Guardiola to leave Barcelona

LDN Blue

Sky Sports sources understand that Pep Guardiola has told Barcelona he will leave the club at the end of the season.

The Barcelona boss has guided the Catalan giants to two UEFA Champions League titles in his four seasons with the club as well as a host of other trophies.

But the former Barca star's future has been a source of constant of speculation for months and the 41-year-old is understood to have finally confirmed he intends to bring his time at the club to an end.

A joint press conference will be held by Guardiola and Barcelona president Sandro Rosell on Friday morning at 11am.

The decision follows Barcelona's sensational exit from the Champions League at the hands of Chelsea in Tuesday's semi-final.

Sky Sports' Spanish football expert Guillem Balague believes Guardiola could be planning to try his luck as a manager in the Premier League before long.

Balague told Sky Sports: "He has the urge to coach in another place. He wants to come to the Premier League.

"He couldn't make it here as a player. He was close to joining Wigan at one point I believe. Manchester United wanted him at some point, Liverpool and Spurs, but it didn't happen.

"And as a manager he wants to prove himself in the Premier League."

Guardiola's potential arrival in England would raise the possibility of some of Barcelona's famous players linking up with him in the Premier League.

And while Balague does not rule out the prospect, he believes a fresh voice may be what his current players need.

Asked about the chance of Barca's superstars coming to England, Balague said: "It's a good point because they are very close to him; they've grown to be better players with him.

"But at the same time, four years with the same manager, seeing the same face, you wonder if that is one of the reasons Guardiola, if he decides to leave, will leave."

And Balague notes there has already been speculation as to who will replace Guardiola as Barcelona manager next season.

"We have got four names that have been mentioned," he added. "Four names that are very much liked by president Sandro Rosell and the director of football Andoni Zubizarreta."

The four managers that have been earmarked are believed to include Athletic Bilbao's maverick Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa and ex-Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas.

The two names making up the list of candidates are both former Barcelona players - France boss Laurent Blanc and Ernesto Valverde, who quit as Olympiakos manager last week.

The options are believed to have already been lined up as a contingency plan should Guardiola decide upon a sabbatical.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/7707249/Guardiola-to-quit-Barcelona

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barcelona is harder to manage than it looks, plus the expectation is huge. Guardiola is under a lot of pressure almost every game and with those losses he has had enough.

I think there's more to it backstage, not a fall out or anything, he must just have his hands full constantly 24/7, and that's what has killed him off. If he really thinks not carrying on with the best team in the world and winning all those other achievements, then it must be something really bothering him. Either it's the players, board the work load i don't know, but must of been big to get Pep to leave.

I honestly can't see him succeeding like he did at Barca anywhere else. He had 2 of the best players to ever grace a football pitch (Messi and Xavi IMO) (oh and Thiago while I'm at it ;) ) which he will not have anywhere else. They are 100% Barca and won't leave. However, the success that they got put massive confidence into the minds of most of the other players which has given them an almost fearless attitude. They believed that they were the best which is why they were the best. This year though I think that Guardiola has struggled to motivate himself and consequently the players as well. They have not performed as well. Iniesta and Pique are notable examples.

Pep is not the sort of person that can build a footballing empire from my point of view because he has struggled to motivate himself after a few years of incredible success which I guess could be natural- what is the point in trying if you have already won it last year? If he can get some special players at his next club he can motivate himself and the others and be successful but i don't see him being as successful ever again. He is 100% Barca. Apart from at Barca he has made only 56 appearances for other teams and with Barca's passing philosophy he has never been truly exposed to other styles of play.