Luke Shaw

Joker10

Two games...

It isn't about "oh no, we need another left back" it's about us having fullbacks that can provide width and options off the ball and fullbacks that can deliver decent crosses in the box.

Decent crosses to who?

That on its own will create more space for the likes of Hazard, Oscar, Willian etc. to exploit instead of it being so congested in the middle all the time. Having two good attacking fullbacks will stretch teams and allows us to create more quality chances.

We have width from our full-backs when they're told to get forward. If you want space for the attackers, get a decent striker who will actually force the defence back like Didier used to.

A good attacking left back so Azpi can play in his natural position is just as important as a midfielder and a striker in my opinion, but that's my opinion. We have to get all three if we want to become a more complete team that can adapt and adjust to different situations.

I agree that it would be nice to get a left-back like Shaw and have Azpi on the right, but it's not like Ivanovic isn't a good full-back. When he has targets to aim for in the box, he actually does pretty well. Plus he gets goals.

Again, are you insinuating that against Palace we created enough and were simply unlucky or weren't clinical enough with our finishing? The amount of quality chances created against Palace was poor. You have to stop pretending like creating good chances against the smaller teams hasn't been our problem this season.

I'm not insinuating that - I'm just saying it. We create good chances despite not having a decent striker yet there's a myth that we find it hard to break down teams. People were even saying that in the first-half against Swansea despite Salah missing two glorious chances on his own.

Again as I said before, we do need a left back, so Azpi can pay in his natural position. You're forgetting that Ivanovic is 30 as well. It's just as good as a long term investment as a striker is.

How am I forgetting he's 30? I know he's 30, just like I know how old Kalas, Wallace, Kane, Omeruo and Aina are.

I just think you focus on the immediate problems first and right now our most immediate problem is the lack of a striker. If we had that, we'd have won the league. Another left-back doesn't change a single result in my opinion, whereas a striker maybe finishes one of the 40 chances we created against West Ham.

Yes that may be just one game and two extra points....but we're two points off the lead so maybe it'd be nice to have them.

Then there's the Everton game where we created 22 chances and managed to miss one open goal and a host of other good chances, none of which were the result of not having a different left-back.

Shaw would be a great signing for the future. But I don't think he makes as big a difference to our chances of winning matches as a striker or two does in the next 2-3 seasons hence why I think our priorities are the way they seem to be.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't sound like Shaw to Utd is a done, done deal. From the quote above it looks like we're still in the race and very much determined to sign him. If anything that's encouraging.......fingers crossed.

The Guardian are reporting the opposite..

At Chelsea, Ashley Cole has been dropped by José Mourinho while his replacement César Azpilicueta is actually a right-back by trade. Shaw is thought to be unconcerned by the Spaniard's status as the Portuguese's first choice.

Luke Shaw set to make decision on his future before the World Cup

I'm not insinuating that - I'm just saying it. We create good chances despite not having a decent striker yet there's a myth that we find it hard to break down teams. People were even saying that in the first-half against Swansea despite Salah missing two glorious chances on his own.

I just think you focus on the immediate problems first and right now our most immediate problem is the lack of a striker. If we had that, we'd have won the league. Another left-back doesn't change a single result in my opinion, whereas a striker maybe finishes one of the 40 chances we created against West Ham.

Chelsea seem to be breaking down most teams in the league. one way or the other but there are games when i can bet my house that the team won't score (unless from setpiece or some freak goal). Everton home,City (Cup), Palace away, West Brom away Basel away PSG away. Nothing to do with the striker imo.

Chelsea seem to be breaking down most teams in the league. one way or the other but there are games when i can bet my house that the team won't score (unless from setpiece or some freak goal). Everton home,City (Cup), Palace away, West Brom away Basel away PSG away. Nothing to do with the striker imo.

Everton - 25 shots

Palace - some really good chances

West Brom - shit performance all round but limited West Brom to one shot on target which came in the 87th minute. If Luiz could man-mark Anichebe then we have 2 points.

Basel - we were shit.

PSG - They had one more shot on target than us, plus we hit the post. Away from home in the first leg that ain't too bad, especially when you consider we should've only lost 2-1 but for a Cech howler.

The fact is that we've gone all season without a good striker who can do all the things a good striker does. A new striker immediately goes into the first team whereas a new left-back probably doesn't. That's what it comes down to for me.

If you're going to spend £25 million+ on a player, does he immediately make the starting XI better? Matic did. Costa does. A midfielder probably does as well.

Does Luke Shaw even start straight away?? I honestly couldn't say. I'd still like him here but he's not an immediate necessity. He's a project who it's very, very nice to have.

Everton - 25 shots

West Brom - shit performance all round but limited West Brom to one shot on target which came in the 87th minute. If Luiz could man-mark Anichebe then we have 2 points.

Basel - we were shit.

PSG - They had one more shot on target than us, plus we hit the post. Away from home in the first leg that ain't too bad, especially when you consider we should've only lost 2-1 but for a Cech howler.

The fact is that we've gone all season without a good striker who can do all the things a good striker does. A new striker immediately goes into the first team whereas a new left-back probably doesn't. That's what it comes down to for me.

If you're going to spend £25 million+ on a player, does he immediately make the starting XI better? Matic did. Costa does. A midfielder probably does as well.

Does Luke Shaw even start straight away?? I honestly couldn't say. I'd still like him here but he's not an immediate necessity. He's a project who it's very, very nice to have.

Everton - 25 shots

Basel - we were shit.

shit happens. that is not the only time either. even palace away when the team managed to create only 1 chance (azpilicueta cut back) before terry own goal.

as far as Luke shaw is concerned, it's a lot of money for a left back no doubt but i don't know i have a soft spot for him seeing his tweet during the PSG game.

It's 30m becuase he is English. You can go buy a cheaper foreign player but then you'll have to play a crappier English player somewhere else. English players with a drop of talent will be overpriced, its how things are going to be. If you can fill a homegrown spot with a player you actually consider playing its much better than leaving all your homegrowns on the bench.

Luke is not important to buy at this point for Chelsea. His price is too high, Jose needs to solve other positions.

Its very important actually..

Us not having attacking full-backs is a massive flaw IMO.

Honestly I don't think we should buy Shaw. I'd just keep Azpilicueta there and have van Aanholt as backup.

It is quite a problem that he cant attack well.

Shaw at LB and Azpi RB should be fine.

For the big games you can play Azpi LB and Ivan RB.

For the "small games" its absolutely crucial to have attacking full-backs.

I don't know why Mourinho doesn't slot Ivanovic at left back...he can be the defensive rock he is and act as the third centre back while Azpi acts as the proper full-back on the right.

I don't know why Mourinho doesn't slot Ivanovic at left back...he can be the defensive rock he is and act as the third centre back while Azpi acts as the proper full-back on the right.

Yup. The only thing I can't understand with Mourinho is Ivanovic playing right back all the time. However, we have had a great amount of clean sheets during this season so I can't complain too much.

What I am afraid to see is that if Shaw comes here, where does that leave Azpi? He is obviously way too good to be second choice but I'm not sure Mourinho will drop Branislav.

Yup. The only thing I can't understand with Mourinho is Ivanovic playing right back all the time. However, we have had a great amount of clean sheets during this season so I can't complain too much.

What I am afraid to see is that if Shaw comes here, where does that leave Azpi? He is obviously way too good to be second choice but I'm not sure Mourinho will drop Branislav.

Mourinho likes defensive solidity. I bet if Mourinho could get Chiellini, he would. That would technically be four CB's.

Azpilicueta and attacking full-back in the same sentence does not sound right.

There's a rule in football - when a full-back goes to support the attacking players, the other one stays at the back. I think Azpilicueta will always be the one that stays at the back. At least as long as Mourinho is at Chelsea.

LB or RB, Azpilicueta will always be the defensive minded full-back at Chelsea.

But I support your opinion. For Hazard to fulfill his potential, he needs a proper full-back to help him. And Jose should search the market for a LB in the summer. And he will, I'm sure. Right now, Hazard helps Azpilicueta at the back, but he is getting nothing in return. I'm not having a go at Azpilicueta, don't get me wrong, far from me that thought. I simply love the guy, Jose is so privileged to have such a player at his dispossal, but at the same time I think we are only seeing half of the beast Hazard really is.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You