Luke Shaw

Joker10

Azpilicueta still has a lot of trouble attacking. I'm not saying Patrick doesn't have a spot here, I'm saying it's unlikely, he's Bertrand 2.0 imo and until he proves me otherwise, that's what I'll always think of him. It took us long enough to get rid of Bertrand and I hope we get rid of him completely. It seems like not even the Mourinho effect helped him because Mourinho can develop, not create things - and even then he's not able to develop all players under him. So yeah, not holding my breath at all about Patrick

I may have thought that way of him too until I saw him play this year, he's improved quite a bit this year. And this Bertrand hate is so misplaced! HE HAD THE BEST LB IN THE BUSINESS AHEAD OF HIM! I think you guys have been spoiled, Bertrand was serviceable, just not Cole.

And I don't understand why people paint every player with the same brush! Is Van Aanholt and Bertrand the same player??? NO so don't evaluate them the same way. What makes Ryan tick and what makes Patrick tick are completely different! Perhaps Ryan comes back from the world cup and is buoyed by the experience and his career kicks on? Perhaps seeing that he doesn't have the best LB in the world to contend with spurs him on to greater things? Its so silly to assume that because one hasn't made it that another can't.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still surprised Bertrand wasn't able to get a chance under Jose. I never liked him going forward but I always felt he was very good defensively and that would be enough for him under Mourinho.

It's not like our fullbacks get forward anyways so Bertrand wouldn't have hurt.

Personally for me he was average at both, he gets beat far too easily against pacey/skillful players and going forward he doesn't have the skill to beat players, i never really got the hype with him.

Regarding Shaw, my Avi is gone, so maybe i'll stop jinxing it? :)

I'm surprised that the Shaw saga is taking so long for United, even though they placed a high bid for him...

Unless, LVG doesn't want him and wants to bring in a dutch/german.

Bertrand was serviceable,

Easy with the compliments, you'll make him blush. :wub:

And I don't understand why people paint every player with the same brush! Is Van Aanholt and Bertrand the same player???

Good point. Bertrand and Van Aanholt are both unique snowflakes, not good enough for us in their own ways.

First and foremost, especially in a Mourinho system, they're defenders. If you can't stop the guy in front of you then you won't make it at the top level - as Van Aanholt will prove.

The thing is the desperation to get Shaw was based on us not really having anyone coming through. If we can get someone like DaSilva then maybe we can look to develop an Ake or a DaSilva or even Aina.

Marcelo, Coentrao, Arbeloa?

Aina, Ssewankambo, Wallace, Cuevas? Don't we have Jay Dasilva?

Marcelo, Coentrao, Arbeloa?

Aina, Ssewankambo, Wallace, Cuevas? Don't we have Jay Dasilva?

Ivanovic, Ferreira, Azpi, Cole, Del Horno, Gallas.

I actually meant to say if we could get Luis then we'd have time to develop a young-un like Aina, Ake or DaSilva.

I actually meant to say if we could get Luis then we'd have time to develop a young-un like Aina, Ake or DaSilva.

Promote from within. We weren't hurting at LB or RB last year. Promote from within and see if anyone can benefit from having Jose train them. Otherwise get the best young back out there in Rodriguez.

Actually Ash when he came here was known for his ability going forward - not just defending. He isn't just a defend-first fullback, he's very complete.

Folios Luis is way too old as well, think he's turning 30 this year, plus he isn't even a "defend-first" left back, so it's far better that we either go for someone like Ricardo Rodriguez, who's just as good as Filipe Luis going forward, and defensively but has far bigger scope to improve (especially if Shaw isn't attainable at a reasonable price).

I'm surprised that the Shaw saga is taking so long for United, even though they placed a high bid for him...

Unless, LVG doesn't want him and wants to bring in a dutch/german.

Because it's probably already done and dusted and they're just waiting for the right moment to announce it.

are we wanting a starting LB or a back up .. Azpi seemed to do a good job last year in keeping Ash benched . So do we sign someone and bench Dave ??

don't talk rotation because Jose doesn't rotate the back 5

are we wanting a starting LB or a back up .. Azpi seemed to do a good job last year in keeping Ash benched . So do we sign someone and bench Dave ??

don't talk rotation because Jose doesn't rotate the back 5

We could sell Luiz and rotate Iva as the utility player and buy a lb...

To be fair £30 million is far too much, with FFP United can splash the cash while we have to be more cautious...

We're not in and are never going to be in any FFP trouble.

There's still some hope, rumours flying around that LVG wants Evra for another season.

Felipe Luis is already almost 30 and I'm still not convinced Moreno would fit our side. He's one of those tiny Barca type midgets. Not sure he'd take to the Premier League well.

It's Shaw or Rodriguez for me. Either would be awesome signings. Think RR is actually the better player right now, but Shaw is younger (slightly) and English so I'd prefer him.

Yes, Luis is 30 but I think he is the perfect replacement for Cole in an instant. It depends of Mourinho decision, if he need instant replacement for Cole, I think he will go for a player like Luis, but if he also think for long term, we should go for Moreno or Rodriguez. Anyway I have a feeling Moreno or Rodriguez price will be around 20 millions too. They're hot prospect, and the price will be sky high this day. So, add 10 millions for English + homegrown in Shaw is really worth it?

we are talking about a back up LB ,, PVA is a Dutch International and HOMEGROWN ...

Oh sorry, I thought we talked about Cole replacement. Yes, I expect at least one (Bertrand or Van Aanholt) to be with us next season.

To be fair £30 million is far too much, with FFP United can splash the cash while we have to be more cautious...

We are well under the FFP limit, if we really, really wanted to we could afford Shaw, especially with some departures of fringe players.

Pretty much this. The type of commitment to Shaw is a massive hit on the annual finances not just this year, but the next 3 years (the amortised transfer fee would reduce after he signed a new contract around this time) and if his wages start at £100k p/w as an 18 year old then what on Earth will he expect at 22?

If we went for someone like Filipe Luis then we're probably stronger as a team in the short-term. The reason many of us were so keen on Shaw was that LB seemed to be a position we weren't exactly stuffed with in the academy ranks. Now we seem to have a couple of really promising youngsters in Aina and Dasilva who are maybe 2-3 years away from consideration for the first team, whilst Ake has also been deployed at left-back this year.

It puts a £30 million (plus wages) gamble on an 18 year old into context, when we could get the left-back of the Spanish league Champions (and potentially the Champions League winners) for roughly HALF of that.

In a few years time it's gonna get to the stage where we only have an aging Gary Cahill representing this 'english' club. Talents like Shaw don't come around everyday, spanish sides have that luxury.. but not us.

Shame he's off to United, would have been a great investment football-wise for the next 10 years and culturally. Fuck the board.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You