Aston Villa vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

Important we keep players fresh - Benfica is the more important game on Wednesday, but we could make changes and still win this game. Villa are looking very poor at the moment.

Cech

Bosingwa (no point pushing Ivanovic for this one if he isn't fully fit)

Cahill

David Luiz

Bertrand

Essien

Lampard

Kalou

Malouda

Sturridge

Drogba (would prefer to see Lukaku but don't expect to)

Very important to give Terry, Ashley Cole and Mata a rest. Should also keep Torres, Ramires and Mikel fresh for Benfica.

Ramires is always fresh, no need to rest him. :P Other than that I pretty much agree on that lineup but I'd rather see Meireles over Malouda and if he's fit to play another match only a couple of days after the first leg against Benfica I would give good old Ferreira a start as well. If not, then we're going to have to put up with Bosingwa and not risk Ivanovic so soon after his injury to keep him available for more important games.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely something's got to give on Saturday...?

Aston Villa's Last 8 PL Home Games:

P8 W1 D2 L5

That win came in their last home game and it was a 90th minute winner against Fulham.

Chelsea's Last 8 PL Away Games:

P8 W1 D4 L3

The sole win came at Wolves with a late goal by Lampard and we have lost our last 3 away games.

Chelsea's Record at Villa Park in Last 12 visits:

P12 W1 D7 L4

Even till now, I just cannot believe how awful that record is!

Chelsea's Record at Villa Park in Last 12 visits:

P12 W1 D7 L4

Even till now, I just cannot believe how awful that record is!

Villa has been a decent side & that is probably why we don't have a nice record there. I am thinking this will change for the better in this next match, because we they are spirally downwards quickly. What I hope to see is a breather for Mata & some time on the pitch for Lukaku & Bertrand. Even w/ those guys, I am sure we can get the desired points that we so desperately need.

Villa has been a decent side & that is probably why we don't have a nice record there. I am thinking this will change for the better in this next match, because we they are spirally downwards quickly. What I hope to see is a breather for Mata & some time on the pitch for Lukaku & Bertrand. Even w/ those guys, I am sure we can get the desired points that we so desperately need.

Maybe but when you consider that we have a better record at places like Old Trafford, Highbury/Emirates, Anfield, it's just really baffling!

I think the record is mainly due to the fact that Oneil always knew how to play against the top four. Even Manchester utd's record against them is not great at all.

Excluding United's win at Villa Park this season, they have won 8 and drew 4 of their last 12 Premier League visits there. Last time United lost at Villa Park was way back in 1995. Also, in 11 meetings in all competitions, Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa record vs Man United - W1 D2 L8.

I believe his Aston Villa record against Arsenal and Liverpool are also more or less the same.

EDIT: Just to add...

Martin O'Neill vs Arsene Wenger

P8 W1 D4 L3

Martin O'Neill vs Rafa Benitez

P8 W1 D3 L4

from the official cfc twitter:

"We need to assess the players and select a team that is strong and ready to win against Aston Villa"

"We're in good form and the spirit is good, when you win the confidence flows into the team."

"I'm very happy we have almost a full squad to select from, Ivanovic is available again, Meireles is the only doubt"

(Ivanovic back, me gusta)

"I've tried to speak to all my players and give them confidence to play. Torres, like others, has responded well."

I think Mata should not even be on the bench, we need him for the CL.

Latest news from Villa saying that Petrov has leukemia. Horrific news!

EDIT: Villa INJURY NEWS: Petrov, Bent, N'Zogbia, Dunne & Hutton will NOT play against Chelsea tomorrow due to injuries.