Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

I guess we'll agree to disagree re: Cech v. Courtois. Courtois will be the best in the world in one or two years if he's not there already. He can do things that Cech can't do, Cech has more guile and experience but when it comes to physical tools Courtois is freakishly blessed.

I guess we'll agree to disagree re: Cech v. Courtois. Courtois will be the best in the world in one or two years if he's not there already. He can do things that Cech can't do, Cech has more guile and experience but when it comes to physical tools Courtois is freakishly blessed.

Like what? His catching is nowhere near Cech's level, for instance. He's not even first-choice for Belgium, so how can he be the best goalkeeper in the world?

I have seen every game Check played since 2008 and every single game courtois played since 2010. Courtois will be better next year and you are ridiculing yourself if you say courtois isn't the first goal keeper in the belgium squad. Because last 10 matches I checked, he was, for the second year in a row. With al due respect but it's just annoying when people don't watch matches of our loanees and just judge on what they think.

You have no clue what you are talking about. I have seen every game Check played since 2008 and every single game courtois played since 2010. Courtois will be better next year and you are ridiculing yourself if you say courtois isn't the first goal keeper in the belgium squad. Because last 10 matches I checked, he was, for the second year in a row. With al due respect but it's just annoying when people don't watch matches of our loanees and just judge on what they think.

Courtois won't be better than Cech for a few years simply because he doesn't have the same experience Cech does. When Courtois does something out of this world e.g. Cech's performance against Bayern in the CL final then we can talk.

I'm not saying Courtois doesn't have the potential to be better than Cech (because if he does become better than Cech he'll probably be the best GK in the world) but to disregard Cech's ability like that is very disrespectful.

Look up Gent- standard the final match of the belgium jupiler pro league. WInner took it all, titel, champions league. Motm: Courtois Worldsaves: 4

I'm not saying anything disrespectful against cech, I love him. (no homo) but the point is none of you have seen as many matches of both goalkeepers as i did. And, mark my words, within 20 months courtois will be the better keeper.

Courtois experience is underrated: 2 years spanish league (this year best goal keeper), euro league final, champions league,, belgium titel, cup etc

Courtois is our only loaned player who I'd feel comfortable starting the season with as a starter...A few points to many different ones made on this thread.

1) Cech is still better for Chelsea than Courtois at this point. We saw how it took De Gea some time to get into the Premier League groove.

2) Thibaut is an very good young keeper playing on an incredibly defensive team. (Only Barcelona allowed fewer shots than Athletico). That isn't saying that Courtois isn't a great young keeper, but that playing on a team that defensive can give people the wrong impression about where someone is at because we tend to only look at stats like clean sheets and goals allowed per game. For example, Courtois has a .651 save percentage which is actually not very good. League average is Spain is .689. Cech has a .772 one which is fantastic.

3) We wouldn't get much money for Cech. Keeper is different than other positions. Unless the player is young and extremely talented, there is a fairly low ceiling. Lloris was considered one of the better keepers in the game and was what, 25 years old, and he cost 10M Euros. A similar sort of player as a striker, would have cost 50.Julio Cesar is the starting keeper for Brazil. Was the starter in Milan. He's still a quality keeper. He went on a free. Maybe someone would pay 5-8M pounds for Cech, and maybe one of the new money teams would spend more, but it won't be some great windfall or anything.

4) The problem with having both Cech and Courtois on the team is threefold-1) You have to pay starting keeper wages to two players. 2) Neither keeper would be happy not playing regularly 3) Backup keeper is a great place to get homegrown players. (Least problematic, but still.)

Ideally for me, I'd want to see Courtois in England next season with a bottom-5 side. I don't care if he concedes a lot of goals (which he would on a relegation type of side) I just want him to get used to the difference in the English game for a year or two and see lots of action. A keeper will learn more facing 20 shots a game than 10. Then, after every year, we can re-visit where we are. If Cech starts to decline, we can bring Courtois back. If not, we can keep loaning him out.

Courtois is still a long way of from Cech's form. And yes, I've seen plenty of both the past years. Courtois benefits from the best defence in La Liga. Miranda & Godin are beasts in front of him. He has faced by far the fewest shots in La Liga. Compared to what I've seen from Cech the past months, well, Cech is still a street ahead of him.

Courtois is great tho for his age. Has that calming presence about him that exudes confidence to his defenders. Always has his position right to narrow the angles and is, certainly for La Liga-standards, great in claiming crosses and corners. However, you don't see the spectacular from him like Cech's save vs Hernandez.

Like what? His catching is nowhere near Cech's level, for instance. He's not even first-choice for Belgium, so how can he be the best goalkeeper in the world?

He is belgiums 1 actually. He stands out too much. I don't see Mignolet ever takng his place again. The reason he wasn't number 1 before is because didnt want to burn a young talent in tis crucial campagne just yet.

He is there now - beyond a doubt!!

Courtois is our only loaned player who I'd feel comfortable starting the season with as a starter...A few points to many different ones made on this thread.

1) Cech is still better for Chelsea than Courtois at this point. We saw how it took De Gea some time to get into the Premier League groove.

2) Thibaut is an very good young keeper playing on an incredibly defensive team. (Only Barcelona allowed fewer shots than Athletico). That isn't saying that Courtois isn't a great young keeper, but that playing on a team that defensive can give people the wrong impression about where someone is at because we tend to only look at stats like clean sheets and goals allowed per game. For example, Courtois has a .651 save percentage which is actually not very good. League average is Spain is .689. Cech has a .772 one which is fantastic.

3) We wouldn't get much money for Cech. Keeper is different than other positions. Unless the player is young and extremely talented, there is a fairly low ceiling. Lloris was considered one of the better keepers in the game and was what, 25 years old, and he cost 10M Euros. A similar sort of player as a striker, would have cost 50.Julio Cesar is the starting keeper for Brazil. Was the starter in Milan. He's still a quality keeper. He went on a free. Maybe someone would pay 5-8M pounds for Cech, and maybe one of the new money teams would spend more, but it won't be some great windfall or anything.

4) The problem with having both Cech and Courtois on the team is threefold-1) You have to pay starting keeper wages to two players. 2) Neither keeper would be happy not playing regularly 3) Backup keeper is a great place to get homegrown players. (Least problematic, but still.)

Ideally for me, I'd want to see Courtois in England next season with a bottom-5 side. I don't care if he concedes a lot of goals (which he would on a relegation type of side) I just want him to get used to the difference in the English game for a year or two and see lots of action. A keeper will learn more facing 20 shots a game than 10. Then, after every year, we can re-visit where we are. If Cech starts to decline, we can bring Courtois back. If not, we can keep loaning him out.

If I was Courtois and chelsea proposed to me to play in a bottom 5 team in the PL, after winning the best keeper in la liga award, qualifying for the CL and winning the Europa league I'd politly tell them to fuck off and enforce a transfer to FC barcelona who are more than intrested.

If I was Courtois and chelsea proposed to me to play in a bottom 5 team in the PL, after winning the best keeper in la liga award, qualifying for the CL and winning the Europa league I'd politly tell them to fuck off and enforce a transfer to FC barcelona who are more than intrested.

We all understand your patriotism towards your fellow belgian but if you think he is going to come into chelsea and bpl anot not concede silly goals vs big teams like stoke you are fooling yourself... even someone as experienced as check has had issues dealing with teams with massive players who stand on his toes and cech is phyiscally in mass a bigger player the courtois.. I do not know why you are being so defensive about this issue no one here is stating that courtois is not a fantastic young keeper but he has a lot to learn about the BPL before he takes over at a team fighting for league glory as well as glory on all other fronts... maybe you got caught up on the bottom 5 of PL but really we need him in a team in england where he can be tested more than what he is getting in la liga..

We all understand your patriotism towards your fellow belgian but if you think he is going to come into chelsea and bpl anot not concede silly goals vs big teams like stoke you are fooling yourself... even someone as experienced as check has had issues dealing with teams with massive players who stand on his toes and cech is phyiscally in mass a bigger player the courtois.. I do not know why you are being so defensive about this issue no one here is stating that courtois is not a fantastic young keeper but he has a lot to learn about the BPL before he takes over at a team fighting for league glory as well as glory on all other fronts... maybe you got caught up on the bottom 5 of PL but really we need him in a team in england where he can be tested more than what he is getting in la liga..

I'm anything but patriotic, I couldn't care less if this entire country was washed away by sea. Im just realistic, there is no way a player is going to step down from a hero in madrid to an anonymous premier league keeper.

I'm anything but patriotic, I couldn't care less if this entire country was washed away by sea. Im just realistic, there is no way a player is going to step down from a hero in madrid to an anonymous premier league keeper.

Of course there is especially if he wants to be a chelsea blue.. as stated before very talented no doubt but we have to manage the career of the player as well as the well being of the team cause when it comes down to it its always team first and in such a crucial position you dont just give up someone who holds 142 clean sheets in the PL to give the number 1 job to someone who is still making a name for himself

b5TqYrb.gif

With Mourinho coming back, I can see him favoring Courtois after a season or so.

Look at how he put Casillas out. It was not in the first season, but season two or three Courtois should be coming into our team as a starter.

If Real Madrid lose vs Atlético this Friday, we will get Courtois asap.

b5TqYrb.gif

And that half dutch Antwerp city the first of all! :D

I'd had no problem starting with Courtois next season. I've watched many of his games and IMO he is a top 5 goalie already, and will be better than Cech, who is slowly declining, before 2015.

I don't get why he should be loaned within the EPL. If Atletico have such a good defense, he won't have too much to do most of the time, as he will have here, so no reason to loan him to mediocre english team. A goalkeeper has to save whatever comes towards his goal and whether that goal stands in Spain or in England does not make much of a difference.

Then, we sell him. He'll be great at Barcelona, but so would a lot of keepers. You can't let players on loan dictate what's best for the club just because he'll throw a hissy fit. If he's professional, he'll go where he's told. BTW, He didn't win keeper of the year, he allowed the fewest goals which is different. Victor Valdes has won that award a number of times, and he's not nearly good enough for Chelsea, and I've never really thought he was any good. Cech has been one of the top 2-3 keepers in the Premier League this season and to let him go because someone might be as good is simply ridiculous. What's best for Chelsea is for Courtois to learn the English game so when Chelsea need him, he won't have an adjustment period, he'll be ready to go.