM was either losing or drawing when they finished the 2nd half. 48% they were winning, out of those 48% there might be some of the 9 matches they didn't score. But I guess those numbers here alone give you an idea of my point.

Great win. So glad to see Jose back. I personally think we gave Hull too much space 2nd half especially. Lampard and Ramires dont provide enough cover for the CB. Stick in Essien or MvG there instead of Lampard when we face tougher opposition.