Luke Shaw

Joker10

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it...

Jose's thinking. Do I want to win now or develop youth? Am I really going to care about what someone potential is in 5-10 years, when I probably won't be here. As mentioned before, Luis might not automatically bring that, but to Jose's mind. he bring them closer than Shaw does in terms of winning, etc.

You are absolutely wrong to think this season has been a breakout season for Luis, he has been regarded as arguably the best left back in La Liga for years. I know i have mentioned his quality on this forum a couple of times over the years. Two reasons why he is getting the credit he deserves among non La liga followers; one is because of Alti success inEurope+league and second because he is being linked to Chelsea. I know when he was linked to Barca a lot of Barca fans were disappointed that they signed Jordi Alba instead of him.

The comparison to Shaw and Costa is ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind the Filipe Luis signing but using "he's played against Ronaldo, Bale, Di Maria and Pedro" as an argument as to why we should sign him is very poor.

Using the "can he cut it out in Europe?" argument in conjunction to that is poor as well. Not every right winger in Europe is Bale/Di Maria/Pedro level...

Sure, Luis is a top left back, one of the best in Spain, but Shaw based on current ability is also one of the best in his position already in the PL too.

Shaw plays beyond his years already. On average, the jump from PL to CL isn't even that big because you don't face the best of the best every game.

You're really reaching if you're trying to use European experience as a reason not to sign Shaw IMO.

Its a factor to consider though, yes not every winger is at that level but its something that worries me a bit given we will be looking to get to the semi finals every year and we will end up against a team like Real/Bayern/Barca or that eventually. Its the same with at the World Cup, he's really unknown quality on that stage as he is in European competition, also with a massive price tag (which I wouldn't pay even if he was going to be our LB for over 10 years given hes a full back, I mean cmon we got Azpilicueta who was just as good if not better at LB this year for 7 million). What if he has a bad start? Half the forum go ape shit and say we shouldn't have spent 20-30m on him like Oscar this year lol? I'd prefer a more experienced player over him right now or Cole to stay just so we have an experienced backup of some sort. He is a great talent but he is also a slightly risky signing. I'm sure he'd be a success but I'm just looking at what could happen because theres no guarantees that he will replicate how he's played for Southampton for Chelsea as its a different team, much more pressure as theirs an expectancy to win every game. I mean if we are desperate for English players why don't we go and get Baines? Sure he's 29 and will only do a few more years but hes a better player right now. This team needs players who have already developed to close to their best so we have a mix of youthful players, players in their prime and then the much more experienced players.

Signing average english players like Liverpool do isn't what I'm advocating, but when actual 'proven' english talent comes along, you have to roll the dice. It's worth the premium for the culture of the club in the long run..

With Lampard & Cole leaving it's really starting to put things in perspective. Arsenal have shaken off the bad PR they 'used' to have from fielding zero home grown players, with Wilshere, Walcott & Ox. We're now slowly going backwards, and soon enough we'll be the new Arsenal.

Signing average english players like Liverpool do isn't what I'm advocating, but when actual 'proven' english talent comes along, you have to roll the dice. It's worth the premium for the culture of the club in the long run..

With Lampard & Cole leaving it's really starting to put things in perspective. Arsenal have shaken off the bad PR they 'used' to have from fielding zero home grown players, with Wilshere, Walcott & Ox. We're now slowly going backwards, and soon enough we'll be the new Arsenal.

The only thing I can think of is that the board is banking on the fact that some of the English youngsters in the academy break through over the next few years.

Blackman as a backup, Chalobah maybe as soon as next season to be part of the squad. Baker, RLC, Aina in the future.

That said, not sure about first XI players. But the problem is that there really aren't many quality English players good enough to be first XI players at a top 5 European club. Feel squad players is the ceiling for most of them. Very few are even close to world class level, let alone at that level.

It is a worry though, very soon Cahill will most likely be the only Englishman in our first XI.

I agree on this but it seems Jose wants Luis. :-(

Good point....but £100k p/w wages for an 18 year old? Those are the figures being reported and that's more than some of our most important players earn. It's unearned and unjustified. Should other players have pay-raises in accordance with this wage, or should they just be told that because Shaw is English he can ask for more and we'll pay it?

As for us being the new Arsenal....no.

Good point....but £100k p/w wages for an 18 year old? Those are the figures being reported and that's more than some of our most important players earn. It's unearned and unjustified. Should other players have pay-raises in accordance with this wage, or should they just be told that because Shaw is English he can ask for more and we'll pay it?

While I agree about the finances, it's not like it's not in our m.o.. I remember Sturridge was on £60k p/w when he was just a reserve player ffs.

The figures going around to acquire his services aren't right in my book. We shouldn't have to pay over the odds for ANY player. Utd are eager for instant success, we aren't.

We are on course to have a great season, if he buy wisely.

The figures going around to acquire his services aren't right in my book. We shouldn't have to pay over the odds for ANY player. Utd are eager for instant success, we aren't.

We are on course to have a great season, if he buy wisely.

That would seem ironic considering they're going for an 18 yr old, while we're gunning for a 28 yr old LB.

That would seem ironic considering they're going for an 18 yr old, while we're gunning for a 28 yr old LB.

I am talking about the price tag. We are going for someone with experience for half the price. We are buying wisely, and not just hoping it will work out.

I am talking about the price tag. We are going for someone with experience for half the price. We are buying wisely, and not just hoping it will work out.

Buying 'wisely' would be thinking long term, both in terms of the home grown quota (which we're failing on atm, we need 8.. I counted 4.. 5 with Fabregas.), and of course ROI. Because as mentioned a million times already, even as an 18 year old he's proven himself at the top level now, he's the 2nd best natural left back in the country.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You