Oriol Romeu

termninja

Man, great sig by the way. Did you make it by yourself? You always have great sigs and avatars.

Indeed, I only ever use my own work. Various subtle layers, lighting, and a bit of cross processing.

I think you missed the bit where Barcelona and Real Madrid stormed ahead of every other club. Honestly did you really think that we would get such a talented young player from Barcelona without them covering their own interests? Of course not, to think otherwise is simply naive. You are looking at the deal as some sort of negative symbol, in reality we all know that Barcelona and Real Madrid are on another level. You have to look at the positives, we have a fantastic young player currently playing in our midfield, to the extent that Barcelona see him as good enough to be a member of their first team squad, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

AVB wanted Oriol at Porto, his desire to work with him transcended our clubs stature as a top european club. That would be the only way of rationalising it, regardless of Barca's position in world football.

Not really worried about this whole Romeu situation. If he stays then that is fantastic, if he goes back to Barca then oh well we will find someone as good as him in a year or two.

I think he is more suited for Chelsea then Barca tbh, unless he plays CB at Barca. He doesn't have great positioning sense, he gives a lot of space for the opposition midfield. While Busquets has amazing positioning sense and which makes him untouchable player in their system.

What you're stating is the first refusal clause.

The buy back clause is identical to a minimum fee release clause, only difference being that in a buy back only the original seller gets the right to speak with the player if it pays the amount stipulated in the contract. The release clause is for any club that can afford that price.

What Barcelona have is a right to first refusal, atleast that's what the manager says.

Not really. I suggest you do some research on buy back clause. To speculate based on our own assumption is not good.

If the buy back clause is how you state it it really does not make sense. Why didn't they loan him to us? What if he had flopped? Everyone's going nuts because he turned out a gem.

BUY BACK clause is exactly what I stated. It means the Barca has the opportunity to buy him back at the states price IF and Only IF Chelsea decide to sell.

FIRST REFUSAL is similar to BUY BACK but in FIRST REFUSAL there is no deal made on future sale. The buyer has to buy it at the price at Whig the seller is selling but he is the first person the seller will talk to. BUY BACK is where a deal is made on the future sale IF the seller plans to sell it.

That's how shit works in US as I asked my lawyer frd.

Not really. I suggest you do some research on buy back clause. To speculate based on our own assumption is not good.

If the buy back clause is how you state it it really does not make sense. Why didn't they loan him to us? What if he had flopped? Everyone's going nuts because he turned out a gem.

BUY BACK clause is exactly what I stated. It means the Barca has the opportunity to buy him back at the states price IF and Only IF Chelsea decide to sell.

FIRST REFUSAL is similar to BUY BACK but in FIRST REFUSAL there is no deal made on future sale. The buyer has to buy it at the price at Whig the seller is selling but he is the first person the seller will talk to. BUY BACK is where a deal is made on the future sale IF the seller plans to sell it.

To be fair, it all becomes irrelevant if Romeu hands in a transfer request.

Barca: "Hey Romeu, we'd like you to come back."

Oriol: "Okay."

/thread

Exactly. Whether it's a buy-back, first-refusal etc, it's the simple word of Romeu which will decide future decisions of either staying or going back.

We're saying the same things about Romeu's clause, so I suggest you stop getting worked up.

Barcelona have a first refusal on Romeu, which means that they will be the first ones to be spoken to if Chelsea decide to sell, as AVB said. He also said that the sale cannot take place without Chelsea's consent, implying it's not a buy back agreement, thus proving that if it had been a buy back, Chelsea would have been helpless if Barcelona had met the fee stipulated in the contract. As far as your lawyer friend is concerned, maybe things are different in the US, where the buyback seems to be a hybrid of the usual buy back and first refusal terms. Fact remains - a seller's wish doesn't matter in a buy back if the stipulated fee is met by the original seller and the original seller only, after which point he gets a chance to negotiate with the player concerned. But that's not worrisome for us as it's not the case with Romeu.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this sound like a glorified loan deal to anyone else? Hes going to come here, experience the rough and tumble of a more physical league, build himself up (helping us achieve our goals at the same time) and then when Barcelona come back in, and they will, hes going to go back, hes made that fact public already, so a player I was really excited about and looking and hopeful about for the future of our midfield could just up and leave during any window Barcelona want him back.

Still a great player but my opinion of him dropped substantially when I read that, I can't blame him, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it

• 2 weeks later...

Oriol Romeu likes 'hard football' and feels at home at Chelsea

oriolromeuchelsea007.jpg

http://www.guardian....+%28Football%29

Promising quotes from the article, regarding his future..

I'm more of an English player rather than what people consider a typical "Barça player"
Over here, football is about strength where Spanish football is slower, more precise. But I like hard football.

And.. a not so reassuring quote..

"I am ambitious and the only way to ensure big things happen in the future is to work hard and learn now.

Big things = Barca.

"My situation case is different [to Cesc Fabregas']. He was 15 when he moved and was with the Barcelona youth team from a very young age. He was here [in England] from 15 to 24 years old. He grew and became great at Arsenal," he told Sport.

"Barcelona resigned him after many years. I have just arrived here and I still need to grow. I'm not comparable to Cesc."

Romeu was also quizzed on whether he would consider playing for the Catalan giants again, in which he replied: "I do not know, I cannot answer. First of all I need to look at what I can do here at Chelsea. I would not want to go back and not play, I'm happy where I am."

The 20-year-old spoke of Barcelona's signing of Javier Mascherano in 2010 which limited his progress into the first team.

"It was a logical decision [for Barcelona to sign Mascherano]. If the coach is missing a player, you have to sign him. Mascherano is one of the best signings of recent years. He is hardworking and humble although I was disappointed by his arrival," he continued.

"It did in a way give me more strength to play but what stopped me was the knee injury suffered in Las Palmas which prevented me from having a good season, yet these things happen."

Another very positive interview for us

Well that's not out of the ordinary.

Fabregas left Barcelona when they where not that great, so after seeing what he miss he wanted to go back. Romeu leaves when they are great, so he knows what he wants....more game time!

It's the same issue for our youngsters. Take the example of Scott Sinclair. Was at Chelsea for so many years, but left for more opportunity.

He is doing good at Swansea, but do you think he wants to come back to Chelsea today? NO!

He wants to continue playing and become great. And maybe in 4 to 5 years time he will assess where he is at. And if he is at a great lvl and want to move to a bigger club then he will.

While as to Romeu, there is not many choices after Chelsea. And if he is not going to be a first team starter, then any smart man will stay here!

• 3 weeks later...

So what you guys think of Romeu performances so far in his first year?

I have to say i see a lot of flaws in his game and AVB has shown a lot of undeserved faith in him. some of his performances also has been severely overrated based on a few hard tackles. His man marking, distribution, and positioning is not good enough.

On the buy back thing, i would say a five million profit would be a good deal by us if he goes back to Barca.

So what you guys think of Romeu performances so far in his first year?

I have to say i see a lot of flaws in his game and AVB has shown a lot of undeserved faith in him. some of his performances also has been severely overrated based on a few hard tackles. His man marking, distribution, and positioning is not good enough.

On the buy back thing, i would say a five million profit would be a good deal by us if he goes back to Barca.

Imo he was good up until the past few games, he started giving the ball away cheaply and getting caught out of position frequently - i'm guessing AVB noticed this, which is why he's been on the bench a lot more lately.

He's been poor for quite some time now. He was dropped recently but even before that happened, he was poor for about 4 or 5 games in a row. Very strange considering he started off well.

He still suits our style better than Mikel, but now that Essien is fit, Romeu shouldn't be playing unless he improves his form. It's hilarious to see people suddenly delighted with Mikel's return from injury. Mikel may not be as much of a liability as Romeu has been in recent games, but he's still an average player and not good enough for us at all.

He's been poor for quite some time now. He was dropped recently but even before that happened, he was poor for about 4 or 5 games in a row. Very strange considering he started off well.

He still suits our style better than Mikel, but now that Essien is fit, Romeu shouldn't be playing unless he improves his form. It's hilarious to see people suddenly delighted with Mikel's return from injury. Mikel may not be as much of a liability as Romeu has been in recent games, but he's still an average player and not good enough for us at all.

Seriously I never understood this.