The Benitez Thread

CHOULO19

274 members have voted

1. 1. Rafa Out?

Would love to see the excuses from people like you when the new manager hits a rough patch. So, so many E-managers here, you don't know what's behind his decisions not to sub someone in, it might be a minor injury, it might be bad form/attitude shown in training and so on. Think outside the box, behind a LCD screen we all think we could do better, reality is oh so much different.

It was a joke, I'm sorry if you didn't think it was funny. In my defense: I put a smiley there as a clue.

And I thought the post I reacted to was meant as a joke as well, because I gave my view on the "thin squad excuse" on the same page.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Benitez praise is going way too far.

It just goes to show how much impact the media has, Benitez has had two europa wins then finally managed to win some premier league games. Also interesting how some forgot about the Liverpool draw, thanks to Rafas great subs again. And then once the media start praising Rafa everyones actually convinced that he's doing a good job.

No! Untill he secures top 4 and wins the Europa then we can say he's done something, as for now nothing has changed. So he should of won those games, what about all the other games where he drew due to his stupid subs again, 2-0 up then drawing 2-2 that happened twice in 2 weeks.

way, way too far, couldn't agree more. Still, every club has it's fickle fans i suppose. We had next to fuck all, in the way of "fickleness", pre 93'. A few started to show during Hoddle, a good few more in the Ruud boy era, trickle more for Vialli, similar level for Ranieri, then a fucking flood of them since 2003. Can't for he life of me think why :rolleyes:

Blaming it all on one man who hasn't even been here for the whole season is just a way to look excuses

That is - IMHO - a contradiction. You are aware of our position in the EPL when Benitez took over, right? The season started quite well.

Blamed share from the staff, players and fans for booing the manager (and the team) for half season

Yes, the fans were booing the manager and 2 players (Torres and Benayoun) - never the team. Benitez is neither the first nor the last manager being booed. And quite frankly: what did he expect? He must have known this when he took the job.

We will be unstable, up and down team as long as we keep changing managers.

Well, we changed a manager last year and won the CL :-)

We can't really go in statistics

Why not? There is a strange tendency for those who support Benitez to avoid statistics.

Try this one: http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/5/9/4314856/chelseas-results-against-the-premier-leagues-best-only-serve-to

We don't know what would have happened if RMD stayed with us and I guess we were all upset. I can't give Benitez any credit and I don't understand those who can - but I respect your opinion and let's just say we disagree.

For me a manager whose managerial skills never go beyond "winger for a winger" or "defender for a defender" when he makes subs is as useful as a donkey.

To sub or not to sub? Rafa and the Big Bench Debate

By Dan Levene, May 10th, 2013

The conversation was heated – at least on one side. The journalist, somewhat stereotypically propping up the bar, wanted to know what Rafael Benitez was thinking of when he used (or rather failed to use) his substitutions on Wednesday night...

http://www.footballscores.com/superblog/to-sub-or-not-to-sub-rafa-and-the-big-bench-debate/

A good read.

To sub or not to sub? Rafa and the Big Bench Debate

By Dan Levene, May 10th, 2013

The conversation was heated – at least on one side. The journalist, somewhat stereotypically propping up the bar, wanted to know what Rafael Benitez was thinking of when he used (or rather failed to use) his substitutions on Wednesday night...

http://www.footballscores.com/superblog/to-sub-or-not-to-sub-rafa-and-the-big-bench-debate/

A good read.

Yes it was!!! Straight & to the point. Love the comparison of other CFC Gaffers & how FSW is far below them ;)

If you can not see Rafa contribution to Chelsea however small, big..that´s irrelevant here, then just look at the current team´s performances. The team is playing well enough to win EL & finish 3rd. Well then, EL is not CL, I might point out but 3rd is better than 6th of last year. Therefore, those that cannot see it, I do not wish to argue further.

chelsea is finishing a DISTANT 3rd. this is no acheivement. we were a close 2nd when RDM was sacked. plus let me tell u what position chelsea would be if we just counted the FSW's regime... 5th!!! shocking?? hell no. because for the most part of his regime we have been poor. infact the last month has been the only time when we have played good football and got decent results on a continous basis.

are u seriously blaming RDM for finishing 6th last year?? first of all he took over in MARCH with most of the league done. our priority last year was CL not the league and it was pretty evident if you only saw the team we put up against arsenal at the emirates. or against pool at anfield. we should be worshipping RDM to take us to CL glory not cribbing about finishing 6th in the league when in the end it dint even matter.

to give credit where its due. FSW has contributed to chelsea. he has made us far more organized than we were under RDM, shown us azpi's quality, luiz's play in the mid. but thats almost it. we are still totally reliant on mata/hazard/mata&hazard.

i dont think the team's current performance has anything to do with FSW. we were playing this brand of football even under RDM. the only difference is that we are looking more fluid which is obvious because the longer u make MAZACAR play together, the better they ll get at knowing each other's game and they ll get better at combining. if the teams' perfoprmance was FSW's doing with his tactical and managerial brilliance, then we would play well no matter what, but the point is we look worse than a bottom table team when playing without mata&hazard. hence the team's performance is on the brilliance of 2-3 of our players and not the manager.

also i seriously think RDM's sacking was utterly useless. chelsea were in a winter slump just like in the 2011-12 season, or in the 2010-11 season or in the 2009-10 season or any other season i can think of. we start playing shit in novemeber for some mysrical reason. but FSW's appointment just put the team under more pressure and simply slowed our comeback. as for the way we are playing right now, dont forget we ALWAYS finish STRONG. our history is our witness. this season has been very topsy-curvy but the jist of it is the same.

i dont think u dont wish to argue further... i think u simply dont have anything to argue/counter with.

also please dont derail conversations. this one started with me posting that "RDM had more knowledge/know-how about chelsea and its players" which u highly doubted so i told u why i thought so for 2 posts. on the other hand u have simply being implying that u know and see what any1 and almost eveyr1 here cant about FSW. so either give your input to the debate, put your point forward or simply ignore it. i would prefer u doing the latter thing but...

chelsea is finishing a DISTANT 3rd. this is no acheivement. we were a close 2nd when RDM was sacked. plus let me tell u what position chelsea would be if we just counted the FSW's regime... 5th!!! shocking?? hell no. because for the most part of his regime we have been poor. infact the last month has been the only time when we have played good football and got decent results on a continous basis.

are u seriously blaming RDM for finishing 6th last year?? first of all he took over in MARCH with most of the league done. our priority last year was CL not the league and it was pretty evident if you only saw the team we put up against arsenal at the emirates. or against pool at anfield. we should be worshipping RDM to take us to CL glory not cribbing about finishing 6th in the league when in the end it dint even matter.

to give credit where its due. FSW has contributed to chelsea. he has made us far more organized than we were under RDM, shown us azpi's quality, luiz's play in the mid. but thats almost it. we are still totally reliant on mata/hazard/mata&hazard.

i dont think the team's current performance has anything to do with FSW. we were playing this brand of football even under RDM. the only difference is that we are looking more fluid which is obvious because the longer u make MAZACAR play together, the better they ll get at knowing each other's game and they ll get better at combining. if the teams' perfoprmance was FSW's doing with his tactical and managerial brilliance, then we would play well no matter what, but the point is we look worse than a bottom table team when playing without mata&hazard. hence the team's performance is on the brilliance of 2-3 of our players and not the manager.

also i seriously think RDM's sacking was utterly useless. chelsea were in a winter slump just like in the 2011-12 season, or in the 2010-11 season or in the 2009-10 season or any other season i can think of. we start playing shit in novemeber for some mysrical reason. but FSW's appointment just put the team under more pressure and simply slowed our comeback. as for the way we are playing right now, dont forget we ALWAYS finish STRONG. our history is our witness. this season has been very topsy-curvy but the jist of it is the same.

i dont think u dont wish to argue further... i think u simply dont have anything to argue/counter with.

also please dont derail conversations. this one started with me posting that "RDM had more knowledge/know-how about chelsea and its players" which u highly doubted so i told u why i thought so for 2 posts. on the other hand u have simply being implying that u know and see what any1 and almost eveyr1 here cant about FSW. so either give your input to the debate, put your point forward or simply ignore it. i would prefer u doing the latter thing but...

Trust me, best just to leave him in his own bubble :rolleyes:

Not many "above average" managers available for an interim job...

Yeah, but I was merely reviewing the work he's done here. He hasn't done anything exceptional like RdM did last season for example. If Rafa got us let's say 2 more trophies (CWC and the Capital One or FA Cup for example, both very winnable) plus got us top 4 and into the Europa League final which was a very possible scenario when he took over then I'd take my hat off to him but we aren't in that position therefore I think he's done an average job.

All I can thank him for is not royally fucking up.

if the teams' perfoprmance was FSW's doing with his tactical and managerial brilliance, then we would play well no matter what, but the point is we look worse than a bottom table team when playing without mata&hazard. hence the team's performance is on the brilliance of 2-3 of our players and not the manager.

I think if you take away two top-class players from any team, they'll look like absolute crap.

You take away RvP from Arsenal last season, they'd finish mid-table...take him away from United this season, they wouldn't have won the PL title so easily...

You take away Bale from Spurs, they'd be below 6th for sure...

In most cases, the team's performance is based on the brilliance of 2-3 players...unless you have a strong tactical system like Dortmund, Bayern, Barca of 2-3 years ago...

I'm not saying that Benitez has 'achieved' anything at Chelsea...but your example applies to most clubs.

There is only one answer to it all.

So much written, so little said!

Would love to see the excuses from people like you when the new manager hits a rough patch. So, so many E-managers here, you don't know what's behind his decisions not to sub someone in, it might be a minor injury, it might be bad form/attitude shown in training and so on. Think outside the box, behind a LCD screen we all think we could do better, reality is oh so much different.

So, fans shouldn't voice their opinion on Rafa subbing Yossi Benayoun in for Oscar? With Lampard and Ba on the bench?

In the past week or so, I've seen quite a few journos banging on about how Benitez deserves a great deal of credit for getting us to our current position. This of course whilst painting us, the fans, as a bunch of ingrates blinded by the past. I, for one, don't find our current position or the man who brought us to this anything to be celebrated. We haven't secured CL qualification, though we have an appreciably better team than Le Arse and Spuds. We have consistently dropped points to lower sides (which makes today's match feel a bit ominous) on the heels of baffling substitutions or inaction. This season has been absolutely exhausting, and not in the good way. I'll be happy when we can turn the page, waive goodbye to El Gordo, and hopefully have qualified for next season's Champions League.