The English Football Thread

Steve

This was a funny read (galery pics with captions actually)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11083631/The-alternative-Premier-League-table.html

I really laughed at some comments, and I know the higher the expectation the bigger the fall can be, but I love reading everyone's bet for us to win the title. This favorite air we have now about us is something that I really like feeling. I know it'll suck if we don't end up winning the league, but until then - although I do believe we will win it - I'll savor this feeling of everyone seeing us as clear favorites, the ones to beat, the almighty powerful Chelsea. Come on, it feels amazing to have people having this perception about us :wub:

The shade on Lukaku on Everton's piece made me laugh out loud and I also laughed at United (the Moyes part).

I'll copy ours and you can read the rest. I LOVE how they worded it.

thanks, I've fixed it.

I PROMISE NOT to bet on us winning anything

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Theo Walcott says arsenal have the fastest forward line in the premier league..

How do we compare ?

He always wanted to be a striker, it's never going to happen..

IMO its close. Welbeck and Alexis are fast but not faster than Hazard, Willian or Schürrle. Walcott is a bit faster than Salah and Remy. But Özil, Podolski and Cazorla are probably a bit slower than Oscar.

I guess it is like

Walcott>Salah>Remy>Willian>Hazard>Welbeck=Schürrle>Alexis>Oscar=Diego Costa>Cazorla>Podolski>Özil.

So it is pretty close. While I don't know exactly how he defnes forward line, cos ours as well as their's have had the players in their forward lines changed.

Also Swansea got Routledge and Dyer who are crazy fast.

Anyway, in terms of pace we have massively improved. I remember after Robben left, we never had a winger with really lighning pace and were stuck with playing Malouda, Anelka and Kalou on the wings. Did not matter too much cos we had Lamps and Drogs.

IMO its close. Welbeck and Alexis are fast but not faster than Hazard, Willian or Schürrle. Walcott is a bit faster than Salah and Remy. But Özil, Podolski and Cazorla are probably a bit slower than Oscar.

I guess it is like

Walcott>Salah>Remy>Willian>Hazard>Welbeck=Schürrle>Alexis>Oscar=Diego Costa>Cazorla>Podolski>Özil.

So it is pretty close. While I don't know exactly how he defnes forward line, cos ours as well as their's have had the players in their forward lines changed.

Anyway, in terms of pace we have massively improved. I remember after Robben left, we never had a winger with really lighning pace and were stuck with playing Malouda, Anelka and Kalou on the wings. Did not matter too much cos we had Lamps and Drogs.

Think Poldi and Ozil are faster than Oscar, not sure about Cazorla.

I guess it is like

Ramires is faster than most on the second half of the list.

Theo Walcott says arsenal have the fastest forward line in the premier league..

How do we compare ?

He always wanted to be a striker, it's never going to happen..

If Theo drops out Giroud and does a line of walcott, alexis and ox, than most definitely.

Hazard straightline speed is not that fast.

Hazard is the fastest and most effective since he always has perfect control of the ball when he sprints and keeps the ball in close proximity to his feet.

No point in running crazy like Aaron Lennon just to put a wasteful cross with no end product.

Think Poldi and Ozil are faster than Oscar, not sure about Cazorla.

Here I am pretty sure they are not. Oscar can beat a defender for pace when he has space, Özil can not do that. A year or two ago, I'd also have Poldi much faster than Oscar, but he has become rather slow.

Ramires is faster than most on the second half of the list.

I did not count him as attacking midfielder, but if you might, he surely would be in there. Esp his end pace is incredible.

Here I am pretty sure they are not. Oscar can beat a defender for pace when he has space, Özil can not do that. A year or two ago, I'd also have Poldi much faster than Oscar, but he has become rather slow.

I did not count him as attacking midfielder, but if you might, he surely would be in there. Esp his end pace is incredible.

Nope Ozil is def faster, you clearly don't know Ozil, you should youtube him (Madrid times). Oscar can't beat opponents with his pace, that's one of his weaknesses as a 10/AM.

Nope Ozil is def faster, you clearly don't know Ozil, you should youtube him (Madrid times). Oscar can't beat opponents with his pace, that's one of his weaknesses as a 10/AM.

He's german, has been watching Ozil since he's a professional and you dare to say he clearly doesn't know Ozil? Sorry, but that's at least ironic, not to say funny...

Also Ozil is slow although I'm not advocating Oscar is faster. I tend to agree more about your assessment on Oscar than yours on Ozil. Ozil not only is slow, but also lazy...

He's german, has been watching Ozil since he's a professional and you dare to say he clearly doesn't know Ozil? Sorry, but that's at least ironic, not to say funny...

Also Ozil is slow although I'm not advocating Oscar is faster. I tend to agree more about your assessment on Oscar than yours on Ozil. Ozil not only is slow, but also lazy...

So because he's German, he knows all the German players well? I've been watching Ozil since wc 2010 and ALL his games at Real Madrid, so I can also have a say here. Ozil can beat players with pace but just doesn't do it often. Oscar is not a fast player, I think most of the members would agree with that.

Also, why are you talking about Ozils laziness, nothing to do with his pace..

I said last night after England's win that the media and "pundits " would go overboard ,,I never

expected it to rise to such levels , 3 days ago Hodgson should be sacked and we had no chance .

After an average performance against an average side we have a team of potential world beaters ,

I have seen this scenario replayed for over 40 years ,, but today it is delusion at Liverpool to

the power five

So because he's German, he knows all the German players well? I've been watching Ozil since wc 2010 and ALL his games at Real Madrid, so I can also have a say here. Ozil can beat players with pace but just doesn't do it often. Oscar is not a fast player, I think most of the members would agree with that.

what's the point of guy supposedly being able to run if he doesn't bother because he's lazy. I think there's a hell lot to do with how pacey or not he is.

Magic Lamps has been very assertive in all his analysis on German players, he's a football fan and he's been watching Ozil for a long while. It's not even about you agreeing or disagreeing, but going as far as saying he clearly doesn't know Ozil... a bit too precious, don't you think?

It's really surprising that you assess Ozil like that when most people I know don't - me being one of them. As a Madrid fan I've watched a lot of them until 2012. Haven't watched last season - then again Ozil was already at Arsenal - and it puzzles me that you think he can beat players with pace. Unless you mean the likes of John Terry - who are very slow. Ozil doesn't like to run, prefers to pass, takes the shortcuts whenever he can (hence why I call him lazy) and he doesn't beat many with pace. Can't remember one single play of it happening... but if you think so, be my guest. But Magic Lamps knows his stuff when he talks about German players - even if I disagree with him in many other things, normally he's assessment of them is spot on.

I do think Oscar is also slow, and I even joked about him trying to beat someone with pace against Leicester. Not gonna happen... he doesn't have it on him.

what's the point of guy supposedly being able to run if he doesn't bother because he's lazy. I think there's a hell lot to do with how pacey or not he is.

Magic Lamps has been very assertive in all his analysis on German players, he's a football fan and he's been watching Ozil for a long while. It's not even about you agreeing or disagreeing, but going as far as saying he clearly doesn't know Ozil... a bit too precious, don't you think?

It's really surprising that you assess Ozil like that when most people I know don't - me being one of them. As a Madrid fan I've watched a lot of them until 2012. Haven't watched last season - then again Ozil was already at Arsenal - and it puzzles me that you think he can beat players with pace. Unless you mean the likes of John Terry - who are very slow. Ozil doesn't like to run, prefers to pass, takes the shortcuts whenever he can (hence why I call him lazy) and he doesn't beat many with pace. Can't remember one single play of it happening... but if you think so, be my guest. But Magic Lamps knows his stuff when he talks about German players - even if I disagree with him in many other things, normally he's assessment of them is spot on.

I do think Oscar is also slow, and I even joked about him trying to beat someone with pace against Leicester. Not gonna happen... he doesn't have it on him.

As so often you are absolutely spot on. Germany is a country that is crazy for football and when you are interested in it, there is no way you get around Özil.

I have actually seen Özil since his Schalke days. I have seen him like most German players every time they played for the NT + on sportschau+ on MOTD. Özil does not run on players. NOt only because he is lazy, but also because he is not good at it. When visiting the GErmany NT trianing camp, I have seen him sprinting without the ball, too-it was not too impressive.

ON the other hand Oscar is not only not lazy, he is one of the most eager runners on the pitch, but he also has a bit of pace. Remember when he beat Höwedes at Schalke to set up Torres goal at Schalke last season. He simply beat a defender, who is not slow himself, for pace. Also he scored our winner at Sparta Prague last season with a very quick injection of pace. Oscar is not exactly lightnig, but he surely is no slouch either.

We were talking about pace and the ability to beat players with pace, not about work-rate or other things.

I agree with you, Ozil is more a play maker who loves to pass and assist others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6veCDh7Comg (3:43, a great rush where he showed his pace)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNHlrHfr3nY (2.41, another great run)

I never said he's a speed monster like Di Maria/Ronaldo, my only point was, he's faster than Oscar.

I said last night after England's win that the media and "pundits " would go overboard ,,I never

expected it to rise to such levels , 3 days ago Hodgson should be sacked and we had no chance .

After an average performance against an average side we have a team of potential world beaters ,

I have seen this scenario replayed for over 40 years ,, but today it is delusion at Liverpool to

the power five

Did you see England win the world cup?