Oscar

themightyblue

This not a insult to you so don't take it personally, but I've seen that suggested a few times and I just think people are really desperate to shoehorn Mata into the side somehow. It's even more surprising to suggest that after Oscar just put in one of the most brilliant tactical performances you will ever see from a young attacking player. Mata couldn't have provided that sort of performance in a game like that in his wildest dreams. How can you advocate putting Oscar in DM after the game last night? It just doesn't make sense.

If/when we play Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid, Atletico, Dortmund and Utd/City (i.e. the big European/English teams) Oscar will always play CAM unless he's injured.

I doubt Mata will even play against those teams let alone displacing one of our most important players from by far his best position.

Disagree, he may have a amazing work rate and be really good pressing up front... But i think its the other way around! In this game he may had helped in the pressure but i think that he struggled to lead the attack in the CAM position... His best moments were when he dropped deep to give flair to the game. In the big games we will need someone that can defend and orchestrate the game from behind... I really believe that player is Oscar and that his real position is DLP.

I also believe that he can play as CAM... But with not his true best game, this, without count that we can play with Mata(our playmaker for 2 years) there.

This not a insult to you so don't take it personally, but I've seen that suggested a few times and I just think people are really desperate to shoehorn Mata into the side somehow. It's even more surprising to suggest that after Oscar just put in one of the most brilliant tactical performances you will ever see from a young attacking player. Mata couldn't have provided that sort of performance in a game like that in his wildest dreams. How can you advocate putting Oscar in DM after the game last night? It just doesn't make sense.

If/when we play Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid, Atletico, Dortmund and Utd/City (i.e. the big European/English teams) Oscar will always play CAM unless he's injured.

I doubt Mata will even play against those teams let alone displacing one of our most important players from by far his best position.

Why? The answer is simple. Oscar was really poor offensively. I agree, he did do a very good job; defensively. But he is far from being a natural #10 (at least in Chelsea from what Ive seen) and Mata IS that.

I think some of you guys here are forgetting what Mata has done here at Chelsea the last season. You are buying into what the media says, what others at the forum say and what you've made up in your mind.

His best performances have come from him playing deep. I'm convinced that is where he will blossom

He'd be great deep in a 4-3-3, in a 4-2-3-1, I don't see it. He likes to press a lot defensively. Great as an attacker when you have teammates behind you if the opposing player gets by you. As a defensive midfielder, you need to play angles and cover lanes more than pressing and going for the tackle. Same goes for trying to dribble past players which Oscar likes to do. As an attacker, it's fine (sometimes). As a central midfielder, if you give up the ball, you're badly caught out on the counter and you should be looking to play the ball anyway instead of trying to dribble. He's versatile enough to play multiple positions, but I don't see him as a natural box to box midfielder who could become a great #10 if he improves his offensive game.

He'd be great deep in a 4-3-3, in a 4-2-3-1, I don't see it. He likes to press a lot defensively. Great as an attacker when you have teammates behind you if the opposing player gets by you. As a defensive midfielder, you need to play angles and cover lanes more than pressing and going for the tackle. Same goes for trying to dribble past players which Oscar likes to do. As an attacker, it's fine (sometimes). As a central midfielder, if you give up the ball, you're badly caught out on the counter and you should be looking to play the ball anyway instead of trying to dribble. He's versatile enough to play multiple positions, but I don't see him as a natural box to box midfielder who could become a great #10 if he improves his offensive game.

that's what I keep repeating to myself. He's perfect for a 4-3-3, for example using yesterday's formation:

Cech

Ivan - Cahill - Luiz - Cole

Ramires - Lampard

Oscar

André - Hazard

Torres

The alternatives with our squad are amazing too with Willian/Mata for André, KDB for Oscar himself, Mikel or Essien for Lamps, Terry for Cahill, Azpili for Ivan and of course Eto'o for Torres

that's what I keep repeating to myself. He's perfect for a 4-3-3, for example using yesterday's formation:

Cech

Ivan - Cahill - Luiz - Cole

Ramires - Lampard

Oscar

André - Hazard

Torres

The alternatives with our squad are amazing too with Willian/Mata for André, KDB for Oscar himself, Mikel or Essien for Lamps, Terry for Cahill, Azpili for Ivan and of course Eto'o for Torres

I also agree that he may be better suited to the 4-3-3 for leaving space for him to create and go up front to shoot, but not as the main playmaker Cam... I think it would be ideal for him to be the second man in the midfield, to give him liberty to press foward or behind, drop deep to create and come up front whenever he want.

I only heard of him in 2011 - a year before we signed him.

You have to realise that in Europe, South American football is moreorless irrelevant to quite a lot of people. That is why a lot of people look down on national leagues over there, and then get surprised at how good the league's level actually is. It is also very rarely televised over here - so with no coverage, how can you expect people to to know about South American football? The difference is you guys over there get even more live EPL games than we do! :lol:

Hahaha, I know mate, I wasnt expecting Europeans to watch South American leagues. There is no appealing reason to do so. But Oscar and Neymar were hyped since forever, so I thought the news would have already arrive in Europe before their caps...

No matter what though, professional scouts from big clubs have the obligation to follow SA football, IMO. The vast majority of the worldwide talent comes from latin cultures (Spain, Portugal, Italy, Brazil, Argetina, Chile, etc) and Chelsea youth managers must be aware of what is happening here!

Hahaha, I know mate, I wasnt expecting Europeans to watch South American leagues. There is no appealing reason to do so. But Oscar and Neymar were hyped since forever, so I thought the news would have already arrive in Europe before their caps...

No matter what though, professional scouts from big clubs have the obligation to follow SA football, IMO. The vast majority of the worldwide talent comes from latin cultures (Spain, Portugal, Italy, Brazil, Argetina, Chile, etc) and Chelsea youth managers must be aware of what is happening here!

Both fair points - but again, there is literally no coverage of South American football in the UK. ESPN used to show the Copa Sudamericana, I'm not sure if they do anymore. Even the most-hyped talents like Neymar only came to national attention in England in 2010/11. It's quite bad really, I enjoy Latin American football as it's so technically brilliant, and very exciting in terms of attack-versus-attack.

Oscar left Brazil NT training session injured - he has pain in his right foot.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL

That's all what we get from it: our players getting injured.

Let's hope it's nothing serious and that Felipão has the decency of not playing him in a frigging friendly and risk him getting a worse injury

edit: he twisted his ankle. will be re-evaluated in 48h because his foot is too swollen for them to evaluate it now

Oscar left Brazil NT training session injured - he has pain in his right foot.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL

That's all what we get from it: our players getting injured.

Let's hope it's nothing serious and that Felipão has the decency of not playing him in a frigging friendly and risk him getting a worse injury

edit: he twisted his ankle. will be re-evaluated in 48h because his foot is too swollen for them to evaluate it now

Hopefully he's alright. Twisted ankle can be anything from a slight stretch too a rupture. Let's hope for the best.