Will we ever have a great striker partnership?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many big club is still using 2 strikers. Until we can get one striker who can create for others like Rooney or ibra, it's going to be difficult to Play 2 up top

I think this is the key!

Strike mention Ba and Cisse. I will say they are a good partnership but those two seem too similar to me.

The partnership of Gudjohnsen & Hasselbaink was great because of their differences that complemented each others weakness.

Hasselbaink with his strong athletic body that helped fend of defenders and win possession of the ball. Gud with his trickery feets, fast movement with and of the ball, which made for an exquisite attack.

Today I like the work i see from Torres. Willing to work for the team, with a pass and go style of play. Yet he is still far from his best, and currently there is no striker that can form that great partnership with him.

We all where hoping that Torres and Drogba would be a terrific duo, but where left disappointed.

Lukaku ain't ready, and Sturridge...too selfish. Maybe in two seasons or three.

I would be interesting to see if we can get Cavani and see how Torres-Cavani does.

Torres-Kalou nuff said...

But seriously, can't say we will ever have a good partnership, we will probably play 4-3-3 starting next season. But you can still have a striker partnership if you play a winger/striker type player on the right who comes in and helps the striker rather than playing out wide. I mean team sheet and line up isn't exactly team sheet and line up is it. I don't know what we are going to do with Mata, either we should stick him on the left in the future or what, if that's the case then i would love a natural winger on the right, because we really need that in the club.

Anyone ever thought about playing Mata in midfield in a 4-3-3?.

I would love to see this next season, just see how it would work

Mata-Ramires

Tiote

Ramires doing a much bigger job more work rate and staying back more, i think he does well like that. Ramires seems to usually put that solid performance in but never too special. Good player to have, but even better when you've got better players with him. I've always said Ramires would play much better with better players around him, i think he would actually stand out more than having shit ones around him.

Then maybe above that, winger on the left or right (doesn't really matter), then a inside forward on the left or right, to maybe form a partnership with the forward and help out. Then obviously the forward upfront.

Give Mata creative freedom he could cause damage, but he can also leave damage behind as he goes more forward. That's why i think Tiote and Ramires could do a good job, especially Tiote covering, as he does at newcastle protecting the back four at all costs.

Yep i've went off topic sorta, but that always happens when i've got more to say lol.

I think this is the key!

Strike mention Ba and Cisse. I will say they are a good partnership but those two seem too similar to me.

The partnership of Gudjohnsen & Hasselbaink was great because of their differences that complemented each others weakness.

Hasselbaink with his strong athletic body that helped fend of defenders and win possession of the ball. Gud with his trickery feets, fast movement with and of the ball, which made for an exquisite attack.

Today I like the work i see from Torres. Willing to work for the team, with a pass and go style of play. Yet he is still far from his best, and currently there is no striker that can form that great partnership with him.

We all where hoping that Torres and Drogba would be a terrific duo, but where left disappointed.

Lukaku ain't ready, and Sturridge...too selfish. Maybe in two seasons or three.

I would be interesting to see if we can get Cavani and see how Torres-Cavani does.

yeah. Ba hasn't scored since Cisse has started playin alongside, has he?

But that doesn't mean Ba has suddenly lost form or anythin. Ba is playing as the supporting Target man and Cisse is sweeping up the finishes. If we get Cavani, he should be the poacher and Lukaku maybe a good target man option. All this depends on the manager and his formation of course

Strike partnerships are a thing of the past because if you have 2 strikers then your opposition can take control of the midfield with the extra man. Man Utd only get away with it because Rooney drops inside if the midfield is being overrun.

Batistuta - - - - - Cassano

- - - - - - - - Totti

I would personally like something like that. Today's equivalent might look something like this:

Cavani - - - - - El Shaarawy

- - - - - - Mata

One Target Man

One Supporting (Secondary) Striker

One Trequartista (Attacking MF)

It would look more like this in game

- - - - - -Cavani

Mata - - - -- - - El Shaarawy

Maloukakuta

Kakoutalouda

Lukalouda

What's the scariest one you can make? Shocking :lol:

I always thought that Anelkalouda was the scariest combination I have heard of :Goober:

BTT: In my opinion, from what I've seen so far, I'd say that Torres and Sturridge could build a good partnership, as Sturridge seems to a striker who can't play on his own and Torres looks like he's willing to play team football, but even then there's no chance these two guys would turn into beast mode together due to the fact that they aren't complementing each other like Eidur and Jimmy used to do. It takes atleast one very intelligent striker to build a good partnership. Eidur was probably one of the most gifted, intelligent and unselfish players and Jimmy was a natural goal scorer who had the ability to destroy defenses with his body, that's why it worked out with them playing up front together.

But football has changed, and so have systems, players and preferences of coaches. As someone already stated the combo of Hernandez and Rooney only works because of Rooney's willingness to play as a midfielder to support the rest of the MF, as more and more teams tend to play a Barcelona type of system, which means ball and space possession, so help from (nearly) every single player is needed to provide the own team's steadiness while the opponent's trying to build up an attack. Unfortunately things will get even worse, just look the new formations (3-4-3 etc.). If that continues, teams will be forced to use a formation without a striker partnership we know from the good old times.

So, imo, even if Chelsea can find two strikers who work perfectly together there's still no guarantee that they will be playing together.

The whole world seems to be shifting from 4-4-2 and its variants to 4-5-1 and its variants. I blame Spain and Barcelona. Striking partnerships will become even more rare than they are today in 5-6 years time, imo. Which in turn could lead to 3 man defences.

More precisely, the shift is from a 4-4-2 formation, to a 4-2-3-1 formation. This started en mass circa 2008. The Prem has ironically been late to adapt. In the last year or two, I'm noticing a shift from a 4-2-3-1 formation to a 4-3-3 formation (thanks to Barca in particular). I predict that in 1 or 2 years max, 4-3-3 will be the preferred formation, as this is allows for more flexibility and players interchanging positions up front.