Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

When was he converted to a goalkeeper? Didn't he start out as an outfield player? Whoever coached him did a tremendous job in the transition.

We have a saying in Brazil: Everybody starts as a striker, then they move down until they become GKs!

When was he converted to a goalkeeper? Didn't he start out as an outfield player? Whoever coached him did a tremendous job in the transition.

He started out as a defender in Bilzerse VV. A year later he played in Genk (1998) where they made a goalie out of him :-) Genk has a superb youth academy ...

At age 6 the Genk coaches converted him from lb..

Stingray beat me to it.. No i even doubt if he was 6 or 8..

We have a saying in Brazil: Everybody starts as a striker, then they move down until they become GKs!

That is a brilliant saying. I remember when I was really young (6/7) when we played football (soccer...) everyone played as a striker; there were even no goalkeepers (or 'goldies'). They'd be about 20 kids playing and only two or three of them had actually watched a game!

I had terrible reaction time and hand eye coordination till I was about 15! So I never played sports much.

Have you ever heard of Ter Stegen? i am sure they are many who could make the case he is the best U21 GK.

Of course I have, I've watched Gladbach a little and he's always impressed me. Also, in Football Manager he is a beast of a goalkeeper and I always buy him: :Goober:

Still, I don't think he's quite at the same level as Courtois, who has already won a couple of titles in his career and is the more experienced of the two.

I truly think Courtois is further in his development at this time (experience : winning titles, european football, national team, ... ) Talentwise .... Nobody knows. It is mere speculation.

If you think Courtois is better then thats fair, and you definitely have an argument there. I just think it is ridiculous for others to say he is hands down or without a doubt the best U21 GK, i think it is arguable and i can make a case for Ter Stegen.

Ter Stegen's form has dropped a little, he isn't that outstanding like he was last season. Courtois is at least on one level with him IMO.

Nah i think that perception is more to do with the form Mönchengladbach, they were much better team last season and obviously he was getting more credit. I really cant say he has dropped form personally.

That was my argument he is on the same level as Courtois. I really don't like comparing player x to player y, especially when both players are only 20 and with little body of work. Not to mention both play in different leagues.

A GK at Barca needs to be really good with the ball at his foot, i haven't seen Courtois demonstrate that on a consistent basis since Alti are not really known to build their attack from the back. So i am not sure if Courtois would be a good candidate or will attract Barca.

I had terrible reaction time and hand eye coordination till I was about 15! So I never played sports much.

Sooooooooo what happened at 15 that resulted in a better eye hand coordination? Had a lot of special 'training' around that time maybe?

Lol.

New video of his highlights at Athletico.

Also for the people laughing at £10million, Craig Gordon is the 4th most expensive 'keeper in the world at £9million, while the £7million we paid for Cech is the 6th highest fee ever for a goalkeeper. The market for 'keepers is not as valuable as outfield players so I'm not surprised Barce would start at £10million(if the rumour is true).

Having said that.. it is rare for a top class 'keeper to leave for a big price mostly because try usually just stay at the club they're at. While world class outfield players will always move for big prices, world class 'keepers will only play for 1-2 clubs during their peak. Players like Lloris, Neuer, were also at the end of their contract, so had cut price moves.

John Chapman@BelgoFoot Mignolet very good, Courtois is special. RT @C5mith: In your opinion who's better keeper currently and future between Miglonet or Courtois?
I'd rather say he'll be one of top 5 world keepers in a couple of years. RT @JoeeLloyd: how much would you say Courtois is worth right now?

Now that I'm in the cream, (yes I just made that up) I thought I'd carry on some thoughts about Courtois..

Firstly I think we could well be in a situation in a year or two that is similar to Hart/Given and to a lesser extent Lloris/Freidal, where we have two top 'keepers, one the up and coming talent, the other is still a top 'keeper, but only another 2-3 years at the top. We may have to do what was done in the two scenarios above and play the younger 'keeper for the sake of long term benefit, even though he is new, and the older 'keeper has not done anything wrong. This does make me sad as I love Cech, but remember he would have had 10 very successful years at Chelsea, so it will have to come to an end.

It may seem like I'm just trying to say, 'out with the old, in with the new', but I do think that's what'll have to happen if Courtois comes back. It depends though, still a lot of variables..

Which leads me onto my second point - I think we all just assume Courtois will come back and be possible back-up as he beds himself into the team. This is not even about him leaving for Barce - Atletico have a good thing going on under Simeone. He will have been there for two years now. He's won trophies with them, and it seems like he has a symbiotic relationship with the fans. He is likely very, 'settled' there. They are also a Champions League club, have some world class players, and seem to finally fulfilling the potential Atletico had for competing with Madrid and Barce.

I don't think there's a 100% chance he'll want to come back, espiecally if we are doing worse in the CL and league then Atletico. While Courtois is a great player, he is also very confident and ambitious from what I've read and heard in comparison to the more mild-mannered Cech, and I do worry he'd want to go back to Spain.

Also, Drogba and Torred were 'keepers in their youth I think, but went to strike at a similar age Courtois went back into goal. Drogba - great decision. Torres seems to also remember of the times he was a goalkeeper by stopping any goals being scored.

At age 6 the Genk coaches converted him from lb..

Stingray beat me to it.. No i even doubt if he was 6 or 8..

lol at that age it really doesnt matter what position you play isn't it?

How about Mignolet who was a midfielder until age 14 ! :blink:

You've got to take into account that Courtois is in a very tough competitive race with Mignolet for the starter position in this emerging Belgian side, which if things go according to plan will make it to Brazil 2014. As you might have noticed, Mignolet is having a brilliant season and has been one of the best GK's in the league the past year.
Courtois can't risk getting stuck anywhere with limited playing time and loose his place in that starting eleven. Wouldn't be surprised if he'd push for a last year at Atletico where he feels safe and appreciated and sure of Champions League football.

Now, I still don't believe he's on par with Cech. Atletico's defence has to get the greatest credit in his amount of clean sheets and goals conceited. He's faced the least amount of shots in La Liga, and to be completely fair, is ranked amonst the bottom of keepers when you look at save %. Nevertheless: he's a very consistent keeper and statistics don't tell the whole story, he's great at organising and coaching his defenders and portraying a sense of security. Pretty dominant in the air aswell if you look at the standard in La Liga. But I wouldn't outright swap him with Cech just yet.