The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

The City group calculations give me a serious headache.

The rules are, if two teams have the same points, you refer to the H2H matches between them unless the H2H is exactly the same then you go for the general GD. But if 3 teams are tied with the same points, you refer to the GD in the matches played between the three teams only. Now, all of City, Roma and CSKA have 5 points, that means:

- If Roma get a win, they go through regardless of the other result.

- If City win in Rome, they go through unless CSKA beat Bayern in which case the Russians go through because of the H2H with City.

- Similarly, if CSKA win they go through unless Roma win and qualify on H2H.

- Now, if City get a 2-2 or higher score draw they qualify on away goals in the H2H against Roma as long as Bayern beat CSKA; in this scenario, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

- If City get a 1-1 draw, they go through on general GD as long as Bayern beat CSKA. Again, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern in this case, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

Pretty simple, eh?

Would be amazing if City go to the EL so they can waste their energy playing on a Thursday night.

So what does City have to do to get third place?

Before they was dead on track go finish last.

Would be amazing if City go to the EL so they can waste their energy playing on a Thursday night.

So what does City have to do to get third place?

Before they was dead on track go finish last.

Depends on CSKA:

-If CSKA win, City have to win or get a scoring draw to finish 3rd.

-If CSKA draw, they'd have to draw with any scoreline to get third (Roma would be second, and CSKA 4th).

-If CSKA lose, City would finish third ONLY if they draw 0-0 with Roma.

Personally, I'd like them to go through because the EL is played at a completely different intensity than the CL which is obviously a lot more consuming. They are not a threat to us in the CL, imo.

City showed 'fighting spirit' tonight something WE are famous for in the CL

City didnt showed fighting spirit at all tonight. You probably havent saw the full game, i did just right now, and the truth is City were abysmal again. With 10 men, Bayern controled the game and turned 1:0 into 1:2, while being the dominant side by far, away with 10 men(!). City didnt have any ideas how to even get a draw, until Alonso gave them a goal and then Boateng gave them another one. Bayern were cruising for a win, City looked pathtic as usual in CL, it was just luck.

City are a truely awful team imo. Its a shame this is the current 2nd best team in the PL, im embarrassed as a fan of this league.

I want City to go through, that would be the best for English football + for our chances winning the league. Of course it would also be sweet for them only play Europa League and their "historic" win counting for nothing. I am pretty sure ZSKA will not win in Munich, but I can't see City winning in Rome either. So it is more probable that they will either be 2nd or 4th than 3rd.

The City group calculations give me a serious headache.

The rules are, if two teams have the same points, you refer to the H2H matches between them unless the H2H is exactly the same then you go for the general GD. But if 3 teams are tied with the same points, you refer to the GD in the matches played between the three teams only. Now, all of City, Roma and CSKA have 5 points, that means:

- If Roma get a win, they go through regardless of the other result.

- If City win in Rome, they go through unless CSKA beat Bayern in which case the Russians go through because of the H2H with City.

- Similarly, if CSKA win they go through unless Roma win and qualify on H2H.

- Now, if City get a 2-2 or higher score draw they qualify on away goals in the H2H against Roma as long as Bayern beat CSKA; in this scenario, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

- If City get a 1-1 draw, they go through on general GD as long as Bayern beat CSKA. Again, if CSKA get a draw against Bayern in this case, all three teams would be on 6 points and they send Roma through as the team with the best GD in the matches between them. If CSKA win, they go through on points.

Pretty simple, eh?

Bayern, Roma will go through, City for Europa League.

Bayern, Roma will go through, City for Europa League.

probably. But City have Agüero. When City play anything close to their potential, they will go through. But I'm pretty sure they will be eliminated from every team they can face in the round of 16 bar Leverkusen.

probably. But City have Agüero. When City play anything close to their potential, they will go through. But I'm pretty sure they will be eliminated from every team they can face in the round of 16 bar Leverkusen.

Don't forget City usually playing shit when away. And Roma at home wouldn't be easy.

I would absolutely despise Aguero if I was an Argentine.

The lad is bloody world class at club level but absolute wank of the highest order on the national team, even with him taking over Messi's position and Messi having to play a deeper role.