• Hazard
    • Lukaku
    • Torres(sub)
    • Moses(sub)
    • De Bruyne(sub)
    • Essien(sub)
    • Azpilicueta(sub)
    • Schurrle(sub)

Am I concerned about the result or performance against one of the top four sides in the world, in a pre-season friendly?

Not one bit.

"Blessing in disguise" potentially. It shows we cannot compete with Real Madrid, or teams of that ilk. We still need to spend, and hopefully this speeds up Rooney's arrival, and makes José think twice - maybe we do need someone like de Rossi or Khedira to add some steel to the midfield.

José will have learnt more about his players today than he will have in wins over two piss-poor Italian sides right at the start of their pre-season, and a couple of woeful "all-star" teams.

This was a great experience for a young team, but defeat will also serve as an important reminder that we are not infallible, and whilst we still have momentum heading into the new season, results mean nothing in pre-season. All that matters right now is being in a good enough position to beat Hull and Aston Villa, and put in a performance against Bayern in our first three matches.

Anyone seriously concerned after this pre-season friendly against one of the top four sides in the world, please gladly line up so I can take you out with a single stroke of Mjolnir.

tumblr_mnvearY9ru1sqknbno1_500.gif

This.

If there is anything that is clear while I am watching the game now, it is that we have shown WAAYYYYY to much respect for the opponent and our opponent seemed very eager to grab us by the throath like it was a CL final. We got bluffed of the ball at times and that costed us. A typical thing young players do when playing a reputable opponent (The belgian must remember - we had the same problem in the NT with all the young ones). This also translated into not daring to take initiative and hiding a bit. Add a pivot option - and work on the mindset. Step by step.

Carefree!

Edited by Stingray

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivanovic Cahill Terry in the defensive line-up has never worked.

Last year, the worst performances were with them.

Ivanovic is not a right back, he can't press higher the opponent like Azpilicueta, Cahill Terry is the worst cb partnership as they drop too deep. Luiz Cahill or Luiz Ivanovic are better as they can play a higher line closer to the midfield.

oh and I now see the post that said we ARE shit, the players we brought AREN'T good enough and judging the board.

I guess people were disagreeing mainly with that - although I'm sure with a thing here and there from others too.

I don't think that's the case at all. We need time and until Mourinho does all the work he has to do we have to be patient and understanding. This is a transition season like 2010/11 was to Madrid

Not big drama, but some points to think of. Since two italian clubs, I was wondering how we will change the game if we go down, because every time we play classic JM counterattack style. But you need somethink different if you losing. And against RM we unfortunately unable to change anything, we try but we failed. This is what the team have to work at, because against good side you can't always rely on counterattack and, as it seems, its ever harder to take posession back.

Still a lot positive things from the game - no injuries, no points lost, good expirience, better fitness, not much to wait for the real start, Frank have some minutes.

So many making a fool of themselves rofl, yesterday drooling over some of our players, couple hours later: we'll never beat top teams with this team, we're so fucked. Get a grip lol.

You need to get a grip yourself.

Posts like these really, really irk me.

Perhaps, it´s time for Jose to go shopping now ?

Something has to be done quickly or face the consequence later.

as I said in one of my first posts here, I don't think we need more than a good striker and a CB backup. It's not about signing new players, but giving time to Mourinho to work with those ones. We may even overcome the lack of those two additional players if they don't come as long as give the team and Mou time ro work.

We could bring whoever we wanted, in defence, DM, AM, and strikers, it doesn't mean the team would automatically change and start doing well what they've been collectively doing bad. There are plenty of individual issues (such as the space Cahill concedes while marking, Cech, defenders, and DM's raffling the long balls that are inaccurate and desperate, the way our promising and talented AM are positioned on the pitch and making their roles clear, etc...). So it's a few technical issues on some players and a lot of tactical issues collectively. Hiring an entire new team wouldn't solve if there isn't time for them to work.

There's no panic from me after this game,our team is young and needed to be bedding in to this new Jose looking side it might take a year or two for that to happen but I'm ready and happy with that,look at Madrid team and how long they been together 2-3 year,all good things take long and careful building,everyone on here wanted young hungry talent now we have it it's time to be more patient..

So basically, reading some of the comments, you went from the best team in the world to the worst in a matter of hours.

Drama drama drama.

You shouldn't panic over a friendly. Sure, Madrid started their best squad and won. It wasn't a friendly for them, they only wanted to beat Mourinho.

Tell me, when is the last time they won a cup in Europe? 2002 if I'm right. They went through all these top players and millions of pounds for 4 titles and one national cup in 12 years. You know why? Because once the Zidane generation left, they've had no heart. It's an ego team. There's no synergy. The difference between Ronaldo and Messi is that Messi makes everyone better and Ronaldo makes Ronaldo better.

You on the other hand, won two European cups in two years.

But hey, throw those away, cause they beat you in a friendly...