Chelsea v Barcelona

James

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirty challenges, long balls, 4 CBs and 2 CDMs, that's how we roll today. Counter attack football and what some might say 'anti-football', they dont like playing against that, never have done. Shame the pitch is looking nice, we shoulda ripped it to bits so the ball can't roll properly. Oh well. Strange to see that Martin Tyler and Ray Wilkins thinks Torres will start ahead of Drogba.... No fucking way will he!

Getting nervous now anyway.... Still feels a bit strange after losing to Liverpool in the CC at home and Leverkusen away and feeling like i was supporting a bottom half bunch of retards, We're in an FA Cup final and the UCL Semi. It just doesn't seem right.

I'm at work, but I can not even concentrate on work, just thinking about the evening match...

That's why i booked this week off from last Friday :D for Tottenham, Arsenal & Barcelona. No work, just focus on this. 1 down, 2 to go.

I'm at work, but I can not even concentrate on work, just thinking about the evening match...

Lol, same as me. I won't enjoy tonights game unless we go a few goals up. These games against Barca are never enjoyable affairs. The thing that is going to drive me mad is the Barca play acting. We really need to not get involved and not give the ref an excuse to send a player off.

Time to get dirty ... we cant match them in pace but lets rock them in pure strength. I dont mind losing but in turn they should endure the pain on the field for that win. They should f****** remember what hit them, this should not be a game of football.

Really liked the article:

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/7678779/-By-Any-Means-Necessary-For-Chelsea...

:chai:

Long ball tonight is probably the most effective. If we play the midfield there will be only one winner.Route one (on occasion) has played a big part in RDM's form. It's as if RDM knew one of our biggest problems was our reluctance to go long. Rarely did we do it and teams could quickly close the defenders down and force mistakes out of us. Now they're not sure what we're gonna do so they cover and play safe. It was so predictable under AVB blue%20scalf.gif

Mate I think that the conundrum revolves around selection up front.We can not afford passengers for numerous reasons specifically Barca playing the ball from the back who ever plays needs to put a shift and IMO don't think Dan does that! Love his pace but don't like his I don't give a rats defend attitude he would be found out.

I have a gut feeling that DD and Nando on the right could def work Nando does not have an issue of personal glory v team and tonight more than anything rivalry between DD and Nando won't exists those two want to win first personal glory second.

i have a feeling it'll be Kalou in the end

:chai:

Long ball tonight is probably the most effective. If we play the midfield there will be only one winner.Route one (on occasion) has played a big part in RDM's form. It's as if RDM knew one of our biggest problems was our reluctance to go long. Rarely did we do it and teams could quickly close the defenders down and force mistakes out of us. Now they're not sure what we're gonna do so they cover and play safe. It was so predictable under AVB blue%20scalf.gif

That's my opinion as well, but Jimmy Floyd has an interesting opinion (Its from Goal.com):

DROGBA OR TORRES?

There is no obvious number one striker at Chelsea at the moment, which in some ways will not suit either Didier Drogba or Fernando Torres because we are always asking this question.

"Drogba played in the FA Cup semi-final and was great but he is 34 now. In football terms, he is old. You really need fresh legs to play against Barcelona and I can not see him getting a lot of joy"

People say Drogba is the man for the big occasion but I would play Torres on Wednesday night. He has scored seven goals in 10 games against Barcelona and netted in a European Championship final for Spain so you can not exactly say he is not a big-game player.

Drogba played in the FA Cup semi-final on Sunday and was great but he is 34 now. In football terms, he is old. You really need fresh legs to play against Barcelona and I can not see Drogba getting a lot of joy because whoever plays up front is going to be chasing balls, running after lost causes.

How long can Drogba do that? At his age and his patchy form this season, that is the question for me. Torres will be running the channels, Drogba will be standing still and losing the ball. You are better off having 20 minutes of Drogba as a substitute playing at his maximum.

You need someone with the energy to get behind Barcelona’s defence and Torres can do that. You have to be able to hurt Barcelona back.

Torres must feel like he is fighting against the whole world sometimes but he is looking sharper and sharper. I think he is almost working too hard outside the box sometimes but against Barcelona that will suit Chelsea because he is going to have to play an unselfish role for the team.

I do not know whether the change of manager has had something to do with it because Andre Villas-Boas selected Torres quite often as well.

The change that Robbie has made - and it is a clever one - is to play Juan Mata behind Torres. He needs someone playing that role, like when Gerrard used to spot his runs at Liverpool. He needs that No. 10, that half-striker linking play behind him.

DI MATTEO DESERVES THE JOB FULL-TIME

I last spoke to Robbie on Thursday. I wished him all the best and told him to make me proud.

I know for a fact that he has a good chance of getting the job permanently and Chelsea are definitely looking at him as a candidate. I do not know whether he will get it - that is for Roman Abramovich to answer - but I would give him the job.

I think he has done superbly in turning Chelsea around and you only have to look at how much better the team are playing now. He has brought a positivity to the club when there was so much negativity under the previous manager. He has really done wonders.

He has gone about the job quietly and smartly, not making a big fuss when a lot of people were panicking. He has picked the players who he knows will do a job and they are playing for him. There is a big job to do there in the next couple of years because a lot of players are coming towards the end of their careers, but I really think he can do it.

To see Robbie managing Chelsea in big semi-finals is great because I know the guy. We played together in the same Chelsea team and you could tell he would make a manager one day from the way he carried himself and the way he thought about the game.

He did not have the easiest time in his career having to stop early because of a bad injury and when that happens to a friend you wish someone like that even more luck. He deserves it.

HOW CHELSEA CAN BEAT BARCELONA

It is going to be a very difficult match for Chelsea, but they have a chance if they can keep it tight and stop Barcelona’s important players from playing.

JIMMY'S PREDICTIONS

FIRST LEG

CHELSEA 2-1 BARCELONA

SECOND LEG

BARCELONA 1-1 CHELSEA

I am not that worried about Xavi or Iniesta, even though everyone likes to talk about them. For me, Busquets and Messi are the guys Chelsea need to stop. When I watch Barcelona, Busquets wins the ball from deep and starts moves and Messi does the damage around the goal. If you can stop those two, you might have a chance. Do not worry too much about Xavi.

We know defending against Barcelona for 90 minutes is not going to work because eventually they will score a goal.

To beat Barcelona, you have to be able to keep the ball. If you can do that, you have a chance. Yes, you are not going to outpass them but you can not ignore the midfield. Hoof and hope is not the way to play in a Champions League semi-final.

If you keep losing the ball, the mental and physical side of the game will both disintegrate. It is important that Chelsea put some passes together just for their own frame of mind because they will become demoralised if they are chasing shadows all night. There is no point in pumping it to the striker and hoping he makes something of a 50-50 ball all the time.

You have to have relax a bit and get some kind of enjoyment out of the game. It is going to be vital for Chelsea to actually play football in this game and to give Barcelona something to think about.

Barcelona are very good without the ball but Chelsea have to take the risk and play through the midfield. Barca press hard and want to win the ball high up the pitch, but when you have played six passes they retreat. That is what you need. You need them to retreat.

Mata Drogba Torres

Lampard

Meireles Mikel

Cole Cahill Terry Ivanonic

Cech

..... I think we need both, speed and ability to hold the ball upfront, therefore Drogba for holding the ball , winning headers, and torres for the pace and workrate on the right.... Mata for the creativity to get both these players in behind the barca defense....

Lampard can play a defense/attack role where he balances both, instead of being an attacking midfielder only.... and the cover of mikel and meireles.... Meireles with his tackles and hard play, while mikel is the defensive sweeper ahead of our defense....

The reason i have left out sturridge is simply that we will not have too many important moments while attacking, but i fear if he gets a chance, he will make the wrong choice, as he has done many times before, and even if he decides to pass, his passing ability is quite poor IMO.....

Sturridge can be our super sub......

Ramires also loses the ball too much... so its better not to have him starting, as we need to settle into the game before making the charge.... Ramires also as a sub, as other players will be tiring, and he will be able to beat players with his pace and be more effective....

We need to win this game tactically.... Our players are not as skillful and cohesive as Barca, but if we start with the right mix and introduce players such as sturridge and Ramires around the 70th minute mark, we can tactically beat them.

I really cant see us getting thrashed or even beaten in this match.... already feeling the tension and anxiously looking forward to this match...

The way other fans are acting like we are going to be slaughtered makes me want us to shut every one up.

Score in the first 10 minutes.... KTBFFH! 3-1 Chelsea or 1-1 draw