Luke Shaw

Joker10

Because Evra is shit and old? Shaw will get the bulk of the games with Evra as cover and his mentor for a season to help him settle.

Basically how it should be here with Ash and Shaw.

Ok.

Yes, we should have do the same thing with Cole and Shaw, but with Cole released we should know that Jose will find a main and experienced LB like Filipe Luis.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could Shaw cut it in Europe against a very good wide player, someone like Pedro, Bale, Di Maria or that at 18, 19 or 20 ? Sure Walcott or Lennon is one thing but if we got one of Barcelona or Real Madrid in the CL, players like Bale or Pedro or Di Maria I feel would probably give him a hell of a time.

Maybe a more experienced player could be better for now, maybe not though. Jose will get a very good LB in though, so we will see.

If we kept Cole then signing Shaw would have made sense, if Shaw struggled against some bigger players in Europe then Ash could step in and do what hes been doing for years, big performances in big games. I don't think Jose will spend a fair chunk of the Luiz money on a 18 year old LB with 60 odd PL games though.

Could Shaw cut it in Europe against a very good wide player, someone like Pedro, Bale, Di Maria or that at 18, 19 or 20 ? Sure Walcott or Lennon is one thing but if we got one of Barcelona or Real Madrid in the CL, players like Bale or Pedro or Di Maria I feel would probably give him a hell of a time.

Maybe a more experienced player could be better for now, maybe not though. Jose will get a very good LB in though, so we will see.

If we kept Cole then signing Shaw would have made sense, if Shaw struggled against some bigger players in Europe then Ash could step in and do what hes been doing for years, big performances in big games. I don't think Jose will spend a fair chunk of the Luiz money on a 18 year old LB with 60 odd PL games though.

To be fair, those players would give almost every fullback in the world hell.

Exactly, that's why Luis signing would be more understandable at the moment imo. Luis had face Ronaldo, Messi, Di Maria in so many games this season (4 times against Real, 4 times against Barca, if I'm correct). Shaw has that potential but I think he needs time and at the moment I think he is not ready yet.

I wouldn't mind the Filipe Luis signing but using "he's played against Ronaldo, Bale, Di Maria and Pedro" as an argument as to why we should sign him is very poor.

Using the "can he cut it out in Europe?" argument in conjunction to that is poor as well. Not every right winger in Europe is Bale/Di Maria/Pedro level...

Sure, Luis is a top left back, one of the best in Spain, but Shaw based on current ability is also one of the best in his position already in the PL too.

Shaw plays beyond his years already. On average, the jump from PL to CL isn't even that big because you don't face the best of the best every game.

You're really reaching if you're trying to use European experience as a reason not to sign Shaw IMO.

I wouldn't mind the Filipe Luis signing but using "he's played against Ronaldo, Bale, Di Maria and Pedro" as an argument as to why we should sign him is very poor.

Using the "can he cut it out in Europe?" argument in conjunction to that is poor as well. Not every right winger in Europe is Bale/Di Maria/Pedro level...

Sure, Luis is a top left back, one if the best in Spain, but Shaw based on current ability is also one of the best in his position already in the PL too.

Shaw plays beyond his years already. On average, the jump from PL to CL isn't even that big because you don't face the best of the best every game.

You're really reaching if you're trying to use European experience as a reason not to sign Shaw IMO.

The thing with Felipe Luis is that he is hardly a top player in general. People are only raving about him because he came off a good season at Atletico Madrid. If this move was to happen last year, there would have been a furore. In this case, it feels like we are buying a player based on form rather than the player himself being actually good and have form to back it up.

The thing with Felipe Luis is that he is hardly a top player in general. People are only raving about him because he came off a good season at Atletico Madrid. If this move was to happen last year, there would have been a furore. In this case, it feels like we are buying a player based on form rather than the player himself being actually good and have form to back it up.

Could say the same about Shaw, he really came to life during this season, last season I doubt many people even knew who he were. Also Filipe has actually been considered a top LB since 3-4 years ago, during 1 point there was rumors of him going to Real but he broke his leg so it was off so he moved to Atletico.

The exact same thing can be said about Costa too.

Could say the same about Shaw, he really came to life during this season, last season I doubt many people even knew who he were. Also Filipe has actually been considered a top LB since 3-4 years ago, during 1 point there was rumors of him going to Real but he broke his leg so it was off so he moved to Atletico.

That's somewhat an exaggeration. This was a guy who the club rejected because they thought he was too small and am pretty sure that many would have know him beforehand and much more about Luis.

The exact same thing can be said about Costa too.

One could argue at least he has shown his qualities and it's evident. Not too sure about Luis..

Not true, Shaw has actually been scouted by various clubs for longer than just this season.. He was also prominent last season so he's actually maintained this for over 2 years. He's a graduate of a very successful Southampton academy too so I highly doubt many people would've been dismissive. The only advantage we would've had is not having to pay £30m because we could have had him prior to a contract extension and then he would've been much cheaper and in an Azpilicueta situation.

It's a poor argument. Every top player has to start somewhere. They said the same thing about Bale when Tottenham came up against Inter Milan and at the time the best RB in the world Maicon.. By the end of that game everyone in the world was singing "taxi for Maicon." His lack of experience against Ronaldo (he has come up v Bale.) could be turned around and I can say you haven't had a chance to see he can take on Ronaldo.

Cahill

Matic

Van Ginkel

Oscar

Azpi

Ivanovic

PETR CECH

A selection of the players whose reported wages would be lower than 18 year old Luke Shaw's reported wages.

Now I'm sure some might use words like 'market' and stuff like that to try and justify it but if these reported figures are correct, these aren't market prices when there's so few suitors for him.

Yeah except that Luis was already very good last year but people didnt notice because he didnt play in CL final...

he has been quality , ever since his deportivo days

To be honest, if Shaw came I don't think he'd be on anything near £100k. Just because United are throwing that sort of money at him doesn't mean we will as well.

'Rooney aside', United have always had a pretty strict wage structure. Just goes to show how it's all going to shit now Ferguson's left.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You