Spike

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

:lol: whatever you say. I don't consider a white woman having her face painted brown to impersonate Stevie Wonder a reference to the lynching of African Americans.

I edited my post, I would like to hear your response to it fully. Why do you need to paint your skin to impersonate Stevie Wonder...

Again the, “I’m not offended by it so let me bury my head in sand and not try to understand why other people might find it offensive” attitude rears it head. 

Do you seriously think blackface is just an African American issue?

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

I edited my post, I would like to hear your response to it fully. 

Response to what?

Just now, The Skipper said:

Why do you need to paint your skin to impersonate Stevje Wonder.......

Because Stevie was black and the impersonator was not tanned enough.

16 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Why do people always trivialise something they literally have no true experience or as is clear in here, knowledge about? 

How about you try to learn why it’s offensive to the people that are offended by it, instead of just laughing it off?

8 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Again the, “I’m not offended by it so let me bury my head in sand and not try to understand why other people might find it offensive” attitude rears it head. 

Do you seriously think blackface is just an African American issue?

Here^. Read my post to Spike if you want to see why I think it’s wrong personally.

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

Response to what?

Because Stevie was black and the impersonator was not tanned enough.

There’s no point in discussing actually, it seems like you’re not interested in knowing how it can be offensive to other people, or the history or meaning behind it. Remain ignorant :)

There’s no point in discussing actually, it seems like you’re not interested in knowing how it can be offensive to other people, or the history or meaning behind it. Remain ignorant [emoji4]. 
Cheers, thanks, I will. You in the meantime can remain being offended by everything. [emoji846]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, manpe said:

Cheers, thanks, I will. You in the meantime can remain being offended by everything. emoji846.png

I will always fight for my people, and equality worldwide. I’m not that offended, I don’t think Griezmann is a racist, just highly ignorant because it doesn’t affect himself or his culture, just like yourself. It isn’t for you to decide how valid someone’s experience is. 

@The Skipper When you look at the pics you posted and the way blackface was used in the past don't you feel like there's a massive difference between how it was used then and how Griezmann used it now ? 

In the past it was used in a racist, derogatory way. Often ridiculing black people. Griezmann isn't doing any of that. He's simply imitating a black globe trotter. There's no ridiculing. He's not using it in a derogatory way. 

I could understand it if he had a thick nose or puffed up lips cause those are clear racist stereotypes. 

Imo intentions matter. How a person uses blackface matters. I have no problem with it aslong as it's used solely to imitate a black person. The moment it becomes derogatory or gets used to ridicule black people then that person deserves to get a shitstorm at his adress.

I will always fight for my people, and equality worldwide. I’m not that offended, I don’t think Griezmann is a racist, just highly ignorant because it doesn’t affect himself or his culture, just like yourself. It isn’t for you to decide how valid someone’s experience is. 
Yeah and a performer painting him/herself brown to impersonate someone in looks and manners as accurately as possible just rips open those painful experiences. I bet if they refused to paint themselves black those same people would cry over the fact they racistly refuse to wear the black colour, I can guarantee this is how they would spin it. As long as there is a reason to be offended and get attention by preaching some phony social justice bullshit while forgetting what real racism, what the real issues in the world are.

11 minutes ago, manpe said:

Yeah and a performer painting him/herself brown to impersonate someone in looks and manners as accurately as possible just rips open those painful experiences. I bet if they refused to paint themselves black those same people would cry over the fact they racistly refuse to wear the black colour, I can guarantee this is how they would spin it. As long as there is a reason to be offended and get attention by preaching some phony social justice bullshit while forgetting what real racism, what the real issues in the world are.

How many African descended people are in Estonia?

I can tell you that bold wouldnt happen at all. No black people would complain about the fact a white person wouldnt darken their skin. Its offensive to ethnic minorities.

9 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

How many African descended people are in Estonia?

Probably can count on two hands. And this is what grinds my gears, the people crying in the media over here have nothing to do with this, but somehow they feel entitled to be offended. Somehow in previous seasons of this show it was okay, but suddenly this year it became an issue to them as it became talked about more worldwide. Attention whores. I for one wouldn't find a snow white person impersonating Coolio very convincing.

Just now, manpe said:

Probably can count on one hand. And this is what grinds my gears, the people crying in the media over here have nothing to do with this, but somehow they feel entitled to be offended. Somehow in previous seasons of this show it was okay, but suddenly this year it became an issue to them as it became talked about more worldwide. Attention whores. I for one wouldn't find a snow white person impersonating Coolio very convincing.

And thats where the statement you made about them finding offense if he didnt darken his skin disingenuous.

You come into contact with, as you admit, very few people of African descent but can categorically make a claim that they would be unhappy if he didnt darken his skin...which is something people who have lived with black people know isnt true. They don't like their skin being used a costume based on history. It is used to classify them as "Other" and it brings up painful experiences they experience based on being "other" the costume is offensive. They would never ever ever complain about somebody not darkening their skin. Its a misunderstanding of the culture behind why its offensive in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

@The Skipper When you look at the pics you posted and the way blackface was used in the past don't you feel like there's a massive difference between how it was used then and how Griezmann used it now ? 

In the past it was used in a racist, derogatory way. Often ridiculing black people. Griezmann isn't doing any of that. He's simply imitating a black globe trotter. There's no ridiculing. He's not using it in a derogatory way. 

I could understand it if he had a thick nose or puffed up lips cause those are clear racist stereotypes. 

Imo intentions matter. How a person uses blackface matters. I have no problem with it aslong as it's used solely to imitate a black person. The moment it becomes derogatory or gets used to ridicule black people then that person deserves to get a shitstorm at his adress.

I partly agree with what you’re saying hence why I said Griezmann isn’t a racist, he’s ignorant. I have bigger problem with how people are reacting to the perception or history behind blackface as if it wasn’t used in a very derogatory way in the past and secondly, I don’t like my skin colour being used as an accessory in fancy dress. Being black isn’t something you can turn on and off. He doesn’t need to paint himself black to be depicted as a globetrotter. 

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

This is almost akin to saying “my country has no Jewish history so why should anyone be offended by [insert something holocaust/nazi related]?”...

Why do people always trivialise something they literally have no true experience or as is clear in here, knowledge about? 

How about you try to learn why it’s offensive to the people that are offended by it, instead of just laughing it off?

How about that offended people try to learn if someone actually meant something offensive, before they call them racist or ignorant? It's not ignorant, one cannot know whole human history, one cannot know ALL the offensive things. In the end, it would mean you googling every your step, anytime you try to do something, checking if that's offensive or not.

People should have more understanding, In this example, per se, correct solution would be - offended people to tell Griezmann why it's offensive, but politely, without that much drama, because he hadn't have wrong intentions, and doesn't know all the offensive things. And then, if they provide him with decent arguments, he should consider not doing it next time. End of.

3 minutes ago, El P. said:

How about that offended people try to learn if someone actually meant something offensive, before they call them racist or ignorant? It's not ignorant, one cannot know whole human history, one cannot know ALL the offensive things. In the end, it would mean you googling every your step, anytime you try to do something, checking if that's offensive or not.

People should have more understanding, In this example, per se, correct solution would be - offended people to tell Griezmann why it's offensive, but politely, without that much drama, because he hadn't have wrong intentions, and doesn't know all the offensive things. And then, if they provide him with decent arguments, he should consider not doing it next time. End of.

Your approach to this is right, but not everyone’s approach is like that. Some people just laugh it off and don’t even want to listen or hear out on why a person might not be happy about it. I would be willing to talk to you about it because you seem at least open minded enough. In my experience, some people are the opposite - and that’s a problem.

That’s what I meant by ignorance. Maybe bigotry is a better word. 

1 minute ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

You come into contact with, as you admit, very few people of African descent but can categorically make a claim that they would be unhappy if he didnt darken his skin...which is something people who have lived with black people know isnt true.

Here you misunderstood me. I was talking about those white self-entitled SJWs over here, as my original post also indicated.

He wasn't being racist nor was he trying to hurt anyone's feelings,Sometimes people have to look at someone's intentions before becoming all enraged about such stuff, imitating a black globe trotter is nothing bad. His act was was not fully of malice or something, so it shouldn't be taken as a  sign of disrespect to any community.

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

Your approach to this is right, but not everyone’s approach is like that. Some people just laugh it off and don’t even want to listen or hear out on why a person might not be happy about it. That’s what I mean by ignorance. Maybe bigotry is a better word. 

Well, if offended side was telling him their reasons in a normal, decent way, without insulting, he should've listened. If they immediately called him ignorant/racist/whatever, then he have right to laugh at them. And sorry, but I think latter case happens more often.

2 minutes ago, El P. said:

Well, if offended side was telling him their reasons in a normal, decent way, without insulting, he should've listened. If they immediately called him ignorant/racist/whatever, then he have right to laugh at them. And sorry, but I think latter case happens more often.

So, when someone offends you, do you always respond to them in a calm rational manner?

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You