Atmosphere

It is normal in English football though, and despite what some people might think we are still an English club. It's just one of those things that makes us unique.

Talking about a new stadium, it could make a big difference to the noise. Our ground isn't the best one in the world for keeping noise in to be honest. It's not as bad as it was before the mid-90s in that regard but because it's not really a unified structure it's not as good as modern stadiums. You'd also be able to get more corporate seating in which can be used to subsidise the cost of normal seating, which could remain at it's current price or even come down a bit because of increased supply.

But I can pretty much guarantee that if you go on any big English club's forum, you'll see a thread like this. It's just the way English football is nowadays.

Did I understand the first phrase correctly? Having away fans screaming more than the entire SB makes us unique?

I know a "better planed" stadium could make all the difference (I have shared my views on it with Liquidator already), but what I really think is missing, is a little group of 5-10 people who light up the whole stadium. Someone must start the fire and that we havent got in a while...

I absolutely love English Football, but I would love to see better crowds. I dont think we must blindly defend what we like/love. I think it has become too much of a quiet crowd and that is not a positive thing. We must not throw away the UK culture and be like Turkish/Brazilian fans, but we dont need to have such a dull crowd (IMO). Germany and the Bundesliga might be where the answer stands, they were able to balance the business side of it with the atmosphere.

I rarely complain about our stadium, but sometimes it gets on my nerves!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I understand the first phrase correctly? Having away fans screaming more than the entire SB makes us unique?

No, it's one of the idiosyncrasies of English football although it's by no means something that happens every game.

I know a "better planed" stadium could make all the difference (I have shared my views on it with Liquidator already), but what I really think is missing, is a little group of 5-10 people who light up the whole stadium. Someone must start the fire and that we havent got in a while...

That's what we already have - people start chants. We don't telepathically decide to sing Ten Men Went To Mow.

If you're proposing some people actually leading the crowd in singing, I give it 3 minutes before they get called a cunt and 5 minutes before they're ducking for cover. We tried cheerleaders in the 90s in football grounds and it didn't work. This is just what English football is. On a good day it's the best atmosphere in the world but we can have periods of quiet contemplation.

From my experience, I went to two games (Fulham and nordsjaelland)

I was in the east stand for Fulham and majority of people around me were toursist, who I can only assume want to see a pl game while they are on holiday, so they choose the game thy want to see based on when they can go to it rather than based on what team they support, if u know what I mean. (I was a tourist yes, but I was there to support cfc not gain bragging rights)

Now I say that because they didn't know who half of the players were.

So I decided to move a couple of rows down and found some locals, we tried to get something going but all we got from everyone else was dirty looks like we were some degenerate football hooligans. (That didn't top us for a second).

Then the second game I was in the shed end..man it was amazing!! Loved the singing and that there!

So if we got the tourist involved, the atmosphere would double!

Also the fact that people arrive 15 min into the game annoyed me.

Do find it daft when people leave a game early espically when the result isnt clear or certain.Can understand if have kids cause getting out can be a bit crazy but other then that your getting a few minutes quicker to the trains and thats about it.Like at Arsenal when Spurs left when they were 4-2 down or whatever and then they came back 4-4..why miss that

To try to avoid a repeat of the disappointing 28'000 that were at the Bucharest game, I've done my part and bought a ticket for the Ruban game.

Make a difference and get to the game, £30 a pop - almost a bargain! It's almost worth that alone to watch Hazard in the form that he's in.

Fuck it. Gonna get a train from Scotland to SB (or thereabouts) for the Ruban game. About time I went to another game anyway. 1 voice won't make the whole stadium shake but hopefully it'll help. Time to take the Europa League seriously IMO considering it's pretty winnable now!

The curse of the all seated "stadia". Every ground has lost the majority of atmosphere since Taylor, except The Arse, who never had any atmosphere in the first place.

Make the Harding Lower, East Lower and Shed Lower terracing. I know the shed was miles from the pitch before, but when we had a full house, in a needle match, the atmosphere was blinding. The West Stand and benches, Gate 13 and Shed giving it large. Days are long gone now sadly. Progress........and a pity IMO.

Rumours doing the rounds on Twitter that Chelsea have banned a fan for 10 years for calling Rio Ferdinand a cunt. Ridiculous if true. If they were to be consistent most of the ground would have been banned by now as well

https://twitter.com/faegee