Oriol Romeu

termninja

He's been poor for quite some time now. He was dropped recently but even before that happened, he was poor for about 4 or 5 games in a row. Very strange considering he started off well.

He still suits our style better than Mikel, but now that Essien is fit, Romeu shouldn't be playing unless he improves his form. It's hilarious to see people suddenly delighted with Mikel's return from injury. Mikel may not be as much of a liability as Romeu has been in recent games, but he's still an average player and not good enough for us at all.

I'm no Mikel fan, but if Barcelona can do with Busquets I don't see why we should complain about having Mikel as an option.

I'm no Mikel fan, but if Barcelona can do with Busquets I don't see why we should complain about having Mikel as an option.

Mikel is a decent player and an alright substitute option to have, but we need a better starting DM. Question marks have appeared over Romeu despite having an impressive start. Not sure if he's the guy to be a regular in our "new" side starting next season. If he isn't, then the club definitely has to sign someone else. Mikel may have been an okay player but we need to start thinking about getting ourselves back to the level we were at in the 04-08 years with Makelele.

The similarities between Romeu and Busquets football wise, quick one touch passing, is incredible, In which Romeu has positives to his game, diving, playacting, which are absent, and is going through the physical environment in the Premier League which can only get him better.

Munian----Thiago----Mata

------Martinez----Romeu-----

Future Spanish midfield still looks orgasmic

So what you guys think of Romeu performances so far in his first year?

I have to say i see a lot of flaws in his game and AVB has shown a lot of undeserved faith in him. some of his performances also has been severely overrated based on a few hard tackles. His man marking, distribution, and positioning is not good enough.

On the buy back thing, i would say a five million profit would be a good deal by us if he goes back to Barca.

Severely overrated. Stylistically he may offer something quite different than our other potential holding midfielders but I'm not sure that's what we will want in the future or if he is even good enough.

Not sure where the Busquets analogies come from either. Do people even look past the fact that he came from Barcelona? The guy is a much more traditional defensive midfielder than anyone Barcelona have. The only quality I think he does have that resembles a Barcelona midfielder is how quick he is to press which might be handy if AVB even considers going back to a pressing game-style.

Severely overrated. Stylistically he may offer something quite different than our other potential holding midfielders but I'm not sure that's what we will want in the future or if he is even good enough.

Not sure where the Busquets analogies come from either. Do people even look past the fact that he came from Barcelona? The guy is a much more traditional defensive midfielder than anyone Barcelona have. The only quality I think he does have that resembles a Barcelona midfielder is how quick he is to press which might be handy if AVB even considers going back to a pressing game-style.

I think you hit the point there. I don't think Oriols form has declined too much but rather that our style of play is changing. He was brilliant with the high-line high-pressure defense with fast-passing attacks. But I don't think the current (attempt at) possession football suites him too much. I would much prefer we start Mikel with our current style of play.

I agree his game is not too Barcelona-ish, but I still think his tactical awareness, one-touch passing, and sheer composure make him a great prospect for any team to have, especially at only 20 years of age.

In all honesty, I think DM is our least concern atm. We have two descent options there ( yes I do rate Mikel highly) and even essien has proved in the past that he can brilliant in that position.

I think some people are rushing to judgment on Oriol. His first appearances were impressive, but he's been quite poor as of late. Mind you, he's 20 and has gone from playing in the Segunda Division to the PL. Obviously he has some flaws, but he's far from the finished article.

Barca won't buy him back because he's not good enough...

On what Basis do you make such claim? About a 20yo who almost literally walked into one of the best teams in England? He is not a finished article, he has lots of time left to develop.

Your sentence may prove to be true in the future, I just don't see any way how you can make such a judgement now.

He's not a finished article, yeah I'll agree he's been less noticeable of late, but it's hard to ignore the tremendous impact he had in the beginning. I think it's wild to suggest Mikel should be playing there (in most games) because I think Mikel has uses at other times. Oriol should be our starting DM, I don't understand why Raul starts alongside Essien instead of Romeu.

To fullfil his potential we need extremely creativ midfielders so that he can concentrate on the defense. Romeu is very similar to Mikel. Only that most of you tolerate Romeus style of play because he comes from La fuckin Masia...

To fullfil his potential we need extremely creativ midfielders so that he can concentrate on the defense. Romeu is very similar to Mikel. Only that most of you tolerate Romeus style of play because he comes from La fuckin Masia...

In the beginning of his Chelsea career he demonstrated a lot more attacking potential than Mikel ever will (due to his attacking abilities being dissolved by Mourinho & co.). Now he's a bit more defensive. Who knows why, orders from André or he doesn't have room to get forward.

In the beginning of his Chelsea career he demonstrated a lot more attacking potential than Mikel ever will (due to his attacking abilities being dissolved by Mourinho & co.). Now he's a bit more defensive. Who knows why, orders from André or he doesn't have room to get forward.

I cant remember a game where he showed "a lot more". Sometimes he tried to take part in the build up but the team rarely benefited from that. Maybe he has the potential to raise his offensive abilitys but in my eyes his strength is interrupting the opponents build up and thats what he should focus on mainly. Defenitly more like Mikel than like Schweinsteiger for example