The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Regarding City's group:

The City group calculations give me a serious headache.

The rules are, if two teams have the same points, you refer to the H2H matches between them unless the H2H is exactly the same then you go for the general GD. But if 3 teams are tied with the same points, you refer to the GD in the matches played between the three teams only. Now, all of City, Roma and CSKA have 5 points, that means:

- If Roma get a win, they go through regardless of the other result.

- If City win in Rome, they go through unless CSKA beat Bayern in which case the Russians go through because of the H2H with City.

- Similarly, if CSKA win they go through unless Roma win and qualify on H2H.

- Now, if City get a 2-2 or higher score draw they qualify on away goals in the H2H against Roma as long as Bayern beat CSKA; in this scenario, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

- If City get a 1-1 draw, they go through on general GD as long as Bayern beat CSKA. Again, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern in this case, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

Pretty simple, eh?

The commentary had me seething it was ridiculously biased. It was embarrassing how they can get away with it.

It made me laugh when they were trying to justify what Markovic done, he blatantly looked behind him and knew exactly what he was doing. Even if he didn't touch the player (which he clearly did) the intent was there.

the end was ridiculous when Basel were celebrating.'its a shame it could be ringing with Liverpool fans'.no it ain't a shame and Basel celebrating just as well.daft statement

They could really use without the dirty tricks, though. Makes it impossible to be happy for them.

They don't have the money or quality of their CL and La Liga competitors, but what they do have is an unparallelled spirit and yes they've mastered the dark arts. It's part of the game though, something which our manager knows very well.

They don't have the money or quality of their CL and La Liga competitors, but what they do have is an unparallelled spirit and yes they've mastered the dark arts. It's part of the game though, something which our manager knows very well.

Elbowing people and feigning injuries to get opposition players booked is not "part of the game", or at least it should not be.

Elbowing people and feigning injuries to get opposition players booked is not "part of the game", or at least it should not be.

It definitely is part of the game. The morality of it is a different matter but I don't think Chelsea fans can be too critical given that Jose has used cynical tactics many times in his career, including with us. I think I remember reading that you support Juventus also? That's probably why you sound so aggrieved :P

It definitely is part of the game. The morality of it is a different matter but I don't think Chelsea fans can be too critical given that Jose has used cynical tactics many times in his career, including with us. I think I remember reading that you support Juventus also? That's probably why you sound so aggrieved :P

One this is wasting time or holding people on set pieces and another completely different thing to dive and play-act and try to injure people. Don't care who does the latter I will call him disgraceful (as I have done on this very board to Iva and Rami when they have done similar things in the past).

And why would I be upset as a Juve fan? They practically gifted us qualification yesterday by not attacking and putting 10 men around there box. Had they attacked, we would probably have been in trouble. They are well capable of winning in Turin.

Good piece on Liverpool and their delusions of grandeur, particularly how if Barca or Bayern (seeing as they see themselves as similar calibre) in that predicament would be having an inquest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11284410/Liverpools-problems-Delusions-of-grandeur-transfer-duds-and-failure-to-fix-clear-flaws-in-the-squad.html

One this is wasting time or holding people on set pieces and another completely different thing to dive and play-act and try to injure people. Don't care who does the latter I will call him disgraceful (as I have done on this very board to Iva and Rami when they have done similar things in the past). And why would I be upset as a Juve fan? They practically gifted us qualification yesterday by not attacking and putting 10 men around there box. Had they attacked, we would probably have been in trouble. They are well capable of winning in Turin.

I wouldn't say they had 10 men around their box all game. Their play was a mixture of pressing high and sitting deep and they never once looked like conceding in 180 minutes, which is why I suggested you might feel annoyed lol. That Atletico are even considered well capable of beating the Italian champions away in spite of having the heart of their squad ripped out says it all. In fact I'd expect them to beat the English and French champions too. For me it's hard not to admire them even if they do play cynically. I take it you'd never want to see Simeone here then?

I wouldn't say they had 10 men around their box all game. Their play was a mixture of pressing high and sitting deep and they never once looked like conceding in 180 minutes, which is why I suggested you might feel annoyed lol. That Atletico are even considered well capable of beating the Italian champions away in spite of having the heart of their squad ripped out says it all. In fact I'd expect them to beat the English and French champions too. For me it's hard not to admire them even if they do play cynically. I take it you'd never want to see Simeone here then?

The game in Spain was completely different than the one yesterday, you can't talk about them as the same thing. In Spain, they often pressed high and sometimes retreated to deep, but the battle was mainly in midfield and their were fighting Juve for dominance and in the end emerged on top when in the final 20 minutes the physical conditions of the Atleti players proved better than Juve's.

Yesterday was a whole different story and they rarely looked to press high. In fact, in the last 10 mins when Juve gave up the hope of scoring the two goals they needed, they just allowed us to pass the ball in midfield between our players. Nonetheless we should have scored from the positions we got into but Juve notoriously lack clinical finishing. If Pirlo and Leichsteiner were having good games, Juve would have most likely won.

No one can take away what Simone has achieved with Atleti, but his attitude, especially in the CL final last year, make me have second thoughts about ever wanting him here.

The game in Spain was completely different than the one yesterday, you can't talk about them as the same thing. In Spain, they often pressed high and sometimes retreated to deep, but the battle was mainly in midfield and their were fighting Juve for dominance and in the end emerged on top when in the final 20 minutes the physical conditions of the Atleti players proved better than Juve's.

Yesterday was a whole different story and they rarely looked to press high. In fact, in the last 10 mins when Juve gave up the hope of scoring the two goals they needed, they just allowed us to pass the ball in midfield between our players. Nonetheless we should have scored from the positions we got into but Juve notoriously lack clinical finishing. If Pirlo and Leichsteiner were having good games, Juve would have most likely won.

No one can take away what Simone has achieved with Atleti, but his attitude, especially in the CL final last year, make me have second thoughts about ever wanting him here.

I agree that they were 2 completely different games from Atletico's point of view. They played for a 1-0 at home and 0-0 away and got both. Yesterday they limited Juve's chances massively and that was a much bigger issue for Juve than finishing. I don't think Atletico would have lost even if some of the opposition players had better games. They are exceptionally good in the big games beating Real Madrid twice this season already and if they'd have conceded they would probably have equalised soon enough.

I'm surprised you'd have to give second thoughts about Simeone though. If he goes to another PL team I'll personally be massively disappointed. I don't think what he did in the CL final was that outrageous. Jose's done far worse.