Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

Okay, let's say the transfers from last season aren't included in our profit figure.

Hazard - £32m/5yrs which comes down to £6.4m. Oscar - £20m/5yrs which amortises to £4m. Victor Moses - £9m/5 = £1.8m. Azpilicueta - £7.5m/5yrs = £1.5m. Marko Marin = £7m/5yrs = £1.4m. Demba Ba £7.5m/3.5yrs = £2.1m.

Total = £17.1m which still gives us a leeway of around £22m.

We lose about (estimate) £10m of that obviously because we didn't get far in the CL and that leaves us with potentially £12m to play around with.

That doesn't look as promising but our youth expenses are not as negligible as you put it either - last season they were accounted as £18m - which bumps up our total money to around £30m on a rough estimate (in FFP terms) assuming we get roughly the same figure this year which is still quite a lot to play around with. You're also forgetting we sold Sturridge and Meireles for around £20m combined which also gives a lot of leniency - which brings our total figure to play around with to around £50m (estimate). Not to mention we might sell guys like Michael Essien who's easily worth +£10m, Kakuta, PvA etc. and a lot of players are leaving on a free therefore freeing even more space on the wage budget - Add to that the fact that the PL will give us a a few more million for finishing 3rd (and the restructuring of PL money being factored in) and also the likely additional monies made from our CL win (the merchandise, growing fan base around the world etc.) and you'll realise we still have a lot more to play around with than you're giving credit for.

Of course we'd have to wait and see for the next set of financial information the club will release to confirm all of this but we're fine regarding FFP and we do have the ability to spend another £100m from what I've gathered. It's more than possible - but again, we'd have to wait for the accounts the club release for this past season to confirm this and see where we're exactly at so we can the have a definitive answer but from what I've gathered we look capable.

Two things:

1) Why are the fees of players we buy divided over 5 years (btw not all the players signed 5 year deals, Demba for example signed for 3) but the fees for the players we sell don't? That would make the income from selling players 4m instead of 20m.

2) How did you jump from 50m to 100m?!

Realistically I think we will spend something like 40-50m, but not 70m and certainly not 100m.

Two things:

1) Why are the fees of players we buy divided over 5 years (btw not all the players signed 5 year deals, Demba for example signed for 3) but the fees for the players we sell don't? That would make the income from selling players 4m instead of 20m.

2) How did you jump from 50m to 100m?!

Realistically I think we will spend something like 40-50m, but not 70m and certainly not 100m.

1) If you look at the calculations, I've taken that into account. I divided Ba's amortised fee by 3.5 years as he signed for that long. The others I believe signed 5 year contracts.

2) Because it's £50m of amortised money available. If we sign 4 player worth £100m all together on 5 year contracts that comes down to an amortised fee of £20m (£100m/5yrs = £20m a year) - so even if my calculations are slightly off you do get to see the bigger picture where I believe we can afford to spend another £100m in the transfer market next year if we really want to. Not that we really need to, I think around £70m will be enough but it's there if it's needed.

Going off what Rafa said yesterday which is we'll spend close to the 100m mark on 3/4 players (which I have no reason to doubt considering he spends time with the board, is reportedly close with Emenalo and know's what is going on behind the scenes), I'd go for something like this (realistically as possible):

Schurrle (20m + 5 year deal)

Rooney/Gomez (30m + 5 year deal)

Khedira (20m + 5 year deal)

Di Maria (25m + 5 year deal) - If Madrid signed Bale

Loans: Lukaku, Chalobah, Mceachran, Kalas/Omeruo (one stays, one goes), Piazon, Romeu(can see him possibly being loaned out for regular game time given that he's had 3 serious injuries in the last 3 years and Mou likes Essien), PVA, Thorgan, Ake

Outs: Benayoun, Malouda, Marin, Torres/Ba, Ferreira, Hilario, Bruma

25 man squad:

GK: Cech, Blackman, Turnbull

DF: Azpi, Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Terry, Bertrand, Cole, (Kalas/Omeruo)

MF: Mikel, Ramires, Oscar, Khedira, Essien, Lamps

AM: Mata, Hazard, Di Maria, Schurrle, De Bruyne, Moses

CF: Rooney, Torres/Ba

First XI:

Cech

Azpi Luiz Terry/Ivanovic Cole

Khedira/De Rossi Oscar

Di Maria Mata Hazard

Rooney

Subs: Blackman, Cahill, Ivanovic/Terry, Ramires, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Torres/Ba

Then you have Moses, Mikel, Lamps, Bertrand etc for depth

Honestly think this summer will be a big one and we all know how Mourinho likes to make a statement and isn't shy in the transfer market. Roman will also want to bridge the gap between us and United and with both Manc clubs likely to spend big, I doubt Roman will sit and count his chickens. Don't want to get into FFP as those that understand it will know that we are well-placed, and if those transfers i've suggested do come to fruition, it would only equate to around 20m once the fee's are ammortised over the likely length of contract. With players like Lamps, Cole, Essien, Terry, Torres/Ba and maybe even Ivan approaching the age/time of contract where Chelsea usually deem players surplus, it would open up gaps for the likes of Chalobah, Lukaku, Ake, Kalas etc for the 2014/15 season providing they have productive loans. Quite hard to speculate as some of the loan players this season might come back and really impress the new manager in pre-season

1) If you look at the calculations, I've taken that into account. I divided Ba's amortised fee by 3.5 years as he signed for that long. The others I believe signed 5 year contracts.

2) Because it's £50m of amortised money available. If we sign 4 player worth £100m all together on 5 year contracts that comes down to an amortised fee of £20m (£100m/5yrs = £20m a year) - so even if my calculations are slightly off you do get to see the bigger picture where I believe we can afford to spend another £100m in the transfer market next year if we really want to. Not that we really need to, I think around £70m will be enough but it's there if it's needed.

But it's not 50m that we have to spend because like I said, you did not divide the fees of Sturridge and Meireles by 5, so it's closer to 30m. Now let's assume we spend 50m in fees, or 10m per year assuming they all sign 5 year contracts, that still leaves the wages which are the biggest expenses that you forgot. 40m per year in wages equates to about 380K/week. So if we say we use those 50m to buy 4 players, that means that on average each one of them gets 95k/wk. That seems to me about right.

Even with your optimistic figures, I still honestly think that 50m is our limit, not because of the 50m itself but because of the wages we will be adding unless we can get major players to agree on wages below 100k.

On any account, I don;t think we need to spend more than 50m to challenge for the tittle. We need two major signings in a CM and "Schurrle/Rooney signing" for about 30-40m and a couple of squad players for 10-15m.

But it's not 50m that we have to spend because like I said, you did not divide the fees of Sturridge and Meireles by 5, so it's closer to 30m. Now let's assume we spend 50m in fees, or 10m per year assuming they all sign 5 year contracts, that still leaves the wages which are the biggest expenses that you forgot. 40m per year in wages equates to about 380K/week. So if we say we use those 50m to buy 4 players, that means that on average each one of them gets 95k/wk. That seems to me about right.

Even with your optimistic figures, I still honestly think that 50m is our limit, not because of the 50m itself but because of the wages we will be adding unless we can get major players to agree on wages below 100k.

On any account, I don;t think we need to spend more than 50m to challenge for the tittle. We need two major signings in a CM and "Schurrle/Rooney signing" for about 30-40m and a couple of squad players for 10-15m.

When you're buying you can amortise the transfer fee over the length of a players contract, hence the likes of Hazard and Oscar's fees over 5 years. However when you sell players you are able to recognise the transfer fee immediately in that current period...welcome to the murky world of football finances!

A couple of points to make on that:

• You also have to take into account that we would still be amortising the likes of Torres and Mata's contracts as well.
  • There were a lot of commercial deals done after our Champions League win which I believe were rather lucrative. These wouldn't have been accounted for in last year's accounts where we made a profit.
  • Because of amortising over the length of contracts, the transfer fee's are not as bad as people think. The biggest killer is wages and we have taken steps over the last couple of seasons to bring our wage bill down replacing older high earners with younger lower earners. Factor in the likes of Ferreira, Benayoun and Malouda definitely going to go; the likes of Terry, Torres and Essien's futures uncertain and Lampard reportedly taking a pay cut and we'll have a good degree of flexibility next season with a lower wage bill.

When you're buying you can amortise the transfer fee over the length of a players contract, hence the likes of Hazard and Oscar's fees over 5 years. However when you sell players you are able to recognise the transfer fee immediately in that current period...welcome to the murky world of football finances!

A couple of points to make on that:

• You also have to take into account that we would still be amortising the likes of Torres and Mata's contracts as well.
  • There were a lot of commercial deals done after our Champions League win which I believe were rather lucrative. These wouldn't have been accounted for in last year's accounts where we made a profit.
  • Because of amortising over the length of contracts, the transfer fee's are not as bad as people think. The biggest killer is wages and we have taken steps over the last couple of seasons to bring our wage bill down replacing older high earners with younger lower earners. Factor in the likes of Ferreira, Benayoun and Malouda definitely going to go; the likes of Terry, Torres and Essien's futures uncertain and Lampard reportedly taking a pay cut and we'll have a good degree of flexibility next season with a lower wage bill.

Well, I'd be very happy if that's the case, although, tbh, that doesn't make much sense to me, especially the first point.

No that's where you get it wrong - the club are not going to amortise Sturridge or Meireles' fees. There's no need for that, and it's exactly why FFP isn't as effective as people make it out to be.

Let's say we have a budget of around £50m (amortised) in FFP terms and let's use your example where wages will be around £10m a year extra. With £100m being amortised into £20m, that'd be a total of £30m spent which still makes it more than possible in my opinion.

Anyway, there's no use speculating to be honest, we'll have to wait when the club releases it's official account to see where we really are. I still think that we can spend £100m if we want to but we probably won't - I think it'll be at around £60m/£70m/£80m max. We'll just have to wait and see though.

2013%2F1%2FBattling-DMs.jpg

This pic maybe a bit old now but I would take any DM from that list over Mikel, except Conti and Arteta obviously

gonalons stats are fantastic. and he is a leader too.

Doesnt Jesus Navas have a problem with leaving home?

How would he play a game if he can't leave his home?

Unless he lives in the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium at Sevilla FC!!!

But even then he would be up shit creek for away games!

:Goober:

Doesnt Jesus Navas have a problem with leaving home?

He has apparently overcame his homesickness.

Btw i was just thinking if city sign both of them then they have their own version of mazacar only it would be called silcovas probably.