The Mourinho Thread

Jose to me can't be the perfect manager. Jose is a manager that only cares about results. Not long term progression nor youth team acclimation.

Don't know who the best manager currently is, but one quote from Thierry Henry is the reason why I can never accept Jose as the best manager.

Barça have an identity. The most beautiful thing Ive ever heard from a coach was Guardiolas talk before the 2009 Champions League final. He said: Guys, all I want is that, at the end of the game, people tell me that Barça played football. The only thing I dont want us to lose tonight is our identity. Have a good game. And that was that.

Brendan has a similar idea to things, and choose it over the title.

I think a lot of you on here have been fooled with the early good results of this season and are more likely overrating this squad we have. This team massively improved from 2 years ago but it doesn't have the quality to dominate games playing attacking football against the biggest sides of Europe. Jose when he was in charge of Real Madrid or even Chelsea during his first stint wasn't as defensive as he is being now and there's a good reason behind it. You don't play a certain football style when your team is unable to. It's basics of football.

Mourinho is playing this side to its strengths, being pragmatic at times surely like when we're playing a big side away from home. but this team would get slaughtered if it played with more open tactics. Some of the most obvious examples of this are the games at St James Park or WHL. We lack mobility, speed and technical ability to play at a higher pace and intensity. If we allow too many players to be more adventurous we will be losing possession more often than not and fail to recover it.

Jose when he came here for the second time, had to deal with a squad of aging players and very young ones. He was asked for immediate results despite being in a transition period and he delivered. Top 3 in BPL only a few points behind the leader, semi finals of UCL. This season, we are still in a transition period but the expectations are even higher yet I feel a lot of supporters think this squad is complete and is on par with the best teams in Europe.

Sorry but I have to express myself frankly here; what an absolute pile of nonsense.

Had Guardiola given that speech while in charge of Chelsea in Munich on 19/05/2012, Bayern would still be celebrating now. You can say stuff like this when you are in charge of a team widely regarded as the best club side ever, but in other circumstances it would be suicidal stupidity. Pep played to his side's strengths. He had every reason to believe that his men would beat anybody if they played as they can. What he needed to do therefore was simply get them to do their stuff.

Any idiot can give the speech, but what is the speech without a realistic hope of success? Pure vanity, that's what. I wouldn't dream of calling Pep vain. He'd assess his squad's strength's and react accordingly, I'm sure. Could he have led Chelsea to glory on that night in Munich? None of us know but we all do know that had he sent them out to just play football, Bayern Munich would have made him look foolish.

One day I'd like a Chelsea manager to send his team out with a speech like that ringing in their ears but that day is not today.

And that manager that led that night got sacked a season later....

And the Captain was suspended as well..

RDM won 2 trophies and was still sacked a season later...

And how many of those players are on the starting 11 for chelsea now?

Doesn't take rocket scientist to understand that you can win trophies sitting back and parking the bus and countering...

When a manager like RDM takes probably one of the worst overall chelsea teams in the premier league era and wins both the champion league and fa cup....

True but what does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that Robbie would not have been sacked had he given the Guardiola speech? Of course you're not, and I understand that you're not.

There are many factors which contribute to a manager retaining his job. Not making stupidly inappropriate speeches is only one of them.

True but what does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that Robbie would not have been sacked had he given the Guardiola speech? Of course you're not, and I understand that you're not.

There are many factors which contribute to a manager retaining his job. Not making stupidly inappropriate speeches is only one of them.

How is that speech stupid? barcelona during the pep era played a specific style of football. Players joined barcelona so they can played that style of football.

Henry, even though was outcasted to the wings, still stayed on for barca because of that style of football and pep. Mario Gotze could of went elsewhere in a bigger contract, but went to munich for pep.

Offensive players love winning, but they love playing specific football. At real madrid, a lot of the players turned their backs on jose because of his philosophy on football.

SO, honestly, I would be surprised if Jose stayed on chelsea long term.

Like Greavsie said Pep had the players to do it, if there came a point were he had no option but to defend deep, he will probably do that too.

The best manager's for me are the tactically adaptable, ie Mou, Simeone, Pep even, managers that preach philosophy, identity and refuse to adapt in a ridiculous stubborn/petty show of some moral high ground are ruining the game.

Like Greavsie said Pep had the players to do it, if there came a point were he had no option but to defend deep, he will probably do that too.

The best manager's for me are the tactically adaptable, ie Mou, Simeone, Pep even, managers that preach philosophy, identity and refuse to adapt in a ridiculous stubborn/petty show of some moral high ground are ruining the game.

To me, Jose excels at 2 things.

mentality and positioning.

It's one thing to park the bus with a subpar chelsea team a few seasons back against munich and barca, but its another thing to park the bus and play very conservatively against shit teams in the epl... When you have the quality that this team possesses now, you shouldn't be playing conservatively.

How is that speech stupid? barcelona during the pep era played a specific style of football. Players joined barcelona so they can played that style of football.

Henry, even though was outcasted to the wings, still stayed on for barca because of that style of football and pep. Mario Gotze could of went elsewhere in a bigger contract, but went to munich for pep.

Offensive players love winning, but they love playing specific football. At real madrid, a lot of the players turned their backs on jose because of his philosophy on football.

SO, honestly, I would be surprised if Jose stayed on chelsea long term.

Where did I say the speech was stupid?

To me, Jose excels at 2 things.

mentality and positioning.

It's one thing to park the bus with a subpar chelsea team a few seasons back against munich and barca, but its another thing to park the bus and play very conservatively against shit teams in the epl... When you have the quality that this team possesses now, you shouldn't be playing conservatively.

Big away games we mainly play that way, sometimes home if circumstance dictates (City).

Fergie was the same, how many times did he come Stamford Bridge and attack and open the game up? Not very many, if any.

Big away games we mainly play that way, sometimes home if circumstance dictates (City).

Fergie was the same, how many times did he come Stamford Bridge and attack and open the game up? Not very many, if any.

true, but Im not a big fan of fergie play style as well or united in general.

true, but Im not a big fan of fergie play style as well or united in general.

It seems like you're hardly a Chelsea fan at all. We have never played the football you described and fancy.

No offense, no judgement, just curious.

It seems like you're hardly a Chelsea fan at all. We have never played the football you described and fancy.

No offense, no judgement, just curious.

Your telling me Jose never played conservatively?

Because I said Jose isn't the perfect manager? ok.