The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

I reckon they might if they shown a similar trajectory and performance level. Roman's "itchy trigger finger" is wildly exaggerated.

Then it is time for the board to show it because so far their record show otherwise.

I don't know whether Conte is the perfect guy for this team but from what he achived last season he need to be given time to build this squad.

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If we'd have kept Matic, bought a quality upgrade on Alonso, and another single attacking player of quality we'd look like a different team. 

I have said it in the summer, what we need is one or even better 2 quality wb and one cb to replace terry, then our team should be pretty strong this season. 

2 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

You like to make assumptions dont you. The reality is Roman looks at CVs of managers and brings trophy winners because he wants trophies. Thats why we wont see a manager planning for long term here or playing youth. 

And it's no more an assumption that he would still sack a manager even if we finished 2nd with 88 points and played well over the season? Look how much time AVB got despite dire performances and results, you think he would instantly chop a manager if signs are good despite inconsistent results?

Just now, communicate said:

Then it is time for the board to show it because so far their record show otherwise.

Apart from Ranieri, none of the sacking's happened with the squad in a good moment, each time we were in freefall with no light at the end of the tunnel. If anything it speak's badly for our judgement appointing manager's but all sacking's so far have proven to be 100% correct.

Premier league clubs finally doing something in UCL. Hope they all go to the semi-finals and get knocked out. Couldn't stand Man City winning it, cause if they do they will get a lot closer to us in big trophies number.

Just now, Tomo said:

And it's no more an assumption that he would still sack a manager even if we finished 2nd with 88 points and played well over the season? Look how much time AVB got despite dire performances and results, you think he would instantly chop a manager if signs are good despite inconsistent results?

Poch finished fifth in his first season. Enough reason for Roman to sack him and bring in a manager with trophies in his Cv.

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Apart from Ranieri, none of the sacking's happened with the squad in a good moment, each time we were in freefall with no light at the end of the tunnel. If anything it speak's badly for our judgement appointing manager's but all sacking's so far have proven to be 100% correct.

It is not about after sacking that the team performance is getting better. It is about letting the manager know since the beginning that it is ok for you not to win anything as long as we play good football and you incorporate young player. Then hire a manager based on that. 

12 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Also it is not just Pochettino. You also assume that we will replace Conte easily because we got Conte after Mourinho. Thats a weird assumption. Every manager knows now that we do not back Pl winning managers in the transfer window after winning the league.

It wont be easy after Conte.

It's pretty astounding to think that just a few short months ago we finished 13 points ahead of City and felt on top of the world. Now in the blink of an eye they've become arguably the best side in Europe and our season is on the brink of crisis depending on this weekends result.

They've catapulted so far beyond us it's mad. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if by the time the January window rolls around that they're 10 points clear AND will add more top class quality to their team like Sanchez. 

The massive gulf in ambition between our clubs is staggering. One club wants to take over the football world and build a juggernaut whilst we were again complacent and content with what we had. The benefit of being bankrolled by a country with unlimited money as opposed to an individual I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Pizy said:

It's pretty astounding to think that just a few short months ago we finished 13 points ahead of City and felt on top of the world. Now in the blink of an eye they've become arguably the best side in Europe and our season is on the brink of crisis depending on this weekends result.

They've catapulted so far beyond us it's mad. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if by the time the January window rolls around that they're 10 points clear AND will add more top class quality to their team like Sanchez. 

The massive gulf in ambition between our clubs is staggering. One club wants to take over the football world and build a juggernaut whilst we were again complacent and content with what we had. The benefit of being bankrolled by a country with unlimited money as opposed to an individual I suppose.

The benefit of a team willing to follow their manager, invest without hesitation and compete with teams to sign the best players.*****

Napoli are an amazing team, play with such style and press high and City bar a wobble at first comfortably beat them once they got properly going. City this summer went for fullbacks and a GK that suited, as they desperately needed them, got them and already had the main bulk of their MF and FW line. They were good last season at points but two new full backs of high quality (never thought I’d say that about Kyle Walker) and a very good, assured, commanding GK and they are a different team. Like we could of been with Alex Sandro, Oxlade Chamberlain and Marco Verratti... well I’d imagine we wouldn’t get him but hey no harm trying 😂

To give Spurs credit they done excellently tonight too. The differences between ourselves, City and Spurs in the upstairs of the club so to speak is all different but they are showing that it can be done a different way as we’ve done in the past. There is no one way to run a club but these guys are reaping the rewards of different approaches.

30 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

The benefit of a team willing to follow their manager, invest without hesitation and compete with teams to sign the best players.*****

Napoli are an amazing team, play with such style and press high and City bar a wobble at first comfortably beat them once they got properly going. City this summer went for fullbacks and a GK that suited, as they desperately needed them, got them and already had the main bulk of their MF and FW line. They were good last season at points but two new full backs of high quality (never thought I’d say that about Kyle Walker) and a very good, assured, commanding GK and they are a different team. Like we could of been with Alex Sandro, Oxlade Chamberlain and Marco Verratti... well I’d imagine we wouldn’t get him but hey no harm trying 😂

To give Spurs credit they done excellently tonight too. The differences between ourselves, City and Spurs in the upstairs of the club so to speak is all different but they are showing that it can be done a different way as we’ve done in the past. There is no one way to run a club but these guys are reaping the rewards of different approaches.

Napoli lost Ghoulam and it could be different if he wasnt injured. 

But credit where due City was amazing. So were spurs. 

I hope Napoli goes through, they are brilliant side, certainly one of best to watch this year and it would be little disaster not to see best napoli in knockout stages. Feyenord and shakhtar are certainly beatable and if they do their best, they will beat both. City should beat shakhtar aswell.

But funny tho, I ALWAYS wanted english football to rise again, to conquer the european throne and end spanish domination. City, Spurs are becoming formidable sides. United will too sooner or later. But Chelsea...we were the only english team not to be ridiculed for years, but now that english football is once again making serious impression in europe, we are falling behind. 

Yes we won two PL titles in past 3 years, but we looked average in europe since that semifinal with atletico, while City, United and even Spurs have improved massively. 

We are slowly becoming on level with Liverpool and Arsenal mentality on too many levels. 

Fuck, the board and players better wake up. 

2 hours ago, It's too big said:

Should have won the league last season then with their superior squad. This is the same Spurs who looked toothless vs Utd last weekend? I think the lack of pressure (which cannot be overstated enough) to win anything is a huge advantage for them over us, City and Utd, heck even add Arsenal to that somewhat. The coach knows he can bring in young players or not win the league and it not be a problem, but for us if we fail 2 seasons in a row to not win the league, the manager gets the boot most likely. They have some quality players, but I think they also get overrated a lot too. 

Tbh people blasted them when they were losing to second tier teams last year, I think they deserve credit this year. 

Real and Bvb are no small teams and they did great against them. Meanwhile we got blasted by Roma. 

I hate spurs but they are doing great job. They have balanced squad, they have stability in board. They got destroyed under pressure many times in title race and european games, but if they stick together with Kane and Alli, they will be top top side sooner or later. 

At the very end, they played great game against Real. We would close down and Real would be all over us for 90min. 

Thats the reality atm. We might be winning game here or there with great tactics or players having their day, but to expect them to put top game 90% of time against quality sides, thats a fantasy now. Players have proven they are average in pressing, dealing with high press, passing, tempo, controling,...basics. One quality game or even one season doesnt change the fact we then look like second tier team next game or season. Zero improvement. Just step forward, step back, rinse and repeat...

Our team atm still didnt peak, so there is some reserve, but honestly we are backtracking big time when others are making huge improvement. 

Results wise, we might still be competitve, but play wise, not even close. Even the likes of Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Valencia, Monaco are slowly but steadily coming ahead of us. And in long term, they will get results too. We have results for now and for alot of time very shitty performances. If the results are gone, our level is Arsenal and Pool.

10 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Napoli lost Ghoulam and it could be different if he wasnt injured. 

But credit where due City was amazing. So were spurs. 

I hope Napoli goes through, they are brilliant side, certainly one of best to watch this year and it would be little disaster not to see best napoli in knockout stages. Feyenord and shakhtar are certainly beatable and if they do their best, they will beat both. City should beat shakhtar aswell.

But funny tho, I ALWAYS wanted english football to rise again, to conquer the european throne and end spanish domination. City, Spurs are becoming formidable sides. United will too sooner or later. But Chelsea...we were the only english team not to be ridiculed for years, but now that english football is once again making serious impression in europe, we are falling behind. 

Yes we won two PL titles in past 3 years, but we looked average in europe since that semifinal with atletico, while City, United and even Spurs have improved massively. 

We are slowly becoming on level with Liverpool and Arsenal mentality on too many levels. 

Fuck, the board and players better wake up. 

Only 2 ways i see us catching up

1/  is if Abramovich starts pumping money into the team again. We need to go on a spending spree like City and United have done over the years. 300-400 million, adding 4-6 quality players.

Not potential, not good player genuine quality players who can come in and immediately give us a quality injection. 

2/ is going down the same path Tottenham did. Putting the team full of youth players and hope they develop. 

It's risky though. There's no guarantee they'll reach their full potential and even if they do they could end up leaving us for other teams. 

Then there's the guarantee that if we do this we won't be winning anything for several years as it would take time for the youth players to develop. 

Right now we're slipping and getting dangerously close to Arsenal abnd Liverpool level. 

2 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Only 2 ways i see us catching up

1/  is if Abramovich starts pumping money into the team again. We need to go on a spending spree like City and United have done over the years. 300-400 million, adding 4-6 quality players.

Not potential, not good player genuine quality players who can come in and immediately give us a quality injection. 

2/ is going down the same path Tottenham did. Putting the team full of youth players and hope they develop. 

It's risky though. There's no guarantee they'll reach their full potential and even if they do they could end up leaving us for other teams. 

Then there's the guarantee that if we do this we won't be winning anything for several years as it would take time for the youth players to develop. 

Right now we're slipping and getting dangerously close to Arsenal abnd Liverpool level. 

Those really are the only 2 options for a club like ours. 

Yet, our transfer policy essentially mirrors Liverpool's.

17 hours ago, It's too big said:

Should have won the league last season then with their superior squad. This is the same Spurs who looked toothless vs Utd last weekend? I think the lack of pressure (which cannot be overstated enough) to win anything is a huge advantage for them over us, City and Utd, heck even add Arsenal to that somewhat. The coach knows he can bring in young players or not win the league and it not be a problem, but for us if we fail 2 seasons in a row to not win the league, the manager gets the boot most likely. They have some quality players, but I think they also get overrated a lot too. 

Why are you conveniently ignoring the fact they were without their best player? Imagine us playing one of the top 5 PL teams at their place without Hazard. It won't be a competetitive match

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Why are you conveniently ignoring the fact they were without their best player? Imagine us playing one of the top 5 PL teams at their place without Hazard. It won't be a competetitive match

http://www.skysports.com/football/tottenham-vs-chelsea/373115

12 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Indeed.

And its not the first time. You can just look at Danny Rose's comments at the start of the season, when he was commenting about our squad strength on display during the FA cup semi final last season