• Lampard
    • Oscar
    • Hazard
    • De Bruyne
    • Torres
    • Schurrle(sub)
    • Lukaku(sub)
    • Marco van Ginkel(sub)

Yeah, it's a shame that both Mata and Oscar like the number 10 spot and are at their best there. What do you think Mou will do with Mata? Play him as a right winger or a number 10?

RW, he already said as much...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit Jose's entrance was emotional! The stadium sounded fantastic.

Oscar motm for me, Rami close behind. Those two bossed the game.

I think the second half was such a bore because the team absolutely lit up the first half. Watching anything after the first 20min to half an hour would be like watching paint dry.

Torres hasn't changed.

One thing I like about Oscar in the #10 is the increase in fluidity in the centre of the pitch for us. Both Lampard and Ramires like to go forward and both are pretty efficient when doing so. (Van Ginkel also likes to get forward). With Mata in the #10, this leaves a big defensive gap, but Oscar is good at providing defensive cover and the player movement (attack from all angles) really should help open teams up. Of course, it's one game against a terrible opposition, but I can see that working against better sides.

Chelsea tv is great for the pre match and then the extra time, it was brilliant. It was amazing to see Jose back in the dugout. He looked very emotional. I thought it was prety good game, but I think it showed it we do need another striker. I still don't think Rooney is the answer. I think maybe if we could get Robert. It was a harder game than i had imagined, ok McGregor played a big part in it. Having met Alan a few times, I could see his pride and he was just star struck when he was standing in the tunnel opposite the Chelsea players. I think he made some good saves and knowing his ability, i knew he would catch the penalty. I hope he plays that well against City and Utd etc.

I think once we have Mata, and Luiz back we will be stronger. I really think and hope this is going to be a good season.

One thing I like about Oscar in the #10 is the increase in fluidity in the centre of the pitch for us. Both Lampard and Ramires like to go forward and both are pretty efficient when doing so. (Van Ginkel also likes to get forward). With Mata in the #10, this leaves a big defensive gap, but Oscar is good at providing defensive cover and the player movement (attack from all angles) really should help open teams up. Of course, it's one game against a terrible opposition, but I can see that working against better sides.

This is something I've been saying all summer. I love Mata but he does tend to struggle linking up with the deeper midfielders sometimes and that means he drifts out of games. What I've always liked about Oscar in the 10 position for us and in particular Brazil is that he works his bollocks off and links the play together throughout the spine of the team. He'll become an outlet ball for defenders, drop it off to a midfielder, get it back and then play it to an attacker rather than waiting for the ball in the final third.

What we have is options this season and that's what Mourinho thrives with.

He did say that, but he never played Mata at RW for even a second during preseason. In fact, I don't even think Oscar and Mata even played together. Both took turns playing the #10 position.

Mata barely played... at all, not only in the middle or whatever, but at all. I think he didn't have time to test Mata there. He said in his interview to Chelsea TV that right now he's prioritizing stability over abrupt changes which implies Mata will probably play where he's used to, but I have no doubts his goal is to move Mata to the RW, especially after Oscar showed what he can do in the #10 position and what he can't in the wing.

If Mata shows he can play in the RW (one would think he can as he played there in Valencia for years), Mourinho will probably choose Oscar to play where he plays well and Mata where he plays well, even if Mata plays better than Oscar in the #10. It's better to have 2 players producing in high level rather than one producing high level and the other struggling. I think Mata may be able to produce close to his usual in the RW.

The only problem is that he can't defend for life - but that's another discussion because I think if he can't learn how to defend he will have problems with starting in a Mourinho team in general regardless of the position. But he's a hard worker and he's very committed (and seems quite obedient if you ask me) so I think he'll try to improve in that area. Oscar didn't have his best match defending, but he tackled many balls, literally throwing himself at them and that pleases Mourinho enormously so I think he's one of the men Mourinho will have in his first team. And why use the boy in a position he struggles if he can be used in a position he excels?

We'd be on a whole new level if we had a better striker. Torres wasn't awful yesterday but he doesn't contribute to our attacks very much at all IMO.

Did anybody get the broadcast with Les Ferdinand, Alan Curbishley and Andy Townsend as pundits? They specifically focused on his movement and showed how he's consistently staying out of hte 18 yard box, and instead stays stagnant near the edge of the penalty box, even though we have the likes of Oscar, Hazard, De Bruyne, Lampard etc who operate in that area. If we had someone who's regularly charging forward towards the goal, those players would have more options for passes and also more space for themselves. And this isn't new, he's been like this from the beginning.

It's laughable to look at his movement and then compare it to Oscar, Mata, etc who are constantly finding new positions to exploit space and provide options for team-mates. They come towards the ball to get involved, after receiving it they pass it to a team-mate and then are immediately on the move again.

^ Agree FZ things did seem to pick up when Fernandoh went off.

Good day yesterday-brilliant pre match reception for Jose -very emotional. :blue scalf: 3 points, and we slipped down the gears second half which I hope was intentional !

Down side -shit expensive beer as usual, stewards being cunts and I noticed the ''Drogba Legend'' banner wasnt there :cry::ph34r: