Goalkeeper Issue?

22mek22

Before I get slated by everyone...I absolutely love Petr Cech.

He has been an amazing servant for the club and at one stage was the best goalie in the world.

He has singlehandedly won us points and even kept us in several title races.

However, I don't think that anyone can deny that he isn't what he used to be.

He is making more and more errors and I don't feel as comfortable with him in goal.

Thibaut Courtois hasn't conceded in 2012, and I think he has the 3rd most clean sheets in LaLiga

OK, so does anyone believe that we should recall him in summer and not send him on loan again?

And does anyone think that he should become number 1?

Would really appreciate any of your views...remember to KTBFFH!! :blue scalf:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Cech is not as good as he was before, but he is still a good GK and a rather reliable one which is something really important for our shaky defense. Courtois is still young and there is not need to interrupt his loan at Atletico when it's going so well. Let the lad grow there and brake a few more records :P

De Gea was good at Atletico also, but he is struggling now at United due to pressure and physicality of the league.

For me, the best possible scenario is to keep Cech for a couple of more years then bring back Courtois while Petr is still here and have them together for a season and see with Petr is he's comfortable as being a 2nd choice GK.

He has made a couple of mistakes this season and wasn't as good as last season, but he still made some great saves and saved us points.

We need to bring in Courtois in a year or 2 because Cech has too many errors now. I love Petr Cech don't get me wrong but he has a phycological problem going into 50/50's and he's now developed chocolate wrists. Van Persie's 3rd against us, he showed very weak wrists/hands. Hernandez's header too was almost right at him but he didn't get a strong enough hand on it and the 2nd goal today was pathetic. He's not an imposing figure any more, he's weak and scared. Can't have a weak, scared GK.

Courtois may get his chance sooner than he and we may think. He's having a great season and has every attribute to be the best. Height, size, agility.... Cech should be concerned and Courtois should be watching our games rubbing his hands.

Thibaut has all of the potential to be a truly top class keeper, he has everything you need.

This hasn't been Cech's best season but pushing the panic button isn't the right thing in the long term for Thibaut. Let him have another season in Spain and then a loan move in England and then let him be the number one at Chelsea.

I knew Cech would go on a run like this after the Arsenal game....The numerous goals we had conceded up until that match were enough to make most goalkeepers lose motivation and belief...

He probably needs to take leaf out of Reina's book

Tbh the whole team is devoid of confidence and belief in themselves. It isn't felt only in Torres, he's just the more visible one, but you can see it in everybody refusing to or unable to take responsibility in decisive moments. It's a very hard task for AVB to motivate them again, I certainly wouldn't know how to do that. The players are probably starting to realize that they're not good enough and reality is hitting them hard 2nd season in a row. It's probably not good knowing that you're past it and most around you are too, it breeds frustration. And I'm saying that without having seen the game vs Everton, but I'm sure it will reflect there even more, seeing that even zolayes has lost all words of defence.

Our goalkeeper wouldn't have to make so many saves if our defense was what it should be. We need to fix the big gaping holes in the defense and their confidence before we worry about Cech. AVB needs to kick some butt and get them back into gear!

Yes, our goalkeeper shouldn't have to make so many saves, but he should be making the ones every good goalkeeper would.

I'm getting sick of watching our games and seeing us in a good position and seeing him get beaten at his near post or with a shot on goal that simply would have been saved had his positioning been better. He's completely out of whack. If anything we should send Cech to Atletico so he can redevelop into what he was. He's the one that could use it at the moment, where as the youngster Courtois seems ready.

The keeper is the very last line of defense and a good keeper for the most part only saves you from a lack of / poor defense.

We need to worry about the bigger problems in our defense from the midfield back before we worry too much about Cech.

In the meantime he might not be having the best season but he's still class... besides at the moment theres no real alternative so we gain nothing from worrying about a potential problem.

Lets wait until the end of the season before we even start talking about Courtois.

Noticed that today, lost count the amount of goal kicks or clearances that barely left the ground or went straight to an Everton player.

This has been my biggest criticism of him and have sited this for a while, he still has amazing reflexes and can make most saves.

The way AVB wants to play is important for a GK to be good on his feet and have good distribution. Clearly this not a function where Cech excels in.

I think Courtois should be brought in to compete against Cech.