Everton 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Wow, cannot believe some of the comments here !!

Cech made 2 saves, turnbull 1, header against the bar, and free kick onto a post, from an everton team probably played there best game of the season, but then Chelsea had chances too, like mata first half, cole first half just missing the cross by inches, torress could have had a hatrick second half, mata could have scored, Oscar as well.

Considering Everton scored after 60 seconds they were bound to be super confident for first 20 minutes, but your team played there way back in then started controling it, you are also the first to beat them at goodison this season, and first win against everton in 8 games.

Not even going to get involved in the match details, but just make a small point in saying that if you had that kind of durability defensively, the tactical discipline, the pressing, the speed of counter attacks, then you would still be in the champions league ! these kind of tactics and win like that today takes 4-6 months on the training pitch not 5 weeks !!!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from behind to end Everton's unbeaten home record this season and win at one of the toughest grounds in England. Can't ask for more really. The players showed great character and resilience to stay in the game and take our chances when it came. Yes, we had a little bit of luck but given that some other teams have enjoyed loads of them already this season while we have to endure some misfortunes ourselves, we probably do deserve a bit of it.

The 3 points gained today is certainly valuable given we last won there in 2008 and the fact that Man United and Tottenham have lost at Goodison this season while Arsenal drew. Heck! Even Liverpool drew the game after going 2-0 up. Coupled with the win at Norwich, the ground where Man United and Arsenal lost too this season, gaining 6 points over this Christmas period have been great!

>>OK so Manure's upcoming fixtures are;

Wigan. Away. Wigan have lost 4 out of their last 6 games, so expecting United to win this one. However Wigan did beat them last time at home in April.
Liverpool. Home. Hard to call, a draw is possible.
Tottenham. Away. Now I'm expecting Spurs to win this one as they're playing well.
So possible/hopefully United can lose 5 points in next 3 games
>>And City's are;
Stoke. Home. Stoke haven't lost in their last 6 games, so a draw is possible,
Le Arsenal. Away. I think the home side can win this one, if not then a draw is possible,
Fulham. Home. City win,
So possible 5 point loss for City in next 3 games
Chelsea can catch up here if we win are next 3 games [hard but being optimistic]

Rafa prepared the team for an intense high-pressing Everton who would fight for every ball and second ball especially in the opening 15 minutes.

But despite the preparation we showed our fundamental weakness as a team - disarray and slight panic when under high speed attack. Our playmakers were too slow in their first touch and too slow and rushed in releasing the ball and they gave it away almost every time for the first 24 minutes.

Hazard does not convince when he is under pressure and has no space. His bad pass led to the first goal. Mata looked like he had not adjusted to the speed of English football for the first 25 minutes.

There was also too may wild clearances and aimless long balls and the team was spread out and not compact enough. They lost touch with each other and Torres was isolated for most of the first half. This is the exact opposite to the way Rafa likes his teams to play so I put it down to the player's weak mentality under pressure.

Rafa was able to get them focused and organised at half-time. But you could see the fatigue in Chelsea legs. Eventually, as expected, Everton lost energy and Chelsea became more comfortable but still not safe.

Moses instead of Hazard was an improvement and while I did not want Oscar to start because he has also been slow and wasteful lately I thought bringing him on towards the end was a great move. He was under instruction to hold the ball and run down the clock - you would think he rest of the team would have figured that out when they were in the lead, but they didn't. Oscar did it very well and posed a threat on the counter.

Lampard scores so many by just being in the six yard box - I'd like to see Torres do more of that. Another, deserved win for the team coming after a grueling four weeks - great credit to Rafa. Lampard, Luiz (who never stopped trying even when he made mistakes)

But worries about Chelsea central defence and how easily Cole gets rounded and caught out of position.

Fantastic post, shows u watched the match properly

Tbf to Torres in this case, that really was a excellent tackle from Distin.

Given what happened, yes, it was good tackle but from our perspective, the reason why Distin got the tackle in was because Torres ran too close to Distin. Torres did not run wider and create that space between himself and Distin. Had he done so, the ball would have been played perfectly to Torres's path, taking Distin out of the picture and he would have scored. Distin then wouldn't be able to put that tackle in!

If that was the chance to win the game 2-1 OR had Everton equalized, would you really be saying it's an excellent tackle from Distin? I don't think so. The old Torres would have ran wider or heck, any striker would have done that. It's a basic and common thing!

This win gives me hope for Stoke away in a few weeks. Stoke work as hard as Everton but have far less quality.

Still need to find a way to cope with their physical and aerial threat. Suffered that against West Ham and then Everton today.

Given what happened, yes, it was good tackle but from our perspective, the reason why Distin got the tackle in was because Torres ran too close to Distin. Torres did not run wider and create that space between himself and Distin. Had he done so, the ball would have been played perfectly to Torres's path, taking Distin out of the picture and he would have scored. Distin then wouldn't be able to put that tackle in!

If that was the chance to win the game 2-1 OR had Everton equalized, would you really be saying it's an excellent tackle from Distin? I don't think so. The old Torres would have ran wider or heck, any striker would have done that. It's a basic and common thing!

But that's because I pretty much never expect to control the ball perfectly with his first touch. You know this every time he steps on the pitch. He used to have his pace to camouflage his average touch. Players like Van Persie and Berbatov would've burried that.

And rememeber, I didn't say there was nothing Torres could do about it but it really was a excellent challenge. Not many defenders have the guts to go in like that inside the penalty area. If he was a second too late, it would have been a penalty.

What does slightly annoy me though is the fact that Torres is expected to score any clear cut chance/opportunity he gets. Impossible of course. That's why Torres and Chelsea will never work. And no I'm not implying Torres failing here is not his own fault.

Still need to find a way to cope with their physical and aerial threat. Suffered that against West Ham and then Everton today.

Agree, our problem today was the second ball. Once we started winning more those we got our way back into the game.

But that's because I pretty much never expect to control the ball perfectly with his first touch. You know this every time he steps on the pitch. He used to have his pace to camouflage his average touch. Players like Van Persie and Berbatov would've burried that.

Yes but had Torres run wider, the ball would have played in nicely which will likely result in him being 1-on-1 against Howard and he would probably score with his first touch on the ball.

Its the same story every game since Luiz started to play as a DM, people just keep focusing is his mistakes. In fact, only an idiot would blame Luiz for his first goal, and now this Choulo guy is even talking about how he could have been off, and thats even more stupid.

Ramires played in the right wing, and he wasnt that great, still he had a superb assist to Lampard. In fact the worst Chelsea player today, Torres aside, was Hazard. Ramires was way better than Hazard today, but you wont find people saying how shit he was in this game, you will only find people saying about how young he is and about the time he needs to become a great player. Luiz also needs time to develope as a proper DM, and untill he has been decent enough to be given this time.

Nevermind, this Choulo guy is the same person who believes an avarage striker can score 25 goals in a single PL season.

Please don't whine about people singling out Luiz for criticism when your forum mission seems to be mentioning Hazard in any negative sence possible. Last games you didn't say shit, you only mention him when he had a bad game.

Don't go acting all white knight here. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Passing

Luiz: 54 passes, 74% accuracy, 2 key passes, 9 long balls

Lampard: 49 passes, 61% accuracy, 2 key passes, 2 long balls

Various:

Luiz: 2 tackles, 4 interceptions, 6 clearances, 3 fouls, 2 aerial duals won, 1 shot.

Lampard: 2 tackles, 1 interception, 1 clearance, 0 fouls, 0 aerial duals won, 4 shots.

Having said that, Luiz did look a little bit too brash for my liking.

This is what I'm talking about.

Looking at these stats pple will think lampard and luiz had a horrible game. When lamps got 2 goals and luiz gave a glorious pass to torres.

But these stats don't show effort and determination during the match, which lampard and luiz have 100% more than mikel in that pivot.

Being too calm is not good for some premier league games.

Yes but had Torres run wider, the ball would have played in nicely which will likely result in him being 1-on-1 against Howard and he would probably score with his first touch on the ball.

Fair enough, I'll agree with that.

The past years really have shown how much he relied on his pace. Hasn't managed to reInvent his game at all.