Jase

Man of the Match  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

United will continue to drop points. Newcastle have been poor for a while yet they scored three goals. It didn't work when Keegan tried it, it won't work now.

Yes...BUT it depends on Vidic. He has missed most of the year due to injury (and was playing hurt early in the year.) He's one of the best defenders in the world when he's healthy so if they can get him back playing regularly, that would make a massive difference. (He wasn't playing today).

Good result vs a strong Norwich side but still no cameo for Paulo Ferreira.... so... BENITEZ OUT!

:Goober:

3 straight wins....14 goals in the last 3 games (5 vs Leeds, 8 vs Villa & 1 vs Norwich) and we've only conceded 1 (Becchio goal for Leeds)

Upcoming game vs Everton will also be a good one.

Yes...BUT it depends on Vidic. He has missed most of the year due to injury (and was playing hurt early in the year.) He's one of the best defenders in the world when he's healthy so if they can get him back playing regularly, that would make a massive difference. (He wasn't playing today).

United fans keep telling me that a 31 year old who has played about a dozen games in two years and is coming back from a serious knee ligament injury is going to solve their defensive problems, despite most of their defensive problems stemming from their midfield and not their defence.

I disagree.

United fans keep telling me that a 31 year old who has played about a dozen games in two years and is coming back from a serious knee ligament injury is going to solve their defensive problems, despite most of their defensive problems stemming from their midfield and not their defence.

I disagree.

Not saying it will solve them completely, but it will help a lot. Vidic was never a pace guy so injuries are less worrisome. Even more than that, look who he'd be replacing in the starting XI. Rio Ferdinand? Phil Jones? Even a hobbled Vidic would be a massive improvement. They play a very attacking style which means that they leave themselves vulnerable defensively and as you say, their central midfield is sub-par so they will keep conceding goals but perhaps not at quite the same rate. IMO, one of the best things we have going for us versus them is their continued involvement in the CL. Their playing Real Madrid three days after playing Everton which means that they are going to have to rest players in what will be a touch match. That's why I never understand why people cheer against our competitors in CL. I want them to be distracted and tired in the league and a good run in the CL does that as well as anything.

Tough place to go, so I am extremely happy with the result.

At this stage of the season, performances mean relatively little - yet I think we actually played better today than we did this time last week at Leeds. Carrow Road is a hard place to go (only Liverpool have won there in the Premier League this term) and Norwich of course are on the back of a very good run. We defended very compactly today and when we went forward we found ourselves needing to adapt. Norwich effectively played with four centre-backs today, and two wing-backs. It meant we had to play with variation and we created some decent opportunities against an organised and tight defence, which is something we certainly would not have done a couple of weeks ago. Mata's goal was superbly taken and 1-0 is a compliment to Norwich, who were most definitely second-best.

Torres was very quiet today, but he is never going to do well in that type of fixture. He was well man-marked throughout, but that gave Moses, Mata and Oscar the chance to dictate the midfield, which they did very well. Luiz was impressive again, and Ivanovic and Cahill showed why they should be our number one centre-back pairing.

All in all, very happy - and with us being only four points off second, and with a game in hand, I'm feeling a lot more confident about the second half of the season.

One thing to add is regarding Torres - we all know we've as good as signed another striker, but it needs to be a different type of forward to Fernando. In games like this where our number 9 is man-marked, we need someone who is big and will come and bully defenders, the same way Dzeko comes on to replace Aguero. Someone like Didier Drogba, I guess!

Tough place to go, so I am extremely happy with the result.

At this stage of the season, performances mean relatively little - yet I think we actually played better today than we did this time last week at Leeds. Carrow Road is a hard place to go (only Liverpool have won there in the Premier League this term) and Norwich of course are on the back of a very good run. We defended very compactly today and when we went forward we found ourselves needing to adapt. Norwich effectively played with four centre-backs today, and two wing-backs. It meant we had to play with variation and we created some decent opportunities against an organised and tight defence, which is something we certainly would not have done a couple of weeks ago. Mata's goal was superbly taken and 1-0 is a compliment to Norwich, who were most definitely second-best.

Torres was very quiet today, but he is never going to do well in that type of fixture. He was well man-marked throughout, but that gave Moses, Mata and Oscar the chance to dictate the midfield, which they did very well. Luiz was impressive again, and Ivanovic and Cahill showed why they should be our number one centre-back pairing.

All in all, very happy - and with us being only four points off second, and with a game in hand, I'm feeling a lot more confident about the second half of the season.

Are you fking kidding me? I hate how people can even be THAT happy against a 0-1 win against Norwich. We are better than that. I am extremely happy we got 3 points, but to be extremely happy against a boring 0-1 win against a team like that is just....pathetic imo :)

We are better, and I think higher of us. Good thing City lost (even though id win around £2000 if they would have won)...and darn united always find a way to win.

Norwich was a form team, had beaten Arsenal and Utd 1-0 so a victory here is a very good sign and important 3 points. Sunderland= useful. Newcastle=Useless. Just a point away from 2nd position(if we win our match), lets not think about the top of the table. 18 more games to go. Slow and steady wins the race.