Portsmouth 0-1 Chelsea

The author says "In circumstances in which it was difficult to assess individual performances" then he begins to assess/criticize Torres (fair enough) and even Drogba (fair enough). Where was his assessment of Lampard (who I thought was even more anonymous than Torres or Drogba) or Yossi who I thought was one of the best performers on the pitch? I don't think either Torres or Drogba set the world on fire. I don't think they were the worst players on the pitch either.

I think it was a lazy review using Torres to catch the reader. Would it be as eye-catching if it said "Yossi had a good game"?

Aha, you must forgive me then.

I haven't seen the full game. I thought this was a good review after reading several others.. Hopefully CTV will show a full replay tomorrow :)

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha, you must forgive me then.

I haven't seen the full game. I thought this was a good review after reading several others.. Hopefully CTV will show a full replay tomorrow :)

I think the media sometimes gets a little lazy, takes an easy spin to churn out the words for their columns. I think they also assume most readers have a 5th grade education and need to be spoon-fed.

Not discounting the comments that the team, entire team, needs some work.

I think the media sometimes gets a little lazy, takes an easy spin to churn out the words for their columns. I think they also assume most readers have a 5th grade education and need to be spoon-fed.

This is hard work: 1) Torres didn't score, flop! 2) Torres scored, not a flop...for now...

Guest justin_3d

emo3.gif

Well, I read a couple of bad words about Torres, and not only in Indepentend.

The truth is: If Torres has a poor pré season I cant seem everything changing when the season starts.

The author says "In circumstances in which it was difficult to assess individual performances" then he begins to assess/criticize Torres (fair enough) and even Drogba (fair enough). Where was his assessment of Lampard (who I thought was even more anonymous than Torres or Drogba) or Yossi who I thought was one of the best performers on the pitch? I don't think either Torres or Drogba set the world on fire. I don't think they were the worst players on the pitch either.

I think it was a lazy review using Torres to catch the reader. Would it be as eye-catching if it said "Yossi had a good game"?

your analysis is EXACTLY correct . Overall we were disappointing but the report seemed to only aim at pleasing our critics .. Both Sturridge

and Yossi gave excellent performances and as for Lampard ..I keep joking about if he is still on his honeymoon.

lol I remember somewhere in the middle of the season before Carlo got sack, I was saying that these 4 where the one we should sell, and bring in 3 players. A Creative mid, RW and RB.

Even today i still think this holds truth.

We're agree.

Though, I'd add to that list a second creative midfielder and a striker.

Another creative midfielder because at the moment we have only McEachran and Benayoun who fit this description. Josh is too young to be an important player for the squad. And for Benayoun... He really isn't a world beater... A good little player yes, but he isn't the man who will make us beat Barça or ManU. And if the first creative mid is Mordic (what I hope for), then I want us to get someone who plays higher on the pitch, a bit like Nasri, Pastore or Ganso.

A striker because Sturridge is the only striker we have in which I have confidence, for the whole season. Drogba is still good, and imo he can still deliver some classy performances, but he is 33 and will turn 34... I don't think he can be good all year long. I don't see why I could have an ounce of confidence in our very own Ladyboy. And then, we have Kalou... Do I need to explain ?

I think there has been a few over the top reactions after yesterday, its a PRE SEASON FREINDLY so calm down.

Remember Jose's first pre season game was a 1-1 draw to Oxford.

I think there has been a few over the top reactions after yesterday, its a PRE SEASON FREINDLY so calm down.

Remember Jose's first pre season game was a 1-1 draw to Oxford.

This is exactly how I feel. What do people really expect?

It's pre-season friendly for a start, so it's never going to be a display of the best football we are capable of. You have a squad which isn't really put together with much thought, other than to give everybody 45 minutes. The whole team is swapped at half-time, and we have players missing, in our Brazilians and Cech for example.

I personally thought we we looked like a team who were trying to develop a better passing game, but one that just hasn't clicked yet. It will need time. The pace was actually pretty good. And no, not every pass and run came off, but again, we weren't playing with a finely tuned squad, just a mixture of everybody available.

And perhaps I'm just delusional, but I didn't think Bosingwa looked to bad yesterday.

Edited by kylehimself