The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

The thing is, City may have been doing well, but the warning signs were already there for City this season in that midfield and defensively as a team. Their away games in the Premier League, especially, have illustrated that. They are lacking the control in midfield with only 2 players in there and teams have found it easy at times to play around there and mind you, despite thrashing United in the derby, there were massive gaps in between City's defence and midfield which Rooney exploited it but to no avail thanks the rubbishness of his team that day. And yet despite all of this, Pellegrini did not look tighten things up yesterday.

Also it wasn't just about the lack of mental strength and focus yesterday, the key issue was the setup. Any team playing a 4-4-2 against that Bayern team is extremely suicidal, even for a team with quality and/or with great mental strength and concentration. And again, am only focusing at the game alone yesterday. So, don't get why you are suddenly looking into other aspects of Pellegrini.

But I dont agree with this notion that their midfield and defense are weak (or have been). Because when they actually focus, they looked very solid...What I am saying is their problems dont lie on preparations or tactics or whatever. It lies on their weak mentality!

If it was what you say, they would look bad and not dominate until they score. If it was Pellegrini's lineup, they would not play great until a certain point, they would just be flat out bad. You even used the perfect word, the problem is concentration and not take things for granted.

I know you were only referring to the last game (hence why I started by saying I agree with you), but when you brought the fact Mancini wouldnt have let Bayern humiliate them due to his approach I decided to quote you to 'defend' Manuel's style and/or line of thought...

But I dont agree with this notion that their midfield and defense are weak (or have been). Because when they actually focus, they looked very solid...What I am saying is their problems dont lie on preparations or tactics or whatever. It lies on their weak mentality!

If it was what you say, they would look bad and not dominate until they score. If it was Pellegrini's lineup, they would not play great until a certain point, they would just be flat out bad. You even used the perfect word, the problem is concentration and not take things for granted.

Being focus is one thing but that's just one part of the problem! They have quality players from back to front but there are flaws generally in that team simply because of the system and that problem was totally exposed against Bayern.

I know you were only referring to the last game (hence why I started by saying I agree with you), but when you brought the fact Mancini wouldnt have let Bayern humiliate them due to his approach I decided to quote you to 'defend' Manuel's style and/or line of thought...

I'm not even questioning Pellegrini's style. Am just looking at the problems of his system and setup of the City team generally and against Bayern..

• 2 weeks later...

1. Dortmund 6 points

2. Arsenal 6 points

3. Napoli 6 points

Thats some group! Arsenal now travelling to Germany, or rather to hell.

BTW Herrera from Porto - 5th minute yellow card, 6th minute BOOM second yellow :lol:

What a fucking night. Perfect, just perfect. Nothing coulda made me more happy than what happened tonight. Not just with us, but with all the games combined. Arsenal are now in a bit of shit after being the best team destined for the quadruple yesterday... Napoli winning has put them under pressure and Steaua equalising has given us a bit of breathing space.

arsenal group

after round 3

arsenal - 6 points

napoli - 6 points

bvb - 6 points

after round 4 (expectations)

arsenal - 6 points

bvb - 9 points

napoli - 9 points

after round 5 (expectations)

arsenal - 9 points

bvb - 12 points

napoli - 9 points

so in the end according to me, it would all come down to the napoli-arsenal fixture. napoli will have to win it as a draw would send arsenal to 2nd on head to head. the best thing would be napoli is able to get a point off bvb (away) in round 5 (improbable) or arsenal drop points to marseille at emirates (can happen after seeing arsenal's fixtures

palace (away) - PL

chelsea (home) - COC

liverpool (home) - PL

dortmund (away) - CL

united (away) - PL

southampton (home) - PL

marseille (home) - CL.

really tough fixtures and as we all know, once they start fucking over, arsenal dont stop. lets all hope for the best and hope that arsenal fuck up big time!!!

Just had a look at Arsenal's group again and was thinking of the following scenario. Knowing that head to head games is the primary tiebreaker when two teams finish with equal points, then what's the procedure if:

1. Dortmund, Napoli and Arsenal finish equal on points

2. Dortmund have better head to head record against Arsenal

3. Napoli have better head to head record against Dortmund

4. Arsenal have better head to head record against Napoli

If that happens then head to head games are ignored and the criteria is the teams' goal difference in all the matches, right?