Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

Teams have started blocking us in the middle, knowing Jorginho controls our tempo, knowing Hazard likes to drift into the middle. It has been tough for us in recent weeks, but tactically, packing so many players in the middle against us means there should be space on the flanks. Who do we have on our flanks? Alonso and Azpi. At least I see Azpi assisting Giroud with crosses, but what does Alonso contribute if he doesn't score a worldie in the match? What did Alonso do with all that space he got from fulham packing players around Jorginho? He couldn't supply one of the best headers in the game with one cross, he just crossed it into the stands, couldn't make runs into the space for our midfielders to find him, couldn't beat a marker 1 on 1...... These are things Robertson, Trippier, Mendy, Marcelo, Carvajal, Alba, Alaba do on a daily basis. These guys don't score every match, but with the way they play, any attacker ahead of them enjoys a lot of space because of the threat from the fullbacks.

Image result for chelsea arsenal alonso tactics

Marcos Alonso Chelsea Tactical Analysis Statistics

Alonso is a weakness and is beginning to stifle Hazard with his play style,  I mean, why does he make runs inside and force Hazard wide (away from the danger area) instead of keeping the width and forcing a defender to go wide to mark him hence creating space in the middle for a more dangerous Hazard? It's annoying really. His only strength is his shooting ability and that attribute is more useful to an attacker or midfielder.

Hazard is not stifled by anyone but himself. He was never that direct to make these sort of runs, not even when he had more support around him with Oscar still doing the dirty work for him. All I hear is excuses for him not to be the player folks imagine him to be.

Alonso is a left midfield. He was a left midfielder with Conte and is a left midfielder with Sarri.

I have no issues if folks want something different from a LB, overlaps, early crosses, but please take the time to understand positions and especially roles. They are not the same thing.

Been seeing variations of this for decades as I posted below. This should really work esp when employing 3 CMs (like we do) who can cover the sides in midfield. 

And please do check Alonso's heat map to see it clearly where he operates. It's not like he's surprising us in not doing certain things that LBs do....

13 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Teams have started blocking us in the middle, knowing Jorginho controls our tempo, knowing Hazard likes to drift into the middle. It has been tough for us in recent weeks, but tactically, packing so many players in the middle against us means there should be space on the flanks. Who do we have on our flanks? Alonso and Azpi. At least I see Azpi assisting Giroud with crosses, but what does Alonso contribute if he doesn't score a worldie in the match? What did Alonso do with all that space he got from fulham packing players around Jorginho? He couldn't supply one of the best headers in the game with one cross, he just crossed it into the stands, couldn't make runs into the space for our midfielders to find him, couldn't beat a marker 1 on 1...... These are things Robertson, Trippier, Mendy, Marcelo, Carvajal, Alba, Alaba do on a daily basis. These guys don't score every match, but with the way they play, any attacker ahead of them enjoys a lot of space because of the threat from the fullbacks.

Image result for chelsea arsenal alonso tactics

Marcos Alonso Chelsea Tactical Analysis Statistics

Alonso is a weakness and is beginning to stifle Hazard with his play style,  I mean, why does he make runs inside and force Hazard wide (away from the danger area) instead of keeping the width and forcing a defender to go wide to mark him hence creating space in the middle for a more dangerous Hazard? It's annoying really. His only strength is his shooting ability and that attribute is more useful to an attacker or midfielder.

Eden is not being stifled because of Alonso, that is a lame excuse, if a left back can see those runs and make them then why can't a world class player like Eden do it? Its not rocket science to run in between the full back and center back or between the centre backs in more central areas is it? Eden like Willian too, comes to the ball far too much, particularly in deeper areas of the pitch (an issue Sarri has mentioned he should be wanting to get much more involved in the final third) he should be looking to get beyond and finish off moves, this has always been why people will question whether or not he will score more than 20 or 30 goals a season. Pedro is a great example I think, somebody who is not as gifted technically but will always bundle goals in somehow because hes selfless and will run off the back of teams even if he doesn't get it 99 out of 100 times because he knows eventually he will get it. Fair enough hes not going to score 30 goals a season but he will get 10+ this season in the PL, which for a player who isn't exactly at the level he was years ago or particularly blessed with anything that sticks out like Eden is with regards to dribbling, key passes etc is impressive. 

A lack of width is stifling the team more than anything, its like under Di Matteo were we are continuously looking to play through the centre as if its the only option and it cannot be done every match 38 times a season, teams defend and congest the middle of the pitch more than anything these days.... Conte's 343 system should have taught us the value of width, even if its having Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso providing it, they were always so wide it stretches teams and created spaces for the likes of Eden, Pedro, Willian infield. There are other variables but Alonso is not a direct fault for Eden, they get in each others way at times though and I've always felt theres too much instance from Eden and Willian particularly to come inside at times to pass to each other when there are better/other options.

Even Sarri's Napoli, like Peps Bayern and City team, had the full backs play more centrally, to create overloads and combination plays. The key is having good variation. Which we don't have, although this Alonso plays almost as a 10 or striker talk is bullshit, on average he is the widest player in the team in terms of position. 

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Eden is not being stifled because of Alonso, that is a lame excuse, if a left back can see those runs and make them then why can't a world class player like Eden do it? Its not rocket science to run in between the full back and center back or between the centre backs in more central areas is it? Eden like Willian too, comes to the ball far too much, particularly in deeper areas of the pitch (an issue Sarri has mentioned he should be wanting to get much more involved in the final third) he should be looking to get beyond and finish off moves, this has always been why people will question whether or not he will score more than 20 or 30 goals a season. Pedro is a great example I think, somebody who is not as gifted technically but will always bundle goals in somehow because hes selfless and will run off the back of teams even if he doesn't get it 99 out of 100 times because he knows eventually he will get it. Fair enough hes not going to score 30 goals a season but he will get 10+ this season in the PL, which for a player who isn't exactly at the level he was years ago or particularly blessed with anything that sticks out like Eden is with regards to dribbling, key passes etc is impressive. 

A lack of width is stifling the team more than anything, its like under Di Matteo were we are continuously looking to play through the centre as if its the only option and it cannot be done every match 38 times a season, teams defend and congest the middle of the pitch more than anything these days.... Conte's 343 system should have taught us the value of width, even if its having Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso providing it, they were always so wide it stretches teams and created spaces for the likes of Eden, Pedro, Willian infield. There are other variables but Alonso is not a direct fault for Eden, they get in each others way at times though and I've always felt theres too much instance from Eden and Willian particularly to come inside at times to pass to each other when there are better/other options.

Even Sarri's Napoli, like Peps Bayern and City team, had the full backs play more centrally, to create overloads and combination plays. The key is having good variation. Which we don't have, although this Alonso plays almost as a 10 or striker talk is bullshit, on average he is the widest player in the team in terms of position. 

Pep has walker or Lahm play narrow because he has Sterling/Sane stay wide and high in attack. But on the left wing, Hazard likes to come inside, so unless we want to change our best players game-play by telling him to stay wide only, then Alonso has to stop running into the box every second and make wider runs to get into crossing/cutback positions. There must be width on each side of the pitch to ease the mid-block everyone is using against Jorginho. 

I admit Hazard can do better, but trust me Hazard will prefer to play with an Ashley cole 11 times out of 10 over Alonso. A selfless fullback making runs off the ball, putting in dangerous crosses and beating his marker 1 on 1 is what Alonso is not. I hate this feeling I get from matches where the opponent is marking everyone else and leaving Alonso free, and once we switch the ball to a free Alonso, he is too slow to take advantage of the space and they cover him immediately. (Hes looking like the last year of Ivanovic in all honesty)

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2018/12/4/18125374/sarri-on-alonso-morata-performances-pulisic-rumors-squad-fitness

“I don’t know [if the injury made a difference to Alonso’s performance]. I don’t think you can say that after the match. Maybe during the match the back worsened, this is possible. I want to speak to him, he didn’t play very well. I know this, but I think he knows this. It can happen and today we will see the reaction and the situation of the back. For the doctor it is better.”

Good to see Sarri come out and say "he didn’t play very well" hopefully he acts on it tho!

I always have a feeling that when player isn't playing well, manager mentions some kind of injury to protect him and for media not to start crapping. Even if player wasn't injured.

Alonso is fairly likeable guy, but blindness of some people about him always surprised me. Every, EVERY player could look good if your put him at the system that covers all of his shortcomings. That, by some extent, was Contes' 3-4-3. Matić and 3 defenders to cover his ass, and Hazard with Costa upfront to cover his mistakes upfront.

I hope Sarri went off of the narrative that he could become "best left back" if he improves defensively. Please, plan replacing him and give Emerson a chance. I don't even want to start counting his deficiencies, anyone with the brain is aware of them.

It's also funny how are we always mentioning RW as a position that we need to upgrade urgently. Well, maybe we do, if we don't bring quality striker, but the truth is - Pedro/Willian combo is much better at what they do than Alonso, especially in-form Pedro.

Sarri's words seem to mean fuck all. Sarri himself said Alonso had had a bad game at the weekend. Yet, he selects him a few days later. And it seems Alonso will get selected again because Emerson cannot even make the match squad.

Today's performance is certainly one of the most embarrasing ones I have ever seen in a Chelsea player.