Luke Shaw

Joker10

I want to see Shaw doing in World Cup first before making any decision.

Most likely, he won't play. Unless if England somehow have nothing to play for in the 3rd game.

Luis is great but he's 29 fucking years old and isn't even the best in his position.

He really isn't far off. He's the best LB in la liga, or at worst top 2. And in Europe after Alaba (mainly offensively), i can't think of many better.
So Mourinho and co might probably consider him the best LB in the world.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so we need 8 home-grown or 'under 21 players' to fill the 25 man squad.

1. Cahill

2. John Terry (33 years old!!!)

3. Lukaku (under 21)

4. Zouma (under 21)

.... Fuck.

Kalas would count.. but he really needs a loan for his development. Unless we keep hold of guys like Omeruo, Piazón & Ake 'JUST' to fill the quota.. for the sake of it and to give Mourinho 'non-options'. I.e - kill their careers, just so we can have our 29 year old foreign left back for 20 odd million.

What's a concern to me is that I've not seen any solid articles linking us to Shaw, SkySports have only reported Manchester United being really interested in him. We've only been fully linked with Luis.

A lot of our deals are out of nowhere now. Shaw has been linked a lot to Chelsea over the course of the season. Reason Utd are getting so much coverage is they're the only ones to have "apparently" bid. If we bid, or Liverpool, we would then get all the coverage

A lot of our deals are out of nowhere now. Shaw has been linked a lot to Chelsea over the course of the season. Reason Utd are getting so much coverage is they're the only ones to have "apparently" bid. If we bid, or Liverpool, we would then get all the coverage

Well you're right, the left-back pool is certainly getting shorter too.. Liverpool are in for Moreno

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9330407/transfer-news-liverpool-linked-with-sevilla-left-back-alberto-moreno

Well you're right, the left-back pool is certainly getting shorter too.. Liverpool are in for Moreno

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9330407/transfer-news-liverpool-linked-with-sevilla-left-back-alberto-moreno

Thats a poor deal for Sevilla. I'd want about £25m-30m in just cash

Hopefully the fee is much lower than what's being reported. Would love Shaw here, but I don't see an issue with targeting a more experienced player so long as it's value for money, and I can't say this would be one. The board has done so well with bringing in players like Azpi, Cahill and even Kevin De Bruyne, Courtois etc for all under 10 million. It would be a shame to take a step backwards now by blowing......20m(?) on a player who essentially can only give you 3 seasons.

A short term signing isn't necessarily a bad thing, if that's what Jose wants. But a short term signing for that kind of money?

Hopefully the fee is much lower than what's being reported. Would love Shaw here, but I don't see an issue with targeting a more experienced player so long as it's value for money, and I can't say this would be one. The board has done so well with bringing in players like Azpi, Cahill and even Kevin De Bruyne, Courtois etc for all under 10 million. It would be a shame to take a step backwards now by blowing......20m(?) on a player who essentially can only give you 3 seasons.

A short term signing isn't necessarily a bad thing, if that's what Jose wants. But a short term signing for that kind of money?

But you could argue that because of such deals we have the necessary financial strength to make such marquee signings. If for ever Shaw deal we end up buying players of the caliber of Azpi, Courtois & Cahill then we're doing very well.. We're flexing our financial muscles when absolutely necessary without making it a precedent for other such deals. Thing with Shaw is just we're unlucky that a. he's got this new contract where £30m is the buy-out and b. we didn't scout him before his rise up the Southampton ranks.

Courtois has the potential to be the most expensive GK in the world right now if we sold him but because he was scouted early on, before the world saw his class, we got a cut-price deal for him. Azpilicueta was 3rd choice RB at Marseilles when he grabbed him and now we could get around £20m. So if we end up paying £30m for Shaw because we didn't get him earlier on it doesn't really matter because he becomes an anomaly around our cheaper acquisitions.

We don't want to end up like Arsenal where we'll only break the bank once every 10 years because we're too stubborn to strengthen when it's not too late.

Chelsea to offer £4m for Southampton prodigy Luke Shaw

Chelsea are poised to offer £4m for Southhampton's Luke Shaw. The young left-back, who turns 17 on 12 July, has made only one first-team appearance for the newly promoted Premier League side – as a substitute in an FA Cup fourth-round replay against Millwall last season – but is regarded as an extremely bright prospect.

A graduate of the Southampton academy which has recently produced Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw has been monitored closely by Arsenal and Manchester City as well as Chelsea but his future now looks most likely to be at Stamford Bridge.

Shaw was born in Kingston upon Thames but joined Southampton's academy at the age of eight. Described as "technically very gifted" by Sir Trevor Brooking, he has played for the England Under-16 and Under-17 sides. Nigel Adkins, Southampton's manager, has previously pledged to do everything in his power to keep Shaw but may find the overtures of Roberto Di Matteo difficult to resist.

Ashley Cole has been the No1 left-back at Stamford Bridge since joining from Arsenal in 2006 with the 22-year-old Ryan Bertrand as back-up.

WOW WE COULD HAVE BOUGHT LUKE SHAW FOR 4M in 2012 :o

But you could argue that because of such deals we have the necessary financial strength to make such marquee signings. If for ever Shaw deal we end up buying players of the caliber of Azpi, Courtois & Cahill then we're doing very well.. We're flexing our financial muscles when absolutely necessary without making it a precedent for other such deals. Thing with Shaw is just we're unlucky that a. he's got this new contract where £30m is the buy-out and b. we didn't scout him before his rise up the Southampton ranks.

Courtois has the potential to be the most expensive GK in the world right now if we sold him but because he was scouted early on, before the world saw his class, we got a cut-price deal for him. Azpilicueta was 3rd choice RB at Marseilles when he grabbed him and now we could get around £20m. So if we end up paying £30m for Shaw because we didn't get him earlier on it doesn't really matter because he becomes an anomaly around our cheaper acquisitions.

We don't want to end up like Arsenal where we'll only break the bank once every 10 years because we're too stubborn to strengthen when it's not too late.

Yeah I see what you mean, but I also understand the points that those who are against the Shaw signing are making. If you're going to pay 30M for a fullback then it can't just be for his potential. Spending that kind of money on an 18 yr old is more justifiable if that player, in addition to having immense potential, can also come in and play a key role for us. When we paid that sum for Hazard two seasons ago, he was the best player in Ligue 1 for the 2nd consecutive season, so there were enough signs that this was a player who could come here and immediately play an instrumental role for us, which he did alongside Mata.

We all know that Shaw has great potential but aside from that, can he come here and be a pivotal player for a title challenging side? That’s what you would expect from a 30M signing. Clearly the board, and Jose aren't convinced that he could. Like I said, I would love Shaw here, and if it were left to me I would certainly bring him. But the board I’m sure have weighed the risks and benefits of signing him, and you can hardly blame them for refusing to cough up that amount if they don’t feel it would be money well spent.

As for your point that we don't want to end of like Arsenal......of course. I’m so with you on that! But we spent 30M on Willian, 20M plus on Matic. We also spent good money bringing in Hazard and Oscar. So clearly the club has no qualms with breaking the bank for players that they believe can contribute now, while also having the potential to increase in value.

Yeah I see what you mean, but I also understand the points that those who are against the Shaw signing are making. If you're going to pay 30M for a fullback then it can't just be for his potential. Spending that kind of money on an 18 yr old is more justifiable if that player, in addition to having immense potential, can also come in and play a key role for us. When we paid that sum for Hazard two seasons ago, he was the best player in Ligue 1 for the 2nd consecutive season, so there were enough signs that this was a player who could come here and immediately play an instrumental role for us, which he did alongside Mata.

We all know that Shaw has great potential but aside from that, can he come here and be a pivotal player for a title challenging side? That’s what you would expect from a 30M signing. Clearly the board, and Jose aren't convinced that he could. Like I said, I would love Shaw here, and if it were left to me I would certainly bring him. But the board I’m sure have weighed the risks and benefits of signing him, and you can hardly blame them for refusing to cough up that amount if they don’t feel it would be money well spent.

As for your point that we don't want to end of like Arsenal......of course. I’m so with you on that! But we spent 30M on Willian, 20M plus on Matic. We also spent good money bringing in Hazard and Oscar. So clearly the club has no qualms with breaking the bank for players that they believe can contribute now, while also having the potential to increase in value.

But is it 'potential'? Potential is when you should you're talent in a few games here and there, sporadically making appearances here and there. Shaw has been consistent in the Premier League for the last 2 years, he's handled his own against the giants in Man City, United, Liverpool and us.. He's been one of Southampton's most consistent players and if he's keeping Cole out of the England squad then he's clearly doing something well. I don't think they're paying for potential, because Shaw can easily walk into the Chelsea team and be reliable enough to play 38 games in his first season in the league.

I disregard his age completely if I'm honest. You look at Varane, he's 19 years old but Carlo/Mourinho didn't care. He played in finals against Barcelona and AtM. Shaw's unlucky because Southampton aren't in Europe so he couldn't showcase his talents there but that doesn't mean he's not capable. If he's capable in the PL there's no reason to doubt him. He's very level headed for an 18-year old, visibly strong and doesn't shy away from the big occasions. Do we really want to look on the sidelines if he makes an instant impact for United? Can we afford to go for short-term alternatives like Luis and have a LB problem in 2-3 years while Shaw goes on to be a world-beater?

Shaw is already a top 3 LB in the PL IMO.

He's definitely more than ready to come in play a key role. When people speak about his potential it doesn't mean he isn't ready to start contributing already. Kid is already a very good player and doesn't really lack much in his game. For a LB he's very complete.

If we're going to spend £20m on Luis I would definitely rather pay the extra money to get Shaw in.

Jose needs to weigh up his options here-

20m for Felipe Luis or 20m for RR or 30m for Shaw.

Since we probably are looking for a 2nd choice LB to sit as cover for Azpi, RR is definitely the right choice.

On the other hand, if Jose is planning to sign his first choice LB, then 30m for Shaw is the better choice.

20m for Luis for, what, 2-3 years in the left back slot is poor using of the club's finances.

Jose needs to weigh up his options here-

20m for Felipe Luis or 20m for RR or 30m for Shaw.

Since we probably are looking for a 2nd choice LB to sit as cover for Azpi, RR is definitely the right choice.

On the other hand, if Jose is planning to sign his first choice LB, then 30m for Shaw is the better choice.

20m for Luis for, what, 2-3 years in the left back slot is poor using of the club's finances.

Has to do with what Mourinho wants.

Instant gratification.

Or build for long term?

He has stated many times that he is here for the long term and building a team for the future.

Logic would say Shaw.

But as you know, Mourinho is a big time liar.

We take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Has to do with what Mourinho wants.

Instant gratification.

Or build for long term?

He has stated many times that he is here for the long term and building a team for the future.

Logic would say Shaw.

But as you know, Mourinho is a big time liar.

We take everything he says with a grain of salt.

RR could check both fields- instant gratification and also one for the future.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You