Goalkeeper Issue?

22mek22

This is not our biggest problem atm and luckily we already have a great prospect signed up and getting some valuable game time. I think this summer would be too early for Courtois but I agree we could be seeing him sooner than you think. If Cech does not improve next season, then surely the change has to be made in the summer of 2013.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Petr Cech is a brilliant goalkeeper and the best we have ever had in the proud history of this club.

He has been written off time and time again, yet bounced back, in almost unbelievable fashion. Last season he was a deserving winner of the Player of the Year award. He is now being made a scapegoat for a side that can't even defend a three-goal lead for 35 minutes against the weakest Manchester United side in a decade.

Yes, he has made mistakes, but he also made last-minute saves that have won us so many matches, not just in the past but this season as well - look at that save from Doyle at Wolves in January or the one in the last minute against QPR.

He is not the player he once was. But he is still a fine goalkeeper, and there are few better in the Premier League. Only Hart and Reina are more competent on an all-round basis. Perhaps Krul and Friedel are better shot-stoppers. But based on his all-round game he is still in the top ten goalkeepers in the world, without question. I've seen him make catches whilst being six feet in the air. The man defies physics at times.

He is a world-class goalkeeper and you're wrong to doubt him, in my honest opinion.

The bottom line? Every goalkeeper is as good as his defence. That means Cech is frankly, utter shite. Yet we know this is incorrect. He won the golden gloves in 2010 (rightly so) and last season almost single-handedly (excuse the pun) saw us to second in the table.

Legend.

I feel bad for him watching players stride past bosingwa and, at times, cole into the box and take shots that should have been closed down much earlier. He has lost a bit when it comes to claiming crosses, but IMO the very least of our concerns.

No. Let's not rush Courtois into the fold. While it's true you can throw a keeper into a squad earlier than most outfield positions there's also an issue of pressure and psychology. Looking at De Gea as an example, you could be assured of your abilities but once your weaknesses are exposed your confidence dies. This is, of course, true for any player but a keeper who's so young might not be able to handle that.

I think we should leave him at Leti next season, let him complete his development there. Though you're right Turnbull & Hilario don't provide any pressure on Cech to perform and we can't use Jamal because Cech won't consider him a threat. Begovic (when we were linked) would've been a class signing to keep Cech on his toes. Thankfully though, Cech's not an immediate problem at the moment.