Oriol Romeu joins Chelsea

Sheva.

I wonder if it's just first option to sign him and not necessarily a buy-out clause, and of course if it is a buy-out clause we'd be crazy to set it below £15 million, sure he might not command that fee come 2013 but it be wise to have it high in case barca do come knocking. This could work out or it could end up like Matic dry.gif

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking people have misunderstood a buy-back clause.

All it does is give Barcelona first refusal should we wish to sell. It doesn't mean they say they want to buy and we are forced to sell. Giuseppe Rossi has one in his contract at Villarreal when United sold him.

All it does is give Barcelona first refusal should we wish to sell. It doesn't mean they say they want to buy and we are forced to sell. Giuseppe Rossi has one in his contract at Villarreal when United sold him.

I read it wrong, I thought it was a buy-out clause.fainthv9.gifLet's hope he turns out to be a decent player regardless

We Ain't Got No History have done a good factfile-ish thing on him..

Who is Oriol Romeu?

The internets are abuzz now that Alexis Sanchez has completed his long awaited move to Barcelona, but one other interesting rumor that has been making the rounds today is that Chelsea may have capitalized on Barca's need to sell some of their youth in order to raise funds to acquire Cesc Fabregas as well. To that end, there have quite a few whispers that we may have poached 19 year old Oriol Romeu from their B side. Romeu is an interesting name, and he became reluctant to sign an extended contract with Barca last year after they acquired Javier Mascherano. He was fairly heavily linked to Porto last year as Andres Villas-Boas wanted to add him to the squad, but Barca held out hope that he would extend and refused to sell. He didn't extend, and now he's entering the final year of his deal. To that end this rumor passes the smell test, and adding depth while helping Barca to get Cesc out of the Premier League would be killing two birds with one fairly inexpensive stone.

Romeu has played predominantly in the holding midfield role for both club and country, but he's very capable of playing as a center back. He's also been used quite effectively slightly further up the pitch in a box to box role, so he's quite a versatile youngster. Positionally speaking, he sounds like he might be the type of depth that Villas-Boas was forced to add to his wish list several weeks ago with the injury to Michael Essien. Romeu is certainly ready to contribute in some capacity to the first team, as he made his debut last May for the Barcelona senior side. He's also a key member of the Spanish U20 side that will be competing in the World Cup later this month (Gael Kakuta is currently in training for the same tournament).

Romeu will turn 20 this September, so he'll never qualify as a "homegrown" player in England. He stands 6'1" tall, and has excellent pace and strength. He's noted for being very technically astute, a quality common in many of the Spanish international players. He's also noted for having excellent vision of the field, something that allows him to start the attck from the back on a regular basis. His passing and tackling are both fairly sound, although he does sometimes hesitate to pull the trigger which can cause him to get beat or give up the ball. His blend of skills and physical traits would lead you to believe he'd be able to transition to the Premier League without too many issues, and his unique blend of talents would lead you to believe he'd be an ideal holder or pivot in a two man holding role. Here's a little look at some of Romeu's work in that role at last summer's UEFA U19 Championships:

While Romeu will be unlikely to start from his arrival here, I think the chances of him going out on loan are exceptionally slim. As a U21 player, he wouldn't occupy a roster spot and force the club to sell a player to make room for a potential Essien replacement. He's also already good enough that he should be capable of providing valuable depth in the midfield behind Mikel and Ramires, something we sorely need in the case of injury. He also doesn't eat up much of the transfer kitty, leaving plenty of money to go after that creative midfielder we keep finding ourselves linked to. It's exactly the type of move the club should be making if they want to comply with FFP when it takes hold. It would probably be the realistic end of any Arturo Vidal talk though.

This one caught me out of right field today, but given the fact that I had known AVB made a hard run at him last year and the fact that he can fill the same roles as the Bison, it really shouldn't have. I would be surprised if this rumor didn't have some legs, and at the rumored price I'd actually be a very big fan of the move. If nothing else, it will give me a second player beyond Kakuta to follow closely when the U20 championships kick off next week.

Guest justin_3d

emo3.gif

Thanks for the info.

That should not be bad then.

Lets get him!

bArcelona is in Firesale because of Cesc and Alexis

emo3.gif

Fabregas was much more younger when he left, and Fabregas is not good enough to be a starting XI in Barcelona right now. Thats why in Spain NT he is on the bench all the time.

So, no, Barcelona is not in Firesale because of Cesc.

Actually if Barcelona is selling it means he is not that good.

Not really, they have tied down most of their highly rated youth talents like Thiago Alacantra(90m release clause signed this summer), Dongou. While the players they are letting go of are the ones who showed early high promise but jaded a bit last season, like Bojan, Etock, Jeffren and Romeu.