Spike

31 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

@The Skipper When you look at the pics you posted and the way blackface was used in the past don't you feel like there's a massive difference between how it was used then and how Griezmann used it now ? 

In the past it was used in a racist, derogatory way. Often ridiculing black people. Griezmann isn't doing any of that. He's simply imitating a black globe trotter. There's no ridiculing. He's not using it in a derogatory way. 

I could understand it if he had a thick nose or puffed up lips cause those are clear racist stereotypes. 

Imo intentions matter. How a person uses blackface matters. I have no problem with it aslong as it's used solely to imitate a black person. The moment it becomes derogatory or gets used to ridicule black people then that person deserves to get a shitstorm at his adress.

I probably agree with this point of view. Intentions matter. But then again, nothing really offends me. I think society as a whole today always looks to divide from each other. 

People seem to complain a lot about "stealing of culture" these days, which I don't understand. Someone from a different ethnic group does something typical of another ethnic group, and instead of celebrating general human interest and coming together, people complain. 

I come from one of the most war torn countries in the history of earth, probably seeing its longest time of peace and prosperity if you could call it that. I still have idiots my age in their 20's when I meet them talking about Serbs this, Croat this, Bosnian this... I couldn't care less. Particularly because it didn't affect me, and I have to sit here and pretend to care that your ancestors hated their ancestors and you somehow hate them because of what? 

There was even outrage when Nick Cannon did whiteface. I'm honestly wondering who? Who out there cares for that one. 

5 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

So, when someone offends you, do you always respond to them in a calm rational manner?

With some things it's clear at the first sight that offender's intentions were the wrong ones. And that offender meant it. If I am unsure of his intentions, like every normal person would be in Griezmann's case, I do react in calm rational manner, yes, every time.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

What is an SJW?

It's a short form for social justice warrior, and in this case, people who basically are ignoring someone's intention and getting enraged for something he didn't imply.

10 minutes ago, El P. said:

With some things it's clear at the first sight that offender's intentions were the wrong ones. And that offender meant it. If I am unsure of his intentions, like every normal person would be in Griezmann's case, I do react in calm rational manner, yes, every time.

As would I. But not everyone is like me and you. The problem with this issue is that it unravels a lot of other issues as well, it isn’t as black and white as you make it out to be. You can have good intentions, doesn’t mean what you did isn’t wrong. People have different ways of expressing such. It’s wrong to dismiss the whole thing completely because some people who were offended by it reacted irrationally to it. 

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

As would I. But not everyone is like me and you. The problem with this issue is that it unravels a lot of other issues as well, it isn’t as black and white as you make it out to be. 

Well, I agree actually - both sides could be at fault. Offender and offended. And not being like me and you is their problem. Ergo - not thinking rationally is one's problem, too. But we are talking about this particular case in which I think Griezmann is not at fault, and offended people are. :)

2 minutes ago, El P. said:

Well, I agree actually - both sides could be at fault. Offender and offended. And not being like me and you is their problem. Ergo - not thinking rationally is one's problem, too. But we are talking about this particular case in which I think Griezmann is not at fault, and offended people are. :)

Griezmann is a well renowned footballer, has a huge platform, he has to be careful with everything he posts on social media, it’ll get scrutinised. 

In my opinion Griezmann was at fault for being very stupid and insensitive, he is not racist per se... But, we need to condemn blackface because you don’t need to blacken yourself up to imitate a black person (vice versa) and because of the history behind it.

I can’t blame you for not understanding what sort of experiences or memories it would bring up for any individual who was offended by what Griezmann did because you won’t have experienced why they’re offended by it yourself. I was offended, hence why I’m pointing out the history behind what Griezmann did. I don’t believe I’m wrong in this case. What is wrong is not trying to educate the offender. Not everyone can rationally do that, but that doesn’t mean what they’re angry about automatically becomes void and false. That’s the narrative I’m seeing here which I truly believe is wrong. 

3 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

This is how it works:

You can say the feelings of a group are not worthy of acceptance when you are able to frame it against another group which looks like them. Thus you have discredited them using "Their own". Its divide and conquer.

Just to add to this - native Ghanaians and Nigerians wouldn’t really automatically know what blackface (a false equivalence again from Leif) and its history is because they obviously wouldn’t have white people painting themselves black in Ghana or Nigeria. As in, they wouldn’t really have experienced it, unless they left their countries. Poor example to bring forward. 

Shut up Skipper. Both Ghanians & Nigerians are the epitome of African, and as such, it's important to highlight that they themselves are showing more maturity than most of the African-Americans in this Griezmann scenario. Both sides have suffered oppression, both sides are a lot poorer than they should be because of white men of the past, but only 1 side consistently throws gasoline on small flickers like this, wailing 'disrespect! blasphemy! racism!'. It's a valid comparison. 
My post regards how people in 2 different places (America & the few African countries with a sizeable social media presence) deal with race relations in scenarios like this (1 side creating fire, the other side pacifist).  Your posts are about blackface.

I'm not saying anything more to someone who called us Chelsea fans racist for wanting Emenalo out.

52 minutes ago, manpe said:

He did? Can you link to that pls?

No way, I can't search forums for the life of me, :cry:but other members should confirm. I can't remember if the word 'racist' was said, I'm pretty sure it was; at the very least, it was stated that we clearly wanted him out because he's African. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Leif said:

No way, I can't search forums for the life of me, :cry:but other members should confirm. I can't remember if the word 'racist' was said, I'm pretty sure it was; at the very least, it was stated that we clearly wanted him out because he's African. :lol:

Got it 

Oh my...

5 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I partly agree with what you’re saying hence why I said Griezmann isn’t a racist, he’s ignorant. I have bigger problem with how people are reacting to the perception or history behind blackface as if it wasn’t used in a very derogatory way in the past and secondly, I don’t like my skin colour being used as an accessory in fancy dress. Being black isn’t something you can turn on and off. He doesn’t need to paint himself black to be depicted as a globetrotter. 

If any white person felt uncomfortable by the film 'White Chicks' then that is exactly what Skippers means by 'my skin isn't an accessory'. Terrible film but it makes an important point 'we aren't saying white-face is okay but if you're offended by it now you understand how it feels'. Not that I care either way about this incident, I just like knowing what people think.

Some people are to quick at firing out the racist card out 2bh I found it funny two African American guys dress up has two white girls in White Chicks movie  but when a white guy dress up has a black guy hes knowing has a racist fs griezmann best friend is pogba some people need to stop living in the stone age and grow up 

6 minutes ago, the wes said:

Some people are to quick at firing out the racist card out 2bh I found it funny two African American guys dress up has two white girls in White Chicks movie  but when a white guy dress up has a black guy hes knowing has a racist fs griezmann best friend is pogba some people need to stop living in the stone age and grow up 

What happened to those two black comedians that did that?

People are quick to mention that movie, but at the same time ignore the backlash they faced. When was the last time Shawn or Marlon Wayans have got any type of press in the United Kingdom Wes?

18 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

What happened to those two black comedians that did that?

People are quick to mention that movie, but at the same time ignore the backlash they faced. When was the last time Shawn or Marlon Wayans have got any type of press in the United Kingdom Wes?

I've seen that movie. Never had I heard that anybody considered it offensive until now, nor did it enter my mind for one second to get offended by a simple comedy. This is the first time I hear this, and it shocks me to find out how overly sensitive people are at some places.

6 hours ago, Leif said:

Shut up Skipper. Both Ghanians & Nigerians are the epitome of African, and as such, it's important to highlight that they themselves are showing more maturity than most of the African-Americans in this Griezmann scenario. Both sides have suffered oppression, both sides are a lot poorer than they should be because of white men of the past, but only 1 side consistently throws gasoline on small flickers like this, wailing 'disrespect! blasphemy! racism!'. It's a valid comparison. 
My post regards how people in 2 different places (America & the few African countries with a sizeable social media presence) deal with race relations in scenarios like this (1 side creating fire, the other side pacifist).  Your posts are about blackface.

I'm not saying anything more to someone who called us Chelsea fans racist for wanting Emenalo out.

Shut up? I’m literally a Ghanaian (learn how to spell it) descent. I think I’m far more qualified to tell you about how a Ghanaian would feel about it. I’m telling you that some don’t know the history behind it because blackface never happened in their countries. African Americans weren’t the only ones offended by it...

I didn’t call every Chelsea fan racist either. Some of the abuse I’ve heard/seen (not all on here at all) of Emenalo made me come to that conclusion. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You