Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

You think the best keeper in Spain needs other EPL experience before playing For Chelsea? Lulz

He's good enough for Chelsea RIGHT NOW.

Of course. Its far easier to be the best goalie in Spanish League. In England he wouldn't even make the top three now, let alone being the best. He is good enough for Chelsea, yes he is if he wants to sit on the bench and watch Petr do the job for us. As long as he (Cech) is fit and playing at this level we shouldn't even consider changing him.

No, I'm just realistic. For me, this is a very similar case to people saying Lukaku was ready to replace Drogba this season.

I have already explained myself several times in this thread that for the 2014/15 season, Courtois should be our number 1. I feel Cech is the better keeper and will be for another couple of years yet, but when you have the choice of keeping Cech for three/four more years and allowing Courtois out on loan yet again, OR sending him on loan for one more season then recalling him, you go for the latter. It may be a (very slight) step backwards in the short-term (Cech is the better keeper for my money), but in the long term it makes sense.

Of course. Its far easier to be the best goalie in Spanish League. In England he wouldn't even make the top three now, let alone being the best. He is good enough for Chelsea, yes he is if he wants to sit on the bench and watch Petr do the job for us. As long as he (Cech) is fit and playing at this level we shouldn't even consider changing him.

Only cech is better than Courtois.

Hart is overrated

Lloris is a great sweeper but and class but not worldclass

Arsenal? I don't even know if they know who their keeper is

De gea? Ask any atletico fan who they would prefer in their goal right now.

Only cech is better than Courtois.

Hart is overrated

Lloris is a great sweeper but and class but not worldclass

Arsenal? I don't even know if they know who their keeper is

De gea? Ask any atletico fan who they would prefer in their goal right now.

I don't know whos been better this season out of De Gea and Courtois.

De Gea this season has been outstanding for United as Thibaut has been for Atleti since going there.

I feel Courtois would need a loan in England to adapt as De Gea struggled with the physicality of the league when he first took over in goal for United. I mean look at De Gea now physically in comparison to him when he was in Spain. Hes much stronger and bigger which Courtois might need to do to deal with certain aspects of the league.

david-de-gea-manchester-united-muscle-62

I don't know whos been better this season out of De Gea and Courtois.

De Gea this season has been outstanding for United as Thibaut has been for Atleti since going there.

I feel Courtois would need a loan in England to adapt as De Gea struggled with the physicality of the league when he first took over in goal for United. I mean look at De Gea now physically in comparison to him when he was in Spain. Hes much stronger and bigger which Courtois might need to do to deal with certain aspects of the league.

david-de-gea-manchester-united-muscle-62

Nah, Thibaut is far more physically developed than De Gea was when he went to United.

I don't think we need to loan him to anyone. I think he is ready to play for Chelsea, but people will have to appreciate he isn't at Cech's level yet. Very few are.

Therefore, for the good of his development, he should go on loan. Unless the club have intentions to play Cech in 90% of league games and all European ties, and give the remaining games plus cup competition appearances to Thibaut - and then, over time - increase that ratio in Courtois' favour, with Cech eventually either moving on or becoming a long-term second-choice, you would imagine for the Belgian's own benefit, he should go out on loan.

But returning to that point, let's suggest the following, hypothetically:

• 13/14 season - Cech; 30-ish league games, plus European competitions = roughly 40 appearances.
  • 13/14 season - Courtois; 8-10 league games, plus cup competitions = roughly 15-20 appearances, depending on success.
  • 14/15 season - Cech; 15-20 league games, plus cup competitions = roughly 30 appearances.
  • 14/15 season - Courtois; 15-20 league games, plus European competitions = roughly 30 appearances.
  • 15/16 season - Cech; 8-10 league games, plus cup competitions = roughly 15-20 appearances.
  • 15/16 season - Courtois; 30-ish league games, plus European competitions = roughly 40 appearances.
  • 16/17 season - Courtois first-choice goalkeeper, with Cech either moving on or accepting a secondary role, á la Cudicini, making 10 appearances to Courtois' 45-40.

I know it is a crude measure, but it is a demonstration of how we could best utilise both goalkeepers.

But put it this way - it's a lovely headache to have, isn't it?

I don't think we need to loan him to anyone. I think he is ready to play for Chelsea, but people will have to appreciate he isn't at Cech's level yet. Very few are.

He's not that far off either. He should be ready 14/15

^ I don't think he'll reach Cech's level for a while yet, but I think if we invest in him and give him the chance to be our number 1 goalkeeper in one/two years' time, he will, eventually - and with experience - learn and become Cech's peer.

With Mourinho coming back, I can see him favoring Courtois after a season or so.

Look at how he put Casillas out. It was not in the first season, but season two or three Courtois should be coming into our team as a starter.

We can get a lot of money for Cech if we decide to sell him. He is better than Courtois right now but Courtois is a very excellent goalkeeper who will keep on improving. We can use that money to sign Falcao or Cavani etc etc.

We can get a lot of money for Cech if we decide to sell him. He is better than Courtois right now but Courtois is a very excellent goalkeeper who will keep on improving. We can use that money to sign Falcao or Cavani etc etc.

Dont worry Roman has enough money..

With Mourinho coming back, I can see him favoring Courtois after a season or so.

Look at how he put Casillas out. It was not in the first season, but season two or three Courtois should be coming into our team as a starter.

He benched Casillas because they had a fight, can't see the same happening with Cech as they have a great relationship already from his time at Chelsea and I'm sure Cech would be delighted to have him back.

But in the end it's is like @ said, a lovely dilemma for the management to have and think through. Like I've said before, I think Courtois should stay at Atletico for another year and then a season on loan in England before coming back for the 15/16 season to replace Cech as number one. Not because he's not good enough to take over sooner but because Cech is still an excellent keeper and he deserves to play at Chelsea for at least another two seasons as the first choice after all he's given to the club and Courtois is way too good to be just a backup.