Oscar

themightyblue

That's what ams are supposed to do,link the back to the front and create,its no surprise he drops deep during games.silva,ozil,xavi(for Spain) do that.This is where mata has a bit if a problem,he doesn't go back to get the ball a lot.hazard doesn't do it at all when he plays am lol

I can't pretend to know a lot about Oscar but I've seen him play about 5/6 times now and he plays deep. He doesn't look the player to play in the 3 behind Torres.

He drifts. He likes to drop deep and influence the play, sometimes he drifts beyond the central striker (happened quite a few times against Sweden on Wednesday night), he drifts left, he drifts right (more right than left). Put him in the double pivot and all of that is gone, he has to sit deep, make the occasional run forward but that's it. It's a complete waste of an extraordinary talent.

His best role is that of a number 10 and that's the one I hope he plays but if not he can play wide right, with the freedom to drift. Once he is part of the 3 behind the striker is the main thing.

That's what ams are supposed to do,link the back to the front and create,its no surprise he drops deep during games.silva,ozil,xavi(for Spain) do that.This is where mata has a bit if a problem,he doesn't go back to get the ball a lot.hazard doesn't do it at all when he plays am lol

Mata drifted back a fair bit last season and that was one of the problems. He had to move everywhere. On the left, right, attacking, coming back. He was covering too much ground. You really don't want your attacking midfielders receiving the ball too deep too often and while players like Silva and Ozil can drop back, they also get service from deeper players like Alonso and Ya Ya Toure. It's hard to know what Oscar will be like because most of us have only watched him with Brazil. We'll see. His best role will likely be playing in the 3 behind the striker though.

I agree that playing Oscar in the double pivot of a 4-2-3-1 would not work.

I would prefer if we played a 4-3-3 like the one Semia 7 suggested.

----------------------------Torres

Hazard----------------------------------------------Mata

--------------------Oscar------Ramires/Lamps

---------------------Romeu/Essien/Mikel

That way Oscar can be the deeplying playmaker supplying Hazard/Mata and Torres while still being able to roam and make his forward runs.

That would also suit Ramires and Lamps more as they could make their runs from the secondary line.It would also relieve the number 6 (Romeu/Essien/Mikel) from them passing forward and having to supply our front 3.

@Land

Ehm actually no it's not.

A nr 10's job is to link up play between midfield and the forwards, creating chaos by running between the lines, making diagonal runs in the back of the LW and RW. Basically creating chances and doing as much damage as possible.

What your talking about is a deep lying playmaker. These guys are the ones who receive the ball from the back four and distribute the ball to the forwards.

The only reason a nr 10 would drop deep to ask the ball is if he feels he's not getting on the ball enough or if his team has no deep lying playmaker and is struggling with distributing the ball.

Personally i don't like it when a nr 10 drops deep. Because of it you lose a player in front of the ball I prefer my nr 10 to play on the half of the opponent.

Ozil has Alonso as DLP. Silva has Touré and Xavi is a DLP.

The problem came from Mata as well. He has the volume of play of a midfielder in terms of amount of transmissions if we look at the figures only: 43.7 passes attempted per game last season in PL. But he hasn't the ball retention from a MF, in fact he's so fragile in possession that he frees the ball just before being closed down. It accelerates the play but on the other hand Mata doesn't act as a rythm regulator. There was also the problem of his unability to defend due to the amount of energy he uses to be always running when we're in possession

Oscar seems to keep the ball a bit better. His utilisation of the ball is something special for a 20 years old, I just hope he wont get some dumb stick for "passing backwards".

I would like him to start tomorrow alongside Ramires and Bertrand otherwise

You're right that Mata doesn't dictate the pace of the game, but almost no players in the Premier league can do that. There is too much talent and depth in the league to allow people to boss the game around. Oscar will not have the same time that he has had in Brazil to look for openings. I'd hate to see Oscar starting without some time to get familiar with the team. Ramires will likely start and no way in hell Bertrand starts unless Cole is hurt. Bertrand looked pretty decent in a handful of games last season, but Cole is one of the best LBs in the world. I think Bertrand will make a good LB some day, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't Chelsea caliber either. I know everyone loves the new and potential, but as we found out last year, often the older and the established are better.

As for Oscar getting stick? I don't think it will happen. It will be Lampard and Mikel who will get the blame for anything that goes wrong.

I meant Bertrand on the left wing lol

Way too defensive. Bertrand is a LB who can be deployed as a winger if we want to play defensively. We have a lot of players that can play on the left who can attack. Anyway, I think the lineup is 95% going to be Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Mikel, Lampard, Mata, Hazard, Ramires, Torres unless someone is hurt or exhausted. Only possible change I can see is Cahill in for Luiz but don't think that will happen this week. I expect Oscar and Sturridge to both make appearances off the bench as well.

Di matteo:On Oscar he said: 'He is a goal-scoring midfielder, a creative midfielder as well. In his career so far he has played on the left side, he has played there with the national team, and he has played behind the strikers and the number 8 role as well in a three-man midfield - so he is quite versatile.

'He had a very good Olympic tournament and he is a young man as well, let's not forget that, and I think he will be a very good addition for us.

'He has broken through to the senior Brazil team at a young age and you need personality to achieve that.'

Although Oscar played in the Olympics, Di Matteo does not anticipate needing to give him the type of break during the season he is planning for Juan Mata, who has played a considerable amount of football over the past 12 months. The manager indicated Spain may be willing to help by not selecting the Chelsea Player of the Year for internationals this autumn.

'Mata needs to have a break,' added Di Matteo, 'and it is important as much as training is important that you have a rest and recharge your batteries and come back fresh. We will it plan it intelligently so he won't miss too much of our season.'

When they do play, the Italian is looking to the likes of Mata and Oscar to take some the goal-scoring weight off the shoulders of Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge.

'We have two very good strikers who can score goals and I'm sure they will. We need the other players to chip in - Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Lampard always scores goals, and Ramires at the end of last season scored some important goals - so we need to try to diversify it.