The Mourinho Thread

Mourinho certainly deserves credit for putting us in a position to challenge for the league title right now but as Rmpr said, it's too early to say we have exceeded expectations. Different people would have different expectations from the team this season of course but if we are to go along with the exceeding expectations, best to do it at the end of the season where it will give us a better picture. At the moment, this 'exceeding expectation' evaluation could easily become 'failure to meet expectation' within a month or two if things suddenly go wrong.

You could also say that the simple reason that we are in 3rd and only 2 points behind first place right now is because we have a competent manager who knows how to challenge and win league titles as well as handling the pressure of being there, as compared to the managers we had in last 2 season - AVB, RDM and Benitez. And I don't disagree with Choulo's point that we were a cup team last season (and arguably before that too) but the average squad depth - besides having an incompetent manager - certainly played a part of us being that and inconsistent in the league. Would have been interesting to see how we would have fared had Mourinho managed us last season and with the exact same squad.

How has the team exceeded anything if we are still in January?

It has exceeded my expectations of the time it would take Jose to get the team playing a definite system that actually works and doing so consistently. We haven't had that around here in ages!

It has exceeded my expectations of the time it would take Jose to get the team playing a definite system that actually works and doing so consistently. We haven't had that around here in ages!

Atleast, not after Carlo.

Also Jose doing so without a formidable goal scorer up front clearly exceeds expectations.

Yes we haven't, but it is too early to actually start making conclusions!

We are still in January, things can go either way still. It is not because we have been playing good football and getting the results in the past 4-5 games that we are bound to continue like that and finish the season strong. The latest results have been amazing, but it won't mean much if in one month we start with that same old inconsistency. It is like you are judging the whole season by the months of December and January!

I am not saying we aren't playing well and Mourinho inst doing a great job (I even said the contrary in previous pages), but at the moment, it is nothing beyond current form. It will only be something else if we keep on doing this for a longer period of time. He has not exceeded absolutely anything yet. Maybe you were the one pessimistic about this season, but for me (and many others), it is right on track with what we have predicted, not more and not less. Like Jose said it himself, his grade is a 7 or 7.5 - more than a 5 and less than a 10!

We also had a pretty good run with Benitez at the end of last season (longer than that of right now), but it counts for nothing if we don't keep on performing. Let's wait a little longer before we start jumping the gun...

@_GoncaloLopes: "I had other offers but Mourinho is Mourinho", Matic just told Benfica TV #cfc”

That's how important the manager is

----------------------

One of the biggest advantages of having a manager known for the close relationship he builds with his players is this.

And also another reason why Man United are screwed.

Mourinho is doing good job.

With Matic, Willian, Oscar and Ramires we will get immense workrate. This wins you titles. Hazard and hopefuly clinical striker will make this team world class.

I only hoped we might get close to Bayern/Bvb team work, pressing and workrate. It came sooner than I expected, kudos to Mourinho.

I will say what wins you title is squad depth. This is why mourinho is trying his best to keep mata, but who are we kidding? Mata will not accept that for too long unless he has small ambitions.

This is where I think mourinho will have to start using the youth set up to give a little more depth. Cause we will not have that luxury of having really good players like mata in a sub rotational basis.

Or he can always buy decent players like guarin for depth, but I do hope he takes more chances with youth in the years to come, cause I didn't expect it this season.

Mourinho is doing good job.

With Matic, Willian, Oscar and Ramires we will get immense workrate. This wins you titles. Hazard and hopefuly clinical striker will make this team world class.

I only hoped we might get close to Bayern/Bvb team work, pressing and workrate. It came sooner than I expected, kudos to Mourinho.

Exactly.

People forget that bayern last season were based on immense work rate, that got them to concede only 14goals in the league all season.

If we add a clinical striker, that's 1-2 goals extra than we have in every match this season.