Oscar

themightyblue

we hope, but during PS (if that's any indication) he took corners even when either Schurrle or Cesc were in the pitch. Especially at the left side. Makes no sense. Anyone but him, doesn't matter if it's not the other guy's best foot, his weak foot is better than Willian's rightful foot for corners. It's no jab on him - not everyone has to be able to take corners. He works well in central FK, but in corners he's terrible.

I re-watched parts of the match and I thought Oscar was better than in my first impression. He fulfilled a role well. Sometimes he did move forward, but he didn't receive the pass, I saw him a few times even higher than Costa (who comes back a lot to press, to receive, to everything, he's amazing). He's lacking a lot of creativity, but in the Costa goal (could be Schurrle's, not sure) he tried a through ball just a couple of seconds before the Cesc pass (probably Costa's, as for Schurrle's goal Hazard simply raped their whole defense all by himself). It was a nice ball by him, but the defender was lucky and could intercept. I remember another occasion he also completed a nice pass forward. The problem is/was he doesn't do it nearly enough and the accuracy isn't high. With Cesc creating like that, we won't miss it much, but the thing is, unfortunately, Cesc won't be this beast 38 games... Oscar should get the chance of being released of an overwhelming responsibility and flourish, just like Eden had. Eden didn't assist any goal yesterday, but he was amazing. He did his flicks, always very objectively, never just for the fun of it, and he played an important whole stretching their defense. We seem incredibly balanced now, but that's because Cesc was phenomenal. In a 'normal' day Oscar has to try harder and do better. Hazard seems to have already found his place there and he's working very good (oh I remember the other occasion, it was a sequence of passes involving Eden, Oscar and Costa, still in the first half, inside the 18-yard box - I guess it's from that play that comes the corner Iva scored? I could be wrong though about the timing).

Oscar doesn't need to appear in the stats if he can contribute to the match like Hazard did. Of course, some matches the last pass before the goal will be theirs and not Fab's, but that's the step Oscar needs to take now. Be there, do the thing, try to shine some all while still doing his pressing, high work-rate, tackle things. It doesn't seem to overload him and as I said a few days ago, he tackles a lot of balls in the final third. That's invaluable. To recover the ball when the opposition's defense and pivot are moving apart, to start their transition is one of the best attack opportunities. If he does that effectively, it's nearly the same as assisting, because if he intercepts/tackles the ball and passes it quickly to someone near him that may need another pass before the goal, his contribution is relevant. So I'll be happy if he keeps those tackles there and if he tries to create a few times himself during a match. I don't need him to have double digit assists in that case. I do expect him to have double digit goals though.

are you kidding me? Hazard was a pivotal player for us yesterday and yes, he's set the world on fire. He was amazing and contributed a lot.

Its funny because people often talk about free role and who has it. If I'm going on last game I'd say Cesc had the free role and Oscar and Matic were left to compensate for Cesc's musings forward. I think Cesc had somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 touches and most of that was facilitated by Oscar's awareness and improving positional sense.

I don't quite understand what everyone expects; that because Oscar is played in the traditional 10 position his role is that of a 10? he does so much more than that and as I said, now that Cesc is the main cog in unlocking teams, Oscar's footballing brain is even more important. He's a fantastic one touch player and understands what the manager needs from him tactically.

but wouldn't ramires be the better option in the #10 if that's what we expect from that position?

I feel that Ramires is more selfish and inclined to make wrong decisions than Oscar. When Ramires and Fabregas were on the pitch at the same time, Ramires was the one playing more advanced than Cesc, and Cesc wasn't going forward much, basically playing a holding midfielder. Their dynamic was different from the one we saw yesterday between Cesc and Oscar. It's hard to judge based just on a few matches, of course, but that's the impression I got.

And why was that?

because he's playing like a DM when he should be playing like a 10 or atleast an 8. I understand he's contributes to us defensively but if we just stuck a DM in his position we'd be better off. Don't make it seem like he was the reason we ticked yesterday. He did almost nothing yesterday.

I am looking at his role during the game than shirt numbers and their position on the team sheet. Oscar was the #10, you're absolutely right. But really we played more like a 6 (Matic) and two 8s (Cesc and Oscar). Now if Cesc wasn't behind him, then he inherently has to be responsible for being that creative #10 and in that case I agree with you and others that he just isn't that player.

Basically, my point is that he complements Cesc perfectly. If Cesc isn't on the team sheet then I rather play with Willian as the #10.

I understand your point. But if his only argument for playing in the starting 11 is because he compliments Fabregas well, then he probably won't last.

because he's playing like a DM when he should be playing like a 10 or atleast an 8. I understand he's contributes to us defensively but if we just stuck a DM in his position we'd be better off. Don't make it seem like he was the reason we ticked yesterday. He did almost nothing yesterday.

If you want to get an accurate understanding of Oscar's role in the team I'd encourage you to look at this video that highlights Cesc Fabregas. Look at the positions Oscar took up when Fab was on the ball.

Its about balance, most of you want 10 Hazard's on the field, a squad needs balance and guys like Ramires, Oscar and Willian are the types of guys who are willing to sacrifice their numbers for the betterment of the squad.

http://vimeo.com/103800629

We win a flawless victory and people still complain of oscar because no goal and no assist. If willian/hazard played 10 fabregas won't go forward otherwise our defense would be exposed because they don't have that quality of feeling gaps where the team needs to be filled to keep the balance flowing. When we needed goals he had a lot of movement with matic and fabregas in midfield which resulted in exceptional play and gave us balance of possession for our attacks and when we were leading he dropped deeper to defend and link up midfield. He did not have a great game especially as an attacker but it was far from a bad performance as team player. Its not an excuse being a team player but just his quality which has developed the most. We will see on saturday if he plays a different kind of game because it was important to have possession away but at home it is natural. I find him more dynamic than our other attacking midfielders(able to try to adapt to situation of the team) despite not being better solely in direct attacking sense.

He scored over 10 goals in every of his two seasons with us when he came at age 20 or 21 for a young AM playing at the highest level that is good because it is the equivalent of a striker scoring 20 goals or more but in addition he is selfless.

He is by far the best outfield player of his age and below in chelsea but I guess there will always be critics.

The big problem for a large group when it comes to rating/analyzing Oscar is the difference between the expectations (what they want Oscar to do) and his actual role in the team. They are two completely different things.

Something I noticed yesterday:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x240dq5_burnley-1-3-chelsea-premier-league-highlights_sport

Forward to 1:40

Hazard passes the ball to Oscar and moves forward. Oscar tries to reach him but the Burnley player kicks the ball away. The ball doesn't get far away and another Burnley player is waiting for the ball to drop so he can clear it. A Silva or a Ozil or a Iniesta would stand still and watch him clear it 99 out of a 100 times, at the least. Oscar being Oscar, he sees an opportunity for his team to regain possesion and challenges for the ball and he does so succesfully. Which then leads to Chelsea scoring a goal.

Oscar is not much of a 'direct' creator, but it's in these kind of situations where he definitely does play a part in the creation of chances and opportunities to score. His ability to win balls in the final third is a form of 'creativity'.

The big problem for a large group when it comes to rating/analyzing Oscar is the difference between the expectations (what they want Oscar to do) and his actual role in the team. They are two completely different things.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x240dq5_burnley-1-3-chelsea-premier-league-highlights_sport

Hazard passes the ball to Oscar and moves forward. Oscar tries to reach him but the Burnley player kicks the ball away. The ball doesn't get far away and another Burnley player is waiting for the ball to drop so he can clear it. A Silva or a Ozil or a Iniesta would stand still and watch him clear it 99 out of a 100 times, at the least. Oscar being Oscar, he sees an opportunity for his team to regain possesion and challenges for the ball and he does so succesfully. Which then leads to Chelsea scoring a goal.

Oscar is not much of a 'direct' creator, but it's in these kind of situations where he definitely does play a part in the creation of chances and opportunities to score. His ability to win balls in the final third is a form of 'creativity'.

Glad you showed that, I didn't remember that. I may be in the minority but I think Oscar played well. He was given a role and executed it perfectly. He's selfless and makes the right decision (usually ). He's not stupid, Like Ramires. I don't see the problem with Oscars night last night.

ramires or any Dm could have done that too. and the Iniest's of the world would have probably completed hat pass anyway. People here are simply praising his work rate.

Yes oscar on form is top 5 in overall productivity, but when all he does is defend and pass the ball backwards, he's not deserving of the starting 11 spot.

I can't believe people won't even admit he's on bad form.

I heard similar arguments for Torres his first year, when a player is underperforming ppl start praising his workrate

ramires or any Dm could have done that too. People here are simply praising his work rate.

Yes oscar on form is top 5 in overall productivity, but when all he does is defend and pass the ball backwards, he's not deserving of the starting 11 spot.

I can't believe people won't even admit he's on bad form.

I heard similar arguments for Torres his first year, when a player is underperforming ppl start praising his workrate

Who was talking about the quality of his performance or his form?

You are seriously underrating the importance of positioning for attacking players. You can't play a DM high up the pitch, they have no idea where to move. Ramires could have done that but there's a very good chance he'd never be standing in such a position.

By your logic, centrebacks would make the best defensive midfielders.

You don't have to tell me Oscar needs to better. I've said so plenty of times. Only thing is, I don't just focus on the negative.

Who was talking about the quality of his performance or his form?

You are seriously the importance of positioning for attacking players. You can't play a DM high up the pitch, they have no idea where to move. Ramires could have done that but there's a very good chance he'd never be standing in such a position.

By your logic, centrebacks would make the best defensive midfielders.

You don't have to tell me Oscar needs to better. I've said so plenty of times. Only thing is, I don't just focus on the negative.

If you're focusing on the positives of his performance that's completely fair. But my point is that if that's as good as its gonna get with Oscar, then he won't be here for too long

If you're focusing on the positives of his performance that's completely fair. But my point is that if that's as good as its gonna get with Oscar, then he won't be here for too long

Yup it was only Burnley. Wait until he has more games where he only is good off the ball and "helping" Cesc, people will call for his head.