Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Then, we sell him. He'll be great at Barcelona, but so would a lot of keepers. You can't let players on loan dictate what's best for the club just because he'll throw a hissy fit. If he's professional, he'll go where he's told. BTW, He didn't win keeper of the year, he allowed the fewest goals which is different. Victor Valdes has won that award a number of times, and he's not nearly good enough for Chelsea, and I've never really thought he was any good. Cech has been one of the top 2-3 keepers in the Premier League this season and to let him go because someone might be as good is simply ridiculous. What's best for Chelsea is for Courtois to learn the English game so when Chelsea need him, he won't have an adjustment period, he'll be ready to go.

oh please this isn't the 60's were clubs have all the power over players. There isn't a single youth player that would cope with the way you would be treating him. The only thing we send out to the guys in the academy is: Even is your world class, your not good enough for Chelsea. He'll stay at atletico until cech is second choice or he leaves the club. There is no way Courtois is going to play for a lesser club than atletico. And not a single youngster would ever do that. I'll post a video of me singing barbie girl with a mexican sombrero on and pink panties if he goes on loan to club like aston villa.

Is he better than Cech was at this age ? Cech has been making mistakes more often now, like that Benteke goal.

Spanish media say he is as good as casillias on on that age and better than de gea. But I wouldn't know how good cech was at Rennes. And I don't really agree it was his fault, if you look it's just a perfect placed ball 2cm to the right and cech would of kept it out.

You are right. But he still shouldn't be beaten at the near post from that angle. Unlucky, but a mistake still.

To the poster who said we won't get money for Cech, you are wrong. Cech is way better than Julio Caesar or Lloris. Recent times haven't been so good due to our shitty defense by remember during Mourinho's time when we used to regularly grind out 1-0 wins ? Cech anchored one of the best defenses in the league during this time. In my opinion he still has a good 6-7 years in him and we can easily get 15-20m pounds for him. Barcelona desperately need a good keeper, for instance.

I don't think we need to loan him to anyone. I think he is ready to play for Chelsea, but people will have to appreciate he isn't at Cech's level yet. Very few are.

Therefore, for the good of his development, he should go on loan. Unless the club have intentions to play Cech in 90% of league games and all European ties, and give the remaining games plus cup competition appearances to Thibaut - and then, over time - increase that ratio in Courtois' favour, with Cech eventually either moving on or becoming a long-term second-choice, you would imagine for the Belgian's own benefit, he should go out on loan.

But returning to that point, let's suggest the following, hypothetically:

• 13/14 season - Cech; 30-ish league games, plus European competitions = roughly 40 appearances.
  • 13/14 season - Courtois; 8-10 league games, plus cup competitions = roughly 15-20 appearances, depending on success.
  • 14/15 season - Cech; 15-20 league games, plus cup competitions = roughly 30 appearances.
  • 14/15 season - Courtois; 15-20 league games, plus European competitions = roughly 30 appearances.
  • 15/16 season - Cech; 8-10 league games, plus cup competitions = roughly 15-20 appearances.
  • 15/16 season - Courtois; 30-ish league games, plus European competitions = roughly 40 appearances.
  • 16/17 season - Courtois first-choice goalkeeper, with Cech either moving on or accepting a secondary role, á la Cudicini, making 10 appearances to Courtois' 45-40.

I know it is a crude measure, but it is a demonstration of how we could best utilise both goalkeepers.

But put it this way - it's a lovely headache to have, isn't it?

Sorry to go back and quote this but something like this is how i feel the club should deal with the Cech and Courtois situation @Alex you have this spot on everyone stating Cech has 6-7 years remaining at a top level are blinded by the fact this man has been a legend for this club.. Can speak multiple different languages so converse with teammates from all over and a top class person as well you don't find that very often. IMHO Cech has 2-3 years left at his very best before we see a sharp decline.. He has been beaten and playing injured for over 2 seasons now and at 30 he doesn't have the same spring he did even 3 seasons ago..

An arrangement as listed above would get the best out of petr but also lengthen his career as well as giving thibault PL experience. I think why the club has loaned him out for so long already is because they believe in him to be the replacement long term for Cech but don't want to mess it up and get it wrong like we have done in the past with some very bright prospects

I think his kicking is his biggest weakness. He's bad with his feet, must improve there especially cause we're going to be more and more likely to increase building from the back from here on forward.

I think his kicking is pretty decent (he's left footed btw)... He's forced to kick long balls to Falcao (orders by Simeone...)

It must be bettter than Cech's kicking anyway :P

But Cech is still the better goalie.

Patience my friends!

I have seen every game Check played since 2008 and every single game courtois played since 2010. Courtois will be better next year and you are ridiculing yourself if you say courtois isn't the first goal keeper in the belgium squad. Because last 10 matches I checked, he was, for the second year in a row. With al due respect but it's just annoying when people don't watch matches of our loanees and just judge on what they think.

With all due respect but it's even more annoying when you're bigging up your Belgian goalkeeper! I appreciate your patriotism - it is admirable, in fact - but how you can be so sure Courtois will eclipse Cech is beyond me. I have high hopes for Courtois and fully expect him to be our number one in a couple of years, but as to how anyone can say he is even close to Cech at this period in time.... I'm afraid to say those people are the ones ridiculing themselves...

Sorry to go back and quote this but something like this is how i feel the club should deal with the Cech and Courtois situation @Alex you have this spot on everyone stating Cech has 6-7 years remaining at a top level are blinded by the fact this man has been a legend for this club.. Can speak multiple different languages so converse with teammates from all over and a top class person as well you don't find that very often. IMHO Cech has 2-3 years left at his very best before we see a sharp decline.. He has been beaten and playing injured for over 2 seasons now and at 30 he doesn't have the same spring he did even 3 seasons ago..

An arrangement as listed above would get the best out of petr but also lengthen his career as well as giving thibault PL experience. I think why the club has loaned him out for so long already is because they believe in him to be the replacement long term for Cech but don't want to mess it up and get it wrong like we have done in the past with some very bright prospects

Totally agree with you. Cech deserves to be delicately dealt with, and not just simply discarded as so many people are discussing. He is possibly one of the top ten greatest players to ever play for us, and certainly our best goalkeeper historically. Courtois is an amazing talent and I think one day he can be as good as Cech is now, but I don't think he will ever touch the level of Cech between 2004 and 2006. I don't think I will ever see another goalkeeper reach those heights.

As I have said before, it is certainly a nice headache to have.

However it is clear there are two very stubborn sides to this argument. I have expressed my own very pragmatic viewpoints, and as I can sense some members are getting personal, I am going to withdraw from the thread having stated my case.

With all due respect but it's even more annoying when you're bigging up your Belgian goalkeeper! I appreciate your patriotism - it is admirable, in fact - but how you can be so sure Courtois will eclipse Cech is beyond me. I have high hopes for Courtois and fully expect him to be our number one in a couple of years, but as to how anyone can say he is even close to Cech at this period in time.... I'm afraid to say those people are the ones ridiculing themselves...

Totally agree with you. Cech deserves to be delicately dealt with, and not just simply discarded as so many people are discussing. He is possibly one of the top ten greatest players to ever play for us, and certainly our best goalkeeper historically. Courtois is an amazing talent and I think one day he can be as good as Cech is now, but I don't think he will ever touch the level of Cech between 2004 and 2006. I don't think I will ever see another goalkeeper reach those heights.

As I have said before, it is certainly a nice headache to have.

However it is clear there are two very stubborn sides to this argument. I have expressed my own very pragmatic viewpoints, and as I can sense some members are getting personal, I am going to withdraw from the thread having stated my case.

What do I care he's Belgian? What do I win by that, if he was from Zimbabwe I would be saying the same thing. I do not care about Belgium or its players. I just want to see the best starting XI Chelsea has to offer.

I'm anything but patriotic, I couldn't care less if this entire country was washed away by sea. Im just realistic, there is no way a player is going to step down from a hero in madrid to an anonymous premier league keeper.

I'd care if our country disappeared. These days the 'patriots' in mindset are those that actually want it gone ...

but I don't think he will ever touch the level of Cech between 2004 and 2006. I don't think I will ever see another goalkeeper reach those heights.

007 would say: never say never! Remember Lev Yashin, Schmeichel, Sepp Maier, Kahn, Buffon, Preud'homme and even Pfaff .... What they did in their glory period was amazing, awesome as well.

It is difficult to compare but every generation has its heroes ... Courtois may just be the next one in line and I am happy he is ours.