The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Spurs had an even worse window than us yet are smashing the champions of Europe not long after doing likewise to Dortmund and Liverpool. Conte has acted like a schoolchild over the summer window, maybe if he just got on with it like Pochettino did we might have some more points, home and abroad.

Did they? They already had arguably the best Xai in the league last season and only lost Walker. They've not missed him even a little bit. Added Llorente and Sanchez who looks great.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Spurs had an even worse window than us yet are smashing the champions of Europe not long after doing likewise to Dortmund and Liverpool. Conte has acted like a schoolchild over the summer window, maybe if he just got on with it like Pochettino did we might have some more points, home and abroad.

Lol. Spurs had worse window than us ??

They had better squad than us last season. They replaced their backup rb with aurier. Upgrade their backup stiker and add davidson to their cb rank. Their only need for sometime now is to find a hazard type player but that will be difficult for them other than that they have very little weaknesses.

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Did they? They already had arguably the best Xai in the league last season and only lost Walker. They've not missed him even a little bit. Added Llorente and Sanchez who looks great.

2 minutes ago, communicate said:

They had better squad than us last season. They replaced their backup rb with aurier. Upgrade their backup stiker and add davidson to their cb rank. Their only need for sometime now is to find a hazard type player but that will be difficult for them other than that they have very little weaknesses.

Put it this way when Pochettino was thinking transfer plans, i highly doubt he had in mind he was going to sign no one till late August and i bet Llorente Aurier and Sanchez were very far away from plan A. He has also had the likes of Ji, N Kodou (whatever his name is) and Sissoko dumped on him in previous summers, Conte would start world war 3 if we did that to him.

2 minutes ago, communicate said:

Should have won the league last season then with their superior squad. This is the same Spurs who looked toothless vs Utd last weekend? I think the lack of pressure (which cannot be overstated enough) to win anything is a huge advantage for them over us, City and Utd, heck even add Arsenal to that somewhat. The coach knows he can bring in young players or not win the league and it not be a problem, but for us if we fail 2 seasons in a row to not win the league, the manager gets the boot most likely. They have some quality players, but I think they also get overrated a lot too. 

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The difference is that Pochetino works with youth. 

He helps push them through. 

Nothing like that with Conte. I said it last year, just like Mourinho managers that can't be bother with youth. 

Pochetino worked with them and is getting his reward. 

21 minutes ago, Tomo said:

You know things are bad when Tomo is bashing the manager. :o

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

Nothing like that with Conte. I said it last year, just like Mourinho managers that can't be bother with youth. 

This.

3 minutes ago, It's too big said:

Should have won the league last season then with their superior squad. This is the same Spurs who looked toothless vs Utd last weekend? I think the lack of pressure (which cannot be overstated enough) to win anything is a huge advantage for them over us, City and Utd, heck even add Arsenal to that somewhat. The coach knows he can bring in young players or not win the league and it not be a problem, but for us if we fail 2 seasons in a row to not win the league, the manager gets the boot most likely. They have some quality players, but I think they also get overrated a lot too. 

1 minute ago, It's too big said:

Yes they should have won the league for the past 2 years. We won it last year simply because of 343. Our squad is a tier below spurs and that is a fact.

Pocchetino played son and alli up top against United which was a mistake. Alli need a targetman like kane or llorente to partner with. Plus Mou did what he did best, nullify other team.

I agree with you that poch does not have the pressure to win every year hence he can build his squad and play young player

7 minutes ago, It's too big said:

And it something Jose said about in the past when everyone was raving about Arsenal in the carling cup.

How he'd like to play more youth and develop them but at the same time the pressure is there to get results an so nope. Though seeing how we're heading at the moment not exactly winning with the players we have..be nice if did just take a risk...prob gana get sacked either way. 

5 minutes ago, Fernando said:

How many throphy has Poch won with spurs in 4 years ?

I cannot imagine a chelsea manager keeping his job doing the same thing in just 2 years.

3 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

And it something Jose said about in the past when everyone was raving about Arsenal in the carling cup.

How he'd like to play more youth and develop them but at the same time the pressure is there to get results an so nope. Though seeing how we're heading at the moment not exactly winning with the players we have..be nice if did just take a risk...prob gana get sacked either way. 

I disagree a bit on carling cup. Because you should play kids in carling but in general it is true. With team like us,united and city. If you don't win any throphy within 2 years, you are gone.

1 minute ago, communicate said:

I cannot imagine a chelsea manager keeping his job doing the same thing in just 2 years.

We're lucky if a manager last more then 2 years in general. 

Aww only English team so far to lose..Oh well 

Conte is every bit the manager that Poch is but the big difference is that his players will run through a brick wall for Poch and they are relentlessly positive and attacking. Same with City. Wave after wave of relentless attack.

Part of our problem is that we have about 5-6 slightly above average players in our XI and the other part of the problem is that they're soft. Their heads go down and they wilt when things get tough. We had ideal conditions to succeed last year with only the PL to focus on and the same XI that could play well rested each match. We're seeing the real level of our team this season as a result of inadequate buying and retaining of players last summer.

If we'd have kept Matic, bought a quality upgrade on Alonso, and another single attacking player of quality we'd look like a different team. 

1 minute ago, communicate said:

I reckon they might if they shown a similar trajectory and performance level. Roman's "itchy trigger finger" is wildly exaggerated.

Just now, Pizy said:

Conte is every bit the manager that Poch is but the big difference is that his players will run through a brick wall for Poch and they are relentlessly positive and attacking. Same with City. Wave after wave of relentless attack.

Part of our problem is that we have about 5-6 slightly above average players in our XI and the other part of the problem is that they're soft. Their heads go down and they wilt when things get tough. We had ideal conditions to succeed last year with only the PL to focus on and the same XI that could play well rested each match. We're seeing the real level of our team this season as a result of inadequate buying and retaining of players last summer.

Conte is better and also as shown with Italy can get a tune out of flawed squad's, which makes his behavior over the window all the more annoying.I would actually say Spurs are similar to us circa 04-10, frighteningly effective but i don't see this sexy football people go on about.

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

we'd have kept Matic, bought a quality upgrade on Alonso, and another single attacking player of quality we'd look like a different team. 

I agree with the latter two but i believe Drinkwater is a better fit than Matic in our system.

Just now, Tomo said:

I reckon they might if they shown a similar trajectory and performance level. Roman's "itchy trigger finger" is wildly exaggerated.

You like to make assumptions dont you. The reality is Roman looks at CVs of managers and brings trophy winners because he wants trophies. Thats why we wont see a manager planning for long term here or playing youth.