Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

I'm basing it all on how Jose's evaluated his performance in training. Due to him not having game-time, that's the only criteria. You can't say anything about his match performance cause clearly he hasn't played. IIRC, Jose praised Azpilicueta's training level in the programme notes right? If he has that, I see him starting. That's the only reason he's being held back from getting game time.

Yes but even so, how bad can or is De Bruyne really doing in training? It's not like he has a track record of being a lazy player and the more you look at the way Mourinho selects some players to play, keeping some out despite some playing better than others and even banging on about meritocracy, it just feels as though he doesn't seem to favor KDB. And that is rather similar to Bertrand's case. Not a top quality player but has been solid whenever he has played and yet doesn't seem to get used by Mourinho despite Cole's absence.

Yes but even so, how bad can or is De Bruyne really doing in training? It's not like he has a track record of being a lazy player and the more you look at the way Mourinho selects some players to play, keeping some out despite some playing better than others and even banging on about meritocracy, it just feels as though he doesn't seem to favor KDB. And that is rather similar to Bertrand's case. Not a top quality player but has been solid whenever he has played and yet doesn't seem to get used by Mourinho despite Cole's absence.

I just don't get the vibe of him leaving him out as if he hates him or something . He either doesn't fit in or doesn't have the work-rate the other players are showing . I really can't see beyond that .

Azpilicueta looked quite solid on the left. Maybe Jose wants to convert him into an LB. It's true that Ryan is a natural left-back, but after a good performance like yesterday's, I don't think anyone would want to change those two positions in question.

I just don't get the vibe of him leaving him out as if he hates him or something . He either doesn't fit in or doesn't have the work-rate the other players are showing . I really can't see beyond that.

Doesn't have the workrate? Think we have seen he's got that whenever he has played. And doesn't fit in? In what ways??

Azpilicueta looked quite solid on the left. Maybe Jose wants to convert him into an LB. It's true that Ryan is a natural left-back, but after a good performance like yesterday's, I don't think anyone would want to change those two positions in question.

Let's not just look based on yesterday's game. Look at the overall situation. Bertrand has played well whenever he's been given the chance but yet doesn't seem to be favored despite Cole's absence and him being fit himself and now, he's seeing Azpi - a RB! - starting ahead of him in his natural position.

Doesn't have the workrate? Think we have seen he's got that whenever he has played. And doesn't fit in? In what ways??

Work-rate really is a comparative quantity to the ones put in by the other midfielders. Not just the game, but training, as I've mentioned as well. Body language says a lot, but I can't judge that. Jose and his staff take care of training sessions, and surely it has to be a criteria for selection.

Actually I would have preferred him in the game against West Ham. It was perfect considering that we had 3 player rotating profile. De Bruyne would have done the job well in Lampard's role. But there has to be minute details to the way Chelsea set up, which we can't be sure about at all.
Let's not just look based on yesterday's game. Look at the overall situation. Bertrand has played well whenever he's been given the chance but yet doesn't seem to be favored despite Cole's absence and him being fit himself and now, he's seeing Azpi - a RB! - starting ahead of him in his natural position.

How many games has Bertrand played though? Azpi had quite a few games. Arsenal, Schalke, WBA ( down with flu, so memory might not be right). I have a feeling Jose is trying to convert Azpi into a left-back. Then we don't need to buy a new left-back . Ivanovic and Kalas as right-backs and Azpi and Bertrand as left-backs. I really enjoyed Bertrand's performance against Cardiff though, but there is an underlying reason as to why he isn't starting. Either tactically or physically, the same as KDB.

Work-rate really is a comparative quantity to the ones put in by the other midfielders. Not just the game, but training, as I've mentioned as well. Body language says a lot, but I can't judge that. Jose and his staff take care of training sessions, and surely it has to be a criteria for selection.

Actually I would have preferred him in the game against West Ham. It was perfect considering that we had 3 player rotating profile. De Bruyne would have done the job well in Lampard's role. But there has to be minute details to the way Chelsea set up, which we can't be sure about at all.

How many games has Bertrand played though? Azpi had quite a few games. Arsenal, Schalke, WBA ( down with flu, so memory might not be right). I have a feeling Jose is trying to convert Azpi into a left-back. Then we don't need to buy a new left-back . Ivanovic and Kalas as right-backs and Azpi and Bertrand as left-backs. I really enjoyed Bertrand's performance against Cardiff though, but there is an underlying reason as to why he isn't starting. Either tactically or physically, the same as KDB.

Actually I love facts :-) considering work rate, he had the highest measurable on the Bundesliga. Fact. Our idea on bodylanguage is actually that people very much suck at intepreting bodylanguage. All there is now is a 'too small pool' to draw much more than a sheet opinion from.

So yes. We make - so does Jose- interpretations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does it matter how many games has Bertrand played though? The fact is he has played well whenever called upon but yet Mourinho doesn't play him when Cole is out despite banging about all along on meritocracy.

You could point to tactical or physical reasons as to why Bertrand and/or De Bruyne aren't/isn't playing OR it could be just the simple fact that Mourinho doesn't fancy/favor them. Managers, after all, have their preferences when it comes to selecting their players and Mourinho is no different either.

Actually I love facts :-) considering work rate, he had the highest measurable on the Bundesliga. Fact. Our idea on bodylanguage is actually that people very much suck at intepreting bodylanguage. All there is now is a 'too small pool' to draw much more than a sheet opinion from.

So yes. We make - so does Jose- interpretations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There could be a difference from the Bundesliga to here. Players can be very different in two different kinds of leagues.

Does it matter how many games has Bertrand played though? The fact is he has played well whenever called upon but yet Mourinho doesn't play him when Cole is out despite banging about all along on meritocracy.

You could point to tactical or physical reasons as to why Bertrand and/or De Bruyne aren't/isn't playing OR it could be just the simple fact that Mourinho doesn't fancy/favor them. Managers, after all, have their preferences when it comes to selecting their players and Mourinho is no different either.

So has Azpilicueta as well though. Right?

It's clear he doesn't fancy/favor them. All I'm saying is that there is a reason behind it. It's not like just cause Azpilicueta , Lampard, Oscar or Ramires send Jose goodnight texts so he plays them. Sorry, but I just can't see Jose doing that. Especially on such a level.

Either has something to do with work-ethic, tactical role or a long term plan as said before about converting a player.

So has Azpilicueta as well though. Right?

Yes but the point is Bertrand has played well and deserves more start in Cole's absence at LB. Instead, he's seeing a RB being played in his natural position ahead of him!

It's clear he doesn't fancy/favor them. All I'm saying is that there is a reason behind it. It's not like just cause Azpilicueta , Lampard, Oscar or Ramires send Jose goodnight texts so he plays them. Sorry, but I just can't see Jose doing that. Especially on such a level.

Either has something to do with work-ethic, tactical role or a long term plan as said before about converting a player.

OR maybe it just boils down to the simple fact that Mourinho just doesn't see them as his type of player.

You can bang on about Jose doesn't do this and that with players but face it, managers have their preferences in terms of who they prefer and not for their team. It happens, even with some of the other top managers. Not saying this is the exact reason for what is happening but it could well be.

Yes but the point is Bertrand has played well and deserves more start in Cole's absence at LB. Instead, he's seeing a RB being played in his natural position ahead of him!

. It's an obvious outright insult if you are a left-back and not allowed to play in your position cause a right-back is first choice. ​That's what I was trying to say by Jose trying to convert Azpi into a left-back . He's done really well, and would be an obvious first choice as the left-back above Bertrand !
OR maybe it just boils down to the simple fact that Mourinho just doesn't see them as his type of player. You can bang on about Jose doesn't do this and that with players but face it, managers have their preferences in terms of who they prefer and not for their team. It happens, even with some of the other top managers. Not saying this is the exact reason for what is happening but it could well be.

Type of player that Chelsea needs then yes. That could be true. Preferences in the sense that Jose has a connection with a particular player which is not exactly professional, then I disagree. For me preferences come down to what they can bring to the team. Whether they will be able to play the way the manager wants to play !

. It's an obvious outright insult if you are a left-back and not allowed to play in your position cause a right-back is first choice. ​That's what I was trying to say by Jose trying to convert Azpi into a left-back . He's done really well, and would be an obvious first choice as the left-back above Bertrand !

That's only beside the point. Only used that situation as a case to back up the point of Mourinho's weird thinking of selection and in reference to De Bruyne's scenario..

Type of player that Chelsea needs then yes. That could be true. Preferences in the sense that Jose has a connection with a particular player which is not exactly professional, then I disagree. For me preferences come down to what they can bring to the team. Whether they will be able to play the way the manager wants to play !

Don't be naive, it can happen. But really, read my last post again.

That's only beside the point. Only used that situation as a case to back up the point of Mourinho's weird thinking of selection and in reference to De Bruyne's scenario..

Don't be naive, it can happen. But really, read my last post again.

Sorry then. Agree to strongly disagree.

why talk about meritocracy sometimes as the answer to some players and ignore it for others?

If one player is doing well he deserves to be in the team, but to actually make it to the team he has to not only do well but better than the other contenders to the spot. Azpilicueta did better at RB than Bertrand, so the same meritocracy that would have played Bertrand, plays Cesar instead. And in the case they both showed the same 'deserving' rate, then it's down to preference, but why on earth should we question the meritocracy in Mourinho's choice of Cesar in the LB when he did so well there? So just because Ryan is a natural LB he deserves better even if Cesar played better? Then it comes down to rightfulness - as if Ryan had the rightful spot - instead of merit. I swear I can't follow this reasoning... I mean one could question why Ryan isn't playing, but label it down to a failure in meritocracy when Azpilicueta has been one of our best players in the whole team, not only in the position when playing in RB makes no sense whatsoever.

As for Kevin and his work-rate, I can't say from Werder Bremen because I didn't watch it, but for us? Did nothing for me. He has started 4 matches (Hull, ManU, Swindon and Arsenal) and he has a total of 1 tackle, 0 interceptions, 0 blocks, 0 clearances. I know stats won't tell the whole story, but it's doesn't scream work-rate imo.

**pretends I read all the posts from pages 215 to now***

After today, I'd really like Mou to give KDB a chance in the Lampard role or just in lieu of Lampard really. I haven't seen him enough to know how he's defensively but we can certainly use his offensive abilities to start an attack.