• Lukaku
    • Torres(sub)
    • Moses(sub)
    • De Bruyne(sub)
    • Essien(sub)
    • Azpilicueta(sub)
    • Schurrle(sub)

I know we could have played better and showed more than we did,

But we just beat Inter and AC Milan, and it is OK losing to Real Madrid considering we had our chances and penalty claims dismissed.

We are not at the level of Real Madrid and have a team that is getting to know eachother and team gameplay, while RM already have an established team and style of play.

It will take some time for us to take that next step to compete withthe Madrid Barca Munichs of this world in an attractive manner, and no doubt it will happen, but such changes in club philosophy playing styles take time to become club culture.

There is no need for knee jerk reactions. Yes some of our players dont seem to be at the level we would want, but that too will be sorted in due time.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no panic from me after this game,our team is young and needed to be bedding in to this new Jose looking side it might take a year or two for that to happen but I'm ready and happy with that,look at Madrid team and how long they been together 2-3 year,all good things take long and careful building,everyone on here wanted young hungry talent now we have it it's time to be more patient..

Ok.

Too bad that Benitez was not liked.

With some improvements (a striker, one or two midfielders and some loanees back), we would have already a good build-up of the team.

The last 3-4 months of the season, we played quite good, had some good patterns while playing with a very small squad and playing every two-three days.

I liked also the physical work he had done to have more dynamic players on the pitch.

He had done a very good job with Luiz and Hazard.

Ramires and Azpilicueta doing good to protect the right side.

I just saw the game for the second time and I am breaking the Omerta on here.

It is not the youngsters that cost us dearly. The lack of decent transition, the nervousness (resulting in fouls leading to goals) and the lack of footbal from defense going forward did. MVG did very well, Hazard started slow but he had danger in him by the end of the first half and the second half, KDB was reported to suck on this thread but every cross (and corner) was dagerous - just look at Iva's header Casillas only saved by a reflex.

I saw too much respect for Real in the beginning and they took us a bit cold with that shot through Iva's legs .... just bad luck. We had a counter by Hazard and in a bounce with Lukaku the ball got through. We scored and started to play ball. Then an unnecessary intervention gave them the free kick and R7 fired it in ....

We came on the second half and our shape looked much better. We played ball - look at the 60-75 minute and see how Hazard is asking for and playing the ball - even having a one on one chance with Casillas. We seemed to get back into the game because we had options on the wings!

On the 68 minute Ashley in a one to one situation with the goalie.

I think there is WAY to much emotion when analyzing this game and a bias because we were talking cold the first 25 minutes.

I will make a prediction - you can quote me on that when I am wrong - our team doesn't need 'years'. It needs a few week (some of the guys joined the team days ago and played what? 2 halves?).

We need to work on something we have been struggling with for a while: the transition. Also, Luiz was sorely missed. He is our footballing option in defense. Instead of selling him I would rather have another ball playing defender to drive that midfield and the AM's.

Keep trucking boys.

Edited by Stingray

Well my opinion on this match is:

even the best striker in the world wouldn't have won us that game, the long balls going forward is a shit way to play, not effective and yeah, wich striker on this planet would you think could've handled himself against 4 of madrid's defense? don't see rooney for example make his way through that. the squad had other problems that first half other than not having a world class striker. I see all the fuzz about a better striker would solve all the problems, well we can have the best in the world out there and we still wouldn't have won that first half.

second half we started well, started playing our own game, nice few passes, less respect for the opposition and we had our second one coming until we got that asshole head in a good one in our own goal.

after that third goal it was over for me, feed fell off.

Can't say if that good start was because of the input of de bruyne and moses or the half time pep talk, certainly was not for torres to take credit for that.

it's a friendly, and if you look at what friendlies are for, this game was perfect imo.

it's strange to see how the result of a friendly turns out to be something that looks like a crisis here in these forums.

When the season starts and we crush hull city, we'll see it's just some fine tuning and the quality in the squad is well enough to start winning against a top opposition.

Ok.

Too bad that Benitez was not liked.

With some improvements (a striker, one or two midfielders and some loanees back), we would have already a good build-up of the team.

The last 3-4 months of the season, we played quite good, had some good patterns while playing with a very small squad and playing every two-three days.

I liked also the physical work he had done to have more dynamic players on the pitch.

He had done a very good job with Luiz and Hazard.

Ramires and Azpilicueta doing good to protect the right side.

I'm just hoping the expectations from people ain't to high for next season lets give these young lads a chance to find there feet and build a squad that can dominate for years to come,and that goes for the board aswell,our league positions don't lie in the last few years so if we came a close 2nd thus season and win a cup I will be happy with that and with Jose at the helm shaping thus squad it can only get better in years to come.

So basically, reading some of the comments, you went from the best team in the world to the worst in a matter of hours.

Drama drama drama.

You shouldn't panic over a friendly. Sure, Madrid started their best squad and won. It wasn't a friendly for them, they only wanted to beat Mourinho.

Tell me, when is the last time they won a cup in Europe? 2002 if I'm right. They went through all these top players and millions of pounds for 4 titles and one national cup in 12 years. You know why? Because once the Zidane generation left, they've had no heart. It's an ego team. There's no synergy. The difference between Ronaldo and Messi is that Messi makes everyone better and Ronaldo makes Ronaldo better.

You on the other hand, won two European cups in two years.

But hey, throw those away, cause they beat you in a friendly...

It's really ridiculous isn't it. You have more sense than a lot of people on here.

Just watched highlights. No Luiz and no Mata. Madrid fired up because they're facing a former coach a lot of the players despise, We have a lot of promise -and Hazards one on one if converted could quite easily have changed the outcome.

Think Carlo will do well at the govt subsidised giants, but as with us his tactical nous will be questioned in some of the big games

Only significant difference between the two team was a player who is arguably the best on the planet.

Still, we have a lot of room for improvement and adjustments to make. Honestly, I would fancy our chances against them in the Champions League next season.

Edited by Styles

I actually haven't got pissed of even once during the game...Ronaldo 90 minutes and the squad they've put...it was evident 90% of their players were dying to beat Mourinho while we weren't on our strongest line up.

That aside, they were better then us and in the end deserved to win. Ronaldo was just brilliant.

Good to see Lampard back even though it was clear his fitness level is yet to be built. Van Ginkel was really great again and if it wasn't for that gay haircut I would really like him :D

Lukaku had a very difficult job so I won't criticize him, he played alone for pretty much, all 45 minutes.

And as to our defending and what went wrong...well back 4 we put is one of the best in Europe while Mourinho is one of the best coaches for defenders. And they've scored 3 past us. We can find someone individually to blame, but I would rather put blame on Real Madrid's amazing attacking play. They were really good and gave our defense really really a lot of work.

Real has played with those players in that formation for over 2 years. Ronaldo is "probably" the best player in the world. I tell you now, give us 2 seasons under Jose, let Hazard get a few more seasons under his belt and then match us with Real - we'll kick their ass and look cool while doing it :ph34r:

Anyway, it's done, we move on now. Good run out, and a good reminder that we are still a work in progress. No injuries which is great, so of to Roma! :D

Lamps was completely out of a shape and it was a capital mistake to start him when he hasn't played for months. He should have been a sub for 20-30 minutes, but I understand Mourinho's reasons.

If you understand the reasons (that it was pre-season, a time when players need to gain fitness) then how can you say it was a mistake?

Some of the hysteria in this thread is funny, but then so was some of the hype in the other threads. Personally I think this pre-season has probably been as good as it could be for the new season. In the earlier games we saw new ideas being tried, new players being given time and a lot of good things but there's only so much you can learn from your victories. You need to be knocked down a couple of times to learn how to stop it happening in future and that's what we've had.

Madrid put out their strongest side, a side that has been together for a while now (apart from Isco) and they looked better than us. There's no shame in that. This has probably come at the best time as there's still one more game to make a few alterations for before we go into the Hull game.

We made Madrid look like Barcelona in the first half, not good.... second half was much better just a pity that cunt Ronaldo scored. Where was the defense last night btw? Cahill was shocking and the marking for Ronaldo's goal? van Ginkel or Ramires who was following him? Lukaku struggled evidently but I suppose against top international defenders like Pepe and Ramos it was likely.

Madrid 1 Mouirnho 0 he will even the score eventually...

Edited by RyanDavidson

Well just skip the panicking, we just lost our first friendly vs Real Madrid while United have been struggling the whole pre season just recently played 1-1 vs a half-decent Swedish side (AIK)...

If you understand the reasons (that it was pre-season, a time when players need to gain fitness) then how can you say it was a mistake?

Some of the hysteria in this thread is funny, but then so was some of the hype in the other threads. Personally I think this pre-season has probably been as good as it could be for the new season. In the earlier games we saw new ideas being tried, new players being given time and a lot of good things but there's only so much you can learn from your victories. You need to be knocked down a couple of times to learn how to stop it happening in future and that's what we've had.

Madrid put out their strongest side, a side that has been together for a while now (apart from Isco) and they looked better than us. There's no shame in that. This has probably come at the best time as there's still one more game to make a few alterations for before we go into the Hull game.

I understand where he's coming from, but I disagree. I understand why someone supports death row for example, I personally don't... sort of common sense to understand the reasons, but not necessarily approve of it... or so I thought.

We made Madrid look like Barcelona in the first half, not good.

This Madrid team beat Barcelona 3 times last season didn't they? They're further along in their development so losing to them in a pre-season game is no shame.

As someone above said if we had United's pre-season then I'd be genuinely worried but this was just a reminder that whilst we have a lot of good things going on we're still not there yet - anyone who thought we would be before the Hull game was just setting themselves up for disappointment.