Luke Shaw

Joker10

Van Aanholt has looked ok in a weaker league, yet he can also be dodgy defensively. Nice player but even when we're playing against teams who sit deep we need players who can defend. That's the reality of the Premier League.

Rodriguez isn't miles ahead. He's got better stats going forward but let's not pretend that he isn't as big a risk as Shaw is, especially as he's not immune from the odd lapse in concentration himself. Defensively there are big questions about how he'd handle this league in my opinion and he's hardly going to be cheap. He's still a young player who needs developing and testing in a stronger league.

Well only time will tell I don't want to go back and forth about something that is impossible to prove. I feel Patrick deserves a chance he's matured into a decent attacking LB and with the help of Jose and staff could very well become a fantastic LB. The Bertrand comparisons are moot, he had Ashley Cole to fight with and was never given a chance to grow.

Again we've been down this road before and it just ends in agree to disagree, I DO feel Ricardo is MILES ahead of Luke Shaw, I don't even know one thing Luke Shaw does better than him. I also don't know one thing Luke Shaw does at an elite level. He is good English talent that can be hard to gauge on, he may be the heir apparent to Baines or he may be another Bertrand... Bottom line is if I'm putting down the sort of money that's being bandied about for Luke Shaw, I'd DEF be looking at Ricardo Rodriguez first. Nothing against Shaw, he seems decent just not what I envision as soon to be world class.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

van Aanholt and Bertrand will both be gone IMO.

edit: and the talk of us having to sell before buying is only coming from the media mainly. Of course we are going to make out we aren't full of cash this year as it goes against you in negotiations. But we all know Roman will give Jose a fair bit of clout to get us challenging from day 1

Well only time will tell I don't want to go back and forth about something that is impossible to prove. I feel Patrick deserves a chance he's matured into a decent attacking LB and with the help of Jose and staff could very well become a fantastic LB. The Bertrand comparisons are moot, he had Ashley Cole to fight with and was never given a chance to grow.

227 games. That's how many matches Bertrand's featured in and he's never really done anything exceptional. Even at Villa he's looked meh.

Van Aanholt looks good going forward against weaker teams who leave spaces because they lack a lot of tactical rigidity. He could surprise everyone and be a good option for us but personally I think he'd get bullied way too easily and found out defensively.

Again we've been down this road before and it just ends in agree to disagree, I DO feel Ricardo is MILES ahead of Luke Shaw, I don't even know one thing Luke Shaw does better than him. I also don't know one thing Luke Shaw does at an elite level. He is good English talent that can be hard to gauge on, he may be the heir apparent to Baines or he may be another Bertrand... Bottom line is if I'm putting down the sort of money that's being bandied about for Luke Shaw, I'd DEF be looking at Ricardo Rodriguez first. Nothing against Shaw, he seems decent just not what I envision as soon to be world class.

The simple fact is that no-one really gave a stuff about Rodriguez at 18. It's an incredible achievement in itself that Shaw is where he is, two months shy of his 19th birthday. He's composed, technically very good for his age but he also has a maturity on the pitch which is mightily impressive. That to me is what is most impressive about watching him week-in and week-out.

Rodriguez is a great attacking full-back but for the amount of money being bandied about for him, there are serious concerns over his ability to stay focused for 90 minutes.

Van Aanholt has looked ok in a weaker league, yet he can also be dodgy defensively. Nice player but even when we're playing against teams who sit deep we need players who can defend. That's the reality of the Premier League.

Rodriguez isn't miles ahead. He's got better stats going forward but let's not pretend that he isn't as big a risk as Shaw is, especially as he's not immune from the odd lapse in concentration himself. Defensively there are big questions about how he'd handle this league in my opinion and he's hardly going to be cheap. He's still a young player who needs developing and testing in a stronger league.

Rodriguez is miles ahead. Have you seen him? Dude is really good, and would compliment Hazard better. He starts in the bundesliga which is a top team, he's proven. We should get him, he'd be significantly cheaper than Shaw. No debate.

Rodriguez is miles ahead. Have you seen him? Dude is really good, and would compliment Hazard better. He starts in the bundesliga which is a top team, he's proven. We should get him, he'd be significantly cheaper than Shaw. No debate.

When people think of Rodriguez, I'm sure they're just imagining him making overlapping runs for Hazard. That's all well and good but the defining image of Ashley Cole for me is him stifling Ronaldo at Old Trafford. What I like about Shaw is that he seems more than capable of doing both.

Although if he does join United I retain the right to renounce all comments about him, referring to him only as a gloryhunting cunt and will immediately be moving the hype train to the tracks marked 'JAY DASILVA COUNTRY'.

On that note, Jay Dasilva is only two and a bit years younger than Shaw. Sign Luis, blood Dasilva and then let him take Shaw's spot in the England squad. :whistling::whistling:

227 games. That's how many matches Bertrand's featured in and he's never really done anything exceptional. Even at Villa he's looked meh.

Van Aanholt looks good going forward against weaker teams who leave spaces because they lack a lot of tactical rigidity. He could surprise everyone and be a good option for us but personally I think he'd get bullied way too easily and found out defensively.

The simple fact is that no-one really gave a stuff about Rodriguez at 18. It's an incredible achievement in itself that Shaw is where he is, two months shy of his 19th birthday. He's composed, technically very good for his age but he also has a maturity on the pitch which is mightily impressive. That to me is what is most impressive about watching him week-in and week-out.

Rodriguez is a great attacking full-back but for the amount of money being bandied about for him, there are serious concerns over his ability to stay focused for 90 minutes.

Being behind Ashley Cole may have stunted his growth is all. You could be right though, maybe he's just not good enough... I always valued Van Aanholt over Ryan anyway.

Yes the weaker teams argument... So we should refrain from buying anyone who played in a weaker league than the strongest league in the world... Listen man I'm not all too concerned about where someone applied their trade previously, I watch them for what types of qualities they bring to the pitch. Patrick, if brought back will be playing against "stronger teams" but will be aided with stronger teammates too. I think he's actually physically ready to at least challenge for a spot here, I'm not calling him our starting LB but an option off the bench.(Club Trained)

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason Shaw is so hyped has something to do with the league he's in and the academy he's out of? I don't give two shits about whether or not I've heard of Rodriguez at 18, to be honest with you I don't follow the swiss league at all so it would be hard to tell you who the next up and comer is in that league. Also, it matters not when you've heard of said player, what's important is how he looks now! And in every category measurable, Rodriguez is miles ahead of Shaw. The only thing that sort of tips the scales back a bit is Shaw is a Chelsea fan and in homegrown, from a footballing standpoint you can't tell me Shaw is on his level. He does look like he is more composed and maybe more focussed but lets not forget Rodriguez is still young too in football and that sort of composure/focus usually comes at an older age. Shaw has that now but his skills don't measure up.

van Aanholt has spent so much time everywhere and he still hasn't learned how to defend. A guy like him has absolutely no chance in a Mourinho system unless Mou is able to do to him what he did to Marcelo. The thing is Marcelo was already much a better player at the time than Aanholt is now (although I don't know their ages, but Marcelo was hardly much older - if at all - than van Aanholt.

I'm not giving up on hope yet on Shaw, although I do agree, it's a risk. How many English players we've seen looking promising and then just fade away? We've had our share of those, and tbh it's not even about English players, it could be about anywhere. In Brazil we see those guys fading away playing here or in Europe, every year. It's always a risk with youngsters, but let's hope we end up signing the good ones.

When people think of Rodriguez, I'm sure they're just imagining him making overlapping runs for Hazard. That's all well and good but the defining image of Ashley Cole for me is him stifling Ronaldo at Old Trafford. What I like about Shaw is that he seems more than capable of doing both.

Although if he does join United I retain the right to renounce all comments about him, referring to him only as a gloryhunting cunt and will immediately be moving the hype train to the tracks marked 'JAY DASILVA COUNTRY'.

On that note, Jay Dasilva is only two and a bit years younger than Shaw. Sign Luis, blood Dasilva and then let him take Shaw's spot in the England squad. :whistling::whistling:

Who said anything about Ashley Cole? the best LB of his generation? Anyways I'm starting to think you've never seen Ricardo play, he is a very good defender right now and also possesses the ability to get forward. Much closer to Ash than Shaw for sure.

And in every category measurable, Rodriguez is miles ahead of Shaw.

He does look like he is more composed and maybe more focussed but lets not forget Rodriguez is still young too in football and that sort of composure/focus usually comes at an older age. Shaw has that now but his skills don't measure up.

And that's my point. Shaw is actually capable of putting in good crosses and looks solid defensively, but it's the composure that he does everything with that sets him apart. That's why I'd have him over Rodriguez even if he costs a bit more. I think Rodriguez would get found out defensively.

Who said anything about Ashley Cole? the best LB of his generation? Anyways I'm starting to think you've never seen Ricardo play, he is a very good defender right now and also possesses the ability to get forward. Much closer to Ash than Shaw for sure.

Cole is the benchmark.

You're more than welcome to think that and I agree he looks fantastic going forward in the Bundesliga. I just have reservations over his ability to replicate it here.

van Aanholt has spent so much time everywhere and he still hasn't learned how to defend. A guy like him has absolutely no chance in a Mourinho system unless Mou is able to do to him what he did to Marcelo. The thing is Marcelo was already much a better player at the time than Aanholt is now (although I don't know their ages, but Marcelo was hardly much older - if at all - than van Aanholt.

I'm not giving up on hope yet on Shaw, although I do agree, it's a risk. How many English players we've seen looking promising and then just fade away? We've had our share of those, and tbh it's not even about English players, it could be about anywhere. In Brazil we see those guys fading away playing here or in Europe, every year. It's always a risk with youngsters, but let's hope we end up signing the good ones.

A guy like him can benefit from having Mourinho teach him. We can all agree Patrick looks fantastic going forward and I will say this, what I saw from Azpilicueta last year left a lot to be desired, this year he looks WAYYYY better! Same can be said for Cahill.

I'm advocating giving Patrick a summer in the World Cup and a training camp with Jose before we look to spend 20-30m on a left back. I mean its not like we struggled in that position this year with Azpi. Let Jose be the one to evaluate him up close, if he fails to impress there will be other targets to acquire

A guy like him can benefit from having Mourinho teach him. We can all agree Patrick looks fantastic going forward and I will say this, what I saw from Azpilicueta last year left a lot to be desired, this year he looks WAYYYY better! Same can be said for Cahill.

This pertains to your comments on Van Aanholt and Rodriguez. Left-backs are first and foremost defenders.

I think Nathan Ake probably has more chance of starting a game at left-back for Chelsea than Van Aanholt does.

I'm advocating giving Patrick a summer in the World Cup and a training camp with Jose before we look to spend 20-30m on a left back. I mean its not like we struggled in that position this year with Azpi. Let Jose be the one to evaluate him up close, if he fails to impress there will be other targets to acquire

Azpilicueta still has a lot of trouble attacking. I'm not saying Patrick doesn't have a spot here, I'm saying it's unlikely, he's Bertrand 2.0 imo and until he proves me otherwise, that's what I'll always think of him. It took us long enough to get rid of Bertrand and I hope we get rid of him completely. It seems like not even the Mourinho effect helped him because Mourinho can develop, not create things - and even then he's not able to develop all players under him. So yeah, not holding my breath at all about Patrick

And that's my point. Shaw is actually capable of putting in good crosses and looks solid defensively, but it's the composure that he does everything with that sets him apart. That's why I'd have him over Rodriguez even if he costs a bit more. I think Rodriguez would get found out defensively.

Cole is the benchmark.

You're more than welcome to think that and I agree he looks fantastic going forward in the Bundesliga. I just have reservations over his ability to replicate it here.

Shaw has not shown much going forward, lets be honest here. Ricardo has shown much more attacking acumen than Shaw even if he's 3 yrs older. I would agree composure is essential in a footballer and that the quality may go down in a faster paced league but even having said that I believe that even if Ricardo's skill of picking a pass and crossing is somewhat downgraded in the EPL vs BL he will still be ahead of Shaw in those areas.

If Cole is your benchmark I feel you're going to be disappointed.

This pertains to your comments on Van Aanholt and Rodriguez. Left-backs are first and foremost defenders.

I think Nathan Ake probably has more chance of starting a game at left-back for Chelsea than Van Aanholt does.

Not in this day and age. Most LB's we see today are basically wingers.

Again only time will tell, not claiming to be a know it all like some here just think from what I've seen it wouldn't be a bad idea to recall him and give him a look.

I'm still surprised Bertrand wasn't able to get a chance under Jose. I never liked him going forward but I always felt he was very good defensively and that would be enough for him under Mourinho.

It's not like our fullbacks get forward anyways so Bertrand wouldn't have hurt.

Not in this day and age. Most LB's we see today are basically wingers.

Again only time will tell, not claiming to be a know it all like some here just think from what I've seen it wouldn't be a bad idea to recall him and give him a look.

First and foremost, especially in a Mourinho system, they're defenders. If you can't stop the guy in front of you then you won't make it at the top level - as Van Aanholt will prove.

The thing is the desperation to get Shaw was based on us not really having anyone coming through. If we can get someone like DaSilva then maybe we can look to develop an Ake or a DaSilva or even Aina.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You