The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

I doubt you come across many City fans in Guayaquil, so you wouldn't understand, check out afootballforum and bluemoon.

I hate that lot too, but you know that something is wrong when Chelsea wins 5-0 and your night is ruined just because some team from Manchester recorded their first win of the season in Champions League...

I hate that lot too, but you know that something is wrong when Chelsea wins 5-0 and your night is ruined just because some team from Manchester recorded their first win of the season in Champions League...

It shows any rich guy can take over a club.. buy players and win the CL, it degrades our legacy. As mentioned before, the never-say-die attitude and all the injustices we went through doesn't go into the history books, only the results.

Chelsea winning the league is not more important than City winning the Champions league, if I have to explain to you why.. then football isn't for you, try basketball.

Come on now LOL.....this City ain't winning the Champions league, they may make the Round of 16 only if they beat Roma while Moscow lose to Munich. There's no certainty that if City win next game, they'll be through. Right now, Munich have 0 motivation in the CL group stages and CSKA may very well snatch a win like they did at Etihad.

If you think this City side, who beat a 10 men Bayern B side at home with all three goals being gifts, somehow have the capacity to win the whole CL, then you are the one needing to quit football, not me. Plus, City won't even have Fernandinho + Yaya against Roma.

Let's just say City make it out of group, they'll get a top side and get thumped. Let them enjoy their glory for now, that glory will end either in 2 weeks time or in February.

It shows any rich guy can take over a club.. buy players and win the CL, it degrades our legacy. As mentioned before, the never-say-die attitude and all the injustices we went through doesn't go into the history books, only the results.

It is still early mate. They won't beat Bayern, Madrid, Chelsea, Barsa over a two legged game. Plus there is still one match left in Rome to be played you know.

I find it an insult to mourinho and Chelsea that you think this city is good enough to beat us.

You have lack of faith because you truly don't love our club.

Come on now LOL.....this City ain't winning the Champions league, they may make the Round of 16 only if they beat Roma while Moscow lose to Munich. There's no certainty that if City win next game, they'll be through. Right now, Munich have 0 motivation in the CL group stages and CSKA may very well snatch a win like they did at Etihad.

If you think this City side, who beat a 10 men Bayern B side at home with all three goals being gifts, somehow have the capacity to win the whole CL, then you are the one needing to quit football, not me. Plus, City won't even have Fernandinho + Yaya against Roma.

Let's just say City make it out of group, they'll get a top side and get thumped. Let them enjoy their glory for now, that glory will end either in 2 weeks time or in February.

City winning it.. IS a possibility, it would be well in tune with the spirit of the competition to not rule anything out.

Andy Townsend screaming 'GET IN' when Aguero scored is something City fans will be banging on about forever now. City showed 'fighting spirit' tonight something WE are famous for in the CL, it's part of our DNA in the CL, it's practically copyright infringement lol.

I find it an insult to mourinho and Chelsea that you think this city is good enough to beat us.

You have lack of faith because you truly don't love our club.

It's the Champions league ffs, get a reality check.

We weren't good enough to beat Barca/bayern.. Liverpool weren't good enough to beat Milan etc.. etc... etc... ETC. I'd rather have them knocked out in the group stages just to be safe... that's all.

Though when fighting spirit is mentioned in the CL does seem to be more Liverpool in 2005 brought up first then our madness.we remember it but others less so.mehhh our job done at least.Would say Arsenal would over do our win but more as no longer only london club.can't see that changing for a while though

The City group calculations give me a serious headache.

The rules are, if two teams have the same points, you refer to the H2H matches between them unless the H2H is exactly the same then you go for the general GD. But if 3 teams are tied with the same points, you refer to the GD in the matches played between the three teams only. Now, all of City, Roma and CSKA have 5 points, that means:

- If Roma get a win, they go through regardless of the other result.

- If City win in Rome, they go through unless CSKA beat Bayern in which case the Russians go through because of the H2H with City.

- Similarly, if CSKA win they go through unless Roma win and qualify on H2H.

- Now, if City get a 2-2 or higher score draw they qualify on away goals in the H2H against Roma as long as Bayern beat CSKA; in this scenario, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

- If City get a 1-1 draw, they go through on general GD as long as Bayern beat CSKA. Again, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern in this case, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

Pretty simple, eh?