Chelsea lodge complaint about Clattenberg

bababoom

In my opinion it wouldn't be wise for the club to launch a racism complaint against the ref.

After just coming out of one of the biggest racism scandals in the league's history I don't think it would be wise to re-open this issue after such a controversial game where emotions are still running high.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...very interested to see what happens with this. My bet is it goes nowhere unless a ManU player heard something. Also, don't think Spanish is an ethnicity. There's not difference to me iIf someone called me a Canadian twat or just a twat. Calling Mikel a monkey would be something else entirely.

Spain is a funny place. Torres and Mata are Castilian, Romeu is Catalonian and Azpilicueta is Basque.

It's not racist in a sense but it has been used as an adjective to imply difrerence. It's almost jingoistic and xenophobic in nature.

Spanish is defo an ethnicity. Furthermore, the FA rules regarding verbal abuse include reference to one's country of origin.

Spanish is definitely not an ethnicity. The idea of ethnicity is a mixed one in general, but the Basques, Galicians, Catalans, and Castillians all have different languages, different cultures, and live in different areas of the country. Anyway, I should have said "race" and while race is also a complex and flawed idea, being black is a race and being Spanish isn't.

But if the FIFA rules do stipulate making fun of a country of origin, then yes, he certainly allegedly broke that rule.

Spanish is definitely not an ethnicity. The idea of ethnicity is a mixed one in general, but the Basques, Galicians, Catalans, and Castillians all have different languages, different cultures, and live in different areas of the country. Anyway, I should have said "race" and while race is also a complex and flawed idea, being black is a race and being Spanish isn't.

But if the FIFA rules do stipulate making fun of a country of origin, then yes, he certainly allegedly broke that rule.

From the good people at Oxford dictionaries:

Definition of ethnicity

noun (plural ethnicities)

[mass noun] the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition

There is a group of people that fit this criteria, and can thus be listed as having Spanish ethnicity.

From the good people at Oxford dictionaries:

Definition of ethnicity

noun (plural ethnicities)

[mass noun] the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition

All the groups you mentioned fit at least one of these criteria.

That's a very broad definition which means that ethnicity is just a synonym for nationality. I don't agree (and neither do all dictionaries). I would say that Basque is an ethnicity and Catalan is an ethnicity but Spanish is a nationality. Azpilicueta comes from a Basque region with Basque cultures, and a Basque language. How is he of the same cultural heritage as say Mata or Busquets? It becomes a an absolutely meaningless.term. Anyways, my broader point is that what the ref was alleged to have said to Mata is not of the same seriousness as what he is alleged to have said to Mikel. (Not disputing that it isn't acceptable).

The refs wear headsets to communicate with each other, but this isn't recorded? Why the hell not?

I wouldn't want it to be recorded. I am sure the officials are honest with each other and say things like "I didn't really see it" and they swear all the time. All recording the conversation would do is make the officials change the way they speak into some ridiculous formal way.I'd much rather they be able to communicate normally. And let's face it. This is the first time I can remember something like this.

My gut feeling this is bollocks-and a revenge thing against the FA. But Clattenberk as an employee of Man Utd deserves all he gets.

Edit: just learned the other player is Mata -he wouldnt make shit up -so this will run now and I beleive the players

We shouldn't be making a big deal out of this at all it will only add to the overall saga. If he has said anything he should apologies in private and move on.

sure, let it slide and there will be more incidents where it is okay to walk all over us.

bloody fucking hell, no!

"I wouldn't expect that from a ref, probably untrue", "A ref would never do such a thing."

Get yourselves together ffs.

Who thought Terry would've done what he allegedly did, eh?

He's a person. Not some magical alien who's immune of being an absolute idiot just because he wears a referee uniform.

sure, let it slide and there will be more incidents where it is okay to walk all over us.

bloody fucking hell, no!

Nobody want's another race row concerning this football club. Our players should know how easy it is to make a comment in the heat of the moment and should not try to drag someone through the mud like everyone did to John.

Nobody want's another race row concerning this football club. Our players should know how easy it is to make a comment in the heat of the moment and should not try to drag someone through the mud like everyone did to John.

what?

if that is the case, what is the point of all these "stop doing it" campaigns?

a person should be punished for doing something that is out of order. otherwise we'd have criminals running free everywhere.